Haven't posted here for a while, but thought I'd ask the question even though I expect there to be no definitive answer...
Six weeks ago, my wife fell and suffered a dual-fracture her fibula just above the ankle. Her subsequent care has been performed privately by Cretan Medicare in Hersonissos which is where she was taken initially. Neither of us drive, and we have private health insurance through Cosmote, but she's not covered for treatment at CMC, only Affidea in Heraklion and having already had treatment elsewhere I doubt our insurance would cover any costs now.
It now looks as if she may need an operation on the injury as there is still signs of fracture after six weeks where one fracture has healed but the other appears not to have healed, or is healing at a much slower rate; the Orthopaedic Surgeon at CMC wants to leave the injury another couple of weeks to see if it shows better signs of healing. He hasn't ruled out an operation though.
Neither of us are pensionable age so we're not drawing a pension from the UK; we do have E111 cards, but I don't think we'd be able to get her treatment through that scheme. We both have AMKA/IKA, and she has been working this season.
So, questions in the event an op is needed:
1) What is the procedure for booking in for an operation? Does the doctor give us a letter or note to take to the hospital to arrange an appointment date?
2) Would anyone have or be able to offer a ballpark cost of how much an operation like this to repin the fibula might cost through private vs state hospital? I know it comes down to the materials used, and the time and complexity of the operation, but an idea of the costs would be handy so I can arrange for the money to be available.
3) If we decide on state hospital, can we use any hospital, or does it need to be one within the prefecture we live? We are in Hersonissos so fall under Heraklion prefecture, but Agios Nikolaos would be easier and just as quick for us to get to rather than the nightmare Heraklion traffic.
The OS isn't interested in giving this information out until he has seen the results of the next Xray in a couple of weeks' time it would seem. If we need to wait 2 weeks, we'd still rather set the ball rolling on getting a potential operation date now rather than delay for 2 weeks then start the process down the line.