Earthquake

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mixos

Re: Earthquake

Postby Mixos » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 am

I think that might be a little fanciful, as there have been two other earthquakes -- one north of Sitia and another out beyond Rhodes -- in the same period, and there's no oil drilling going on there. There have been numerous tremors all around the "Hellenic Arc" recently so I would imagine it's just part of the natural seismic activity in this part of the Med.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:56 am

Also the quake that triggered this thread was to the north West of Crete.

I am not aware of any association between earthquakes and normal drilling for oil. There is almost certainly a causal relationship between fracking and large numbers of small earthquakes. In the USA research has shown that the main cause is the injection of waste water into deep wells. In fracking a mixture of water sand and a variety of chemicals are injected into the shale containing the gas and oil deposits to fracture the shale and allow the oil and gas to to escape. Unfortunately a large amount of highly contaminated waste water also comes back to the surface and has to be disposed of. Typically the frackers drill deep wells into porous rock below the shale deposits and pump the waste water into them. This builds up pressure in the porous rock strata which eventually releases as an earthquake. I believe the drilling to the south of Crete is simple exploratory drilling for conventional deposits so I don't think it can be associated with the current earthquakes.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 am

Precisely midnight. Whole house shook for several seconds! Wineglass didn't fall off coffee table. Phew!

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”