2020 car tax

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: 2020 car tax

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 pm

If anybody is really interested, and I am not sure I would recommend it, the requirement for Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is specified in Article 97 of Directive (EU) 2015/2366. Article 98 charges the EBA, in cooperation with the ECB and all interested parties, to develop the technical standards needed to provide SCA. Those standards are not in the Directive. SCA was supposed to be fully implemented by 14 September 2019 although temporary delays are allowed in some countries.

I don't know the details of the technical standards but I think, as Peebee suggests, it is possible that not every single transaction has to undergo SCA. For example, it is supposed to apply to logging on to your bank account but you can designate a device as a trusted device and then second authentication is not required to log on from that device. I think Peebee is correct that you can designate a payee as a trusted payee and then you will not be asked to verify each time you make a payment to that payee but I can't guarantee that. You probably need to check a box when making a payment to them. I seem to recall seeing reports that authentication would increase from 1 or 2 percent of transactions to around 25 percent.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Yeah, right I have the app and my phone is the trusted recipient ...but I don't always get the message in time 'cos the signal in this village is so patchy.. sometimes when I jump in the truck and come down of the mountain .. I get three days worth of sms's... :?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yeah, right I have the app and my phone is the trusted recipient ...but I don't always get the message in time 'cos the signal in this village is so patchy.. sometimes when I jump in the truck and come down of the mountain .. I get three days worth of sms's... :?

Have you thought of trying to make a passive repeater? Basically you buy two antennas, one high gain and one low gain, tuned to whatever frequency your phone uses. You mount the high gain antenna on a pole as high as you can and the low gain antenna in the corner of the room where you mostly use the phone. Point the high gain antenna towards the nearest mobile mast of whichever provider you use. Connect the two antennas with a length of low loss coaxial cable. Signals picked up by the high gain antenna from the mobile mast should be re-radiated inside the house and signals from the phone should be picked up by the low gain antenna and beamed at the mast. I don't know if it has ever been tried for mobile signals but I know a similar system has been used successfully to improve TV broadcast reception in valleys. In that case the two antennas are mounted back to back on the same mast on a hill top with the high gain one pointing at the broadcast antenna and the low gain one pointing into the valley. No electronics involved at all.

Just a thought.

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:21 am

My pain is logging in to a Swiss bank.
Go to login page
Enter customer ID #
Enter 8 digit password into card reader (having searched for it before starting) which
generates another 8 digit alpha numeric code
Enter that code into box on 2nd login page
Finally enter four characters from a customer defined 'secret word'. There are four columns
with drop down boxes containing 26 characters and numbers 0 to 9. The 'secret word' is, e.g.
numbskull28. There's an instruction to select, say, the 3rd, 5th, 10th, 1st character from
the word so, m, s, 2, n, and you're in.
New payees have to be verified with a 6 digit code sent by SMS for the first transaction but
not for subsequent ones.
It is reasonably secure though.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:58 am

It would have been nice if the EBA, in designing the standard, had got all banks to agree on exactly what must and/or can/cannot be in a password, e.g. range of lengths, must/can it have upper and lower case, must/can it include numbers, must/can it include other characters and if so which ones. Every bank seems to have a different ideas and even different ideas within the same bank for different passwords.

It would also be nice, when creating a password for the first time in signing up for an account, if it listed the requirements below the box. NS&I are (were?) particularly bad. When I first signed up for an online account I think I entered a long password using only lower case letters and numbers. I got an error that the password must include both upper and lower case letters. When I changed the password to include upper case letters I then got another error that the password must include non-alphanumeric characters. I changed the password yet again and I got a third message saying that the non-alphanumeric character I had chosen was not one of the allowed characters and gave me a list of ones that were. A good lesson in how to maximise customer irritation.

Lloyds also use the drop down boxes in which you have to select specified characters from a password, a to z and 0 to 9. Unfortunately the box isn't quite long enough so you have to scroll down to select higher letters and all the numbers. Why not make the boxes a bit longer?

I think Barclays and possibly HSBC are using the card reader technique but I am not sure where in the sequence they are used. Lloyds and Santander seem to be relying on SMS/landline authentication. Alpha bank in Greece used to use a dongle to generate a one time code but seem to have abandoned that in favour of SMS. I still haven't fully worked out when they are asking for extra verification and when they aren't. If I am making an online payment, i.e. on the supplier's web site not the bank's, with my credit card I seem to get sent an SMS every time. I can log onto my account with a single password, however, and make online payments to DEI, DEYBA, Cosmote, tax office etc with no extra verification. Previously I could log onto the account with a single password but I would would have had to enter a code from the dongle every time I made any kind of payment so security there has got less not more. I haven't tried to make an online transfer to an individual since the new rules came in so I don't know what happens then.

All the above refers to using browser access not a banking app.

Warwick

nuska

Postby nuska » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:11 pm

Ooops!
I printed and paid the car tax for 2020, have lost the printout somewhere, and cannot find how to make another. On the official page it says 'already paid' and will not print again. Can anyone help please?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:46 am

If you go to the TaxisNet web page and put your Tax Number and Registration Number you should get a pdf saying:

Kατεβλήθησαν τα τέλη κυκλοφορίας έτους 2020, για το όχημα: AAANNNN E.I.X./Δ.I.X. 1799 K.EK. 23

where AAANNNN is the Registration Number. The meaning is "The 2020 Vehicle Circulation Tax for vehicle: AAANNNN E.I.X./Δ.I.X. 1799 K.EK. 23 is paid" Print that out and keep it in the car. It should be as good a proof as the original form. Personally I save both the form and the payment receipt from the bank as pdf documents so I can print them again if necessary. Technically you don't need any proof at all as the police are supposed to be able to access government records and check for themselves but this is Greece...

Warwick

nuska

Postby nuska » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks Warwick :)

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:42 am

Kilkis wrote:If you go to the TaxisNet web page and put your Tax Number and Registration Number you should get a pdf saying:

Kατεβλήθησαν τα τέλη κυκλοφορίας έτους 2020, για το όχημα: AAANNNN E.I.X./Δ.I.X. 1799 K.EK. 23

where AAANNNN is the Registration Number. The meaning is "The 2020 Vehicle Circulation Tax for vehicle: AAANNNN E.I.X./Δ.I.X. 1799 K.EK. 23 is paid" Print that out and keep it in the car. It should be as good a proof as the original form. Personally I save both the form and the payment receipt from the bank as pdf documents so I can print them again if necessary. Technically you don't need any proof at all as the police are supposed to be able to access government records and check for themselves but this is Greece...

Warwick

Paid min on-line through my bank and printed off the screen that said payment successful. Should work. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Does anyone know if car tax can be paid at a main post office?

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:33 pm

I have, in the past, paid ours at the post office in Kalyves.
Someday is now : )

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you :)

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:56 am

TweetTweet wrote:Does anyone know if car tax can be paid at a main post office?

Yes, but you will have to print off your pay notification for your vehicle first, as described here https://insurance-greece.com/insurance- ... -road-tax/

Return to “General Discussion & News”