Greek EHIC card for a resident Brit?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Greek EHIC card for a resident Brit?

Postby GlennB » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:10 pm

Is it even possible for an expat Brit to get a Greek EHIC card? Seems like an odd thing to apply for, but you never know. I'm guessing it will be called EHIC even in Greek, but if not would be happy to be corrected.

Kilkis

Re: Greek EHIC card for a resident Brit?

Postby Kilkis » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:38 pm

It is not really about residency, it is more about who is responsible for your healthcare. It does become a little complicated because in the UK "responsibility" is largely determined by "residency" except for UK State Pensioners living abroad, at least currently.

If you work in Greece, pay EFKA and your healthcare is provided by EOPYY, paid for by your EFKA contributions, then you should be able to apply for a Greek EHIC. If you then visit another EU country they can claim any healthcare costs incurred during your visit from EFKA.

If you are a UK State Pensioner, who has applied for an S1 Form from DWP and has registered that S1 Form with EFKA, then you can apply for an EHIC card from the UK NOT from Greece. You used to have to apply through the Overseas Healthcare Team in DWP, not through the normal NHS system. I believe that has now changed to Overseas Healthcare Services within the NHS, still not the normal online method that a UK resident citizen would use. Details are:

Overseas Healthcare Services
NHS Business Services Authority
Bridge House
152 Pilgrim Street
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6SN
+44 (0) 191 218 1999

Anyone from the UK living permanently in Greece, not working and paying EFKA in Greece and not a UK State Pensioner is not entitled to an EHIC from Greece or the UK. Many people obtain one from the UK by pretending to be resident there and using a relative's/friend's address.

Warwick

PS For members who are citizens of another EU Member State you could simply substitute the name of your country everywhere it says UK in the above description and it should be valid for you as well.
PPS The above description is written totally ignoring Brexit on the assumption that the Withdrawal Agreement will be ratified, that it does deal with healthcare and everything will carry on as before. Those assumptions may or may not prove to be valid.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:48 pm

Cheers Warwick. This was my understanding too, but just checking.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:11 am

Yes I just got a EHIC card from the UK .. I applied for it over the phone very easy process .I told them I live in Greece and get a UK state pension and have an S1...it took about 14 days to arrive , it is valid until 2024 ....

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:... I applied for it over the phone very easy process ...

I agree it is a very easy process providing IKA/EOPYY/EFKA/Whatever the current name is have returned Part 2 of the S1 form to prove that you have used the S1 Form to register with them. If they have not done that, and it sometimes takes years for them to do so, then it gets a bit more difficult and you get to play Piggy in the Middle. Not so much fun.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:Yes I just got a EHIC card from the UK .. I applied for it over the phone very easy process .I told them I live in Greece and get a UK state pension and have an S1...it took about 14 days to arrive , it is valid until 2024 ....

You did better than me. 3 times I spent 10-15 minutes negotiating their nightmare robotic telephone tree, three times I got to the point where I was being connected to a human, 3 times I got cut off at that point. Grrrr

Did you use a landline or mobile? I was using skype so maybe that's the reason.

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:34 pm

GlennB wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:Yes I just got a EHIC card from the UK ..valid until 2024 ....

You did better than me. 3 times I spent 10-15 minutes negotiating their nightmare robotic telephone tree, three times I got to the point where I was being connected to a human, 3 times I got cut off at that point. Grrrr

I doubt Skype is to blame. When phoning any UK government department or agency I always use Skype on grounds of cost with the likely pillar to post jogging. I've never had a call terminated (except by me).

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:45 pm

filippos wrote:
GlennB wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:Yes I just got a EHIC card from the UK ..valid until 2024 ....

I doubt Skype is to blame. When phoning any UK government department or agency I always use Skype on grounds of cost with the likely pillar to post jogging. I've never had a call terminated (except by me).

I just used the landline ..I know it's expensive but we don't really have the bandwidth for skype ...

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:28 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:I just used the landline ..I know it's expensive but we don't really have the bandwidth for skype ...

I use Skype 4-way video call each week with less than 3.4 Mbps download speed (and less than 800 kbps upload). Problems are rare and usually caused by someone* deciding to download/stream a movie simultaneously.

For non-video voice calls to a telephone, the bandwidth requirement is much lower and I think that 1 Mbps download (and commensurate upload speed) would be adequate.

*Swmbo

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:20 am

Oh right satcure ..I though skype was bandwidth heavy ... our broadband comes via a satellite and the times I have used Skype in the past there was such a massive delay I found it difficult ...OK if it's yer brother or a friend ...but tricky if you a trying to do business or talk to an official ...I had assumed it was a bandwidth thing ....

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:37 am

Surprisingly little bandwidth needed to make a Skype call. https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1417 ... skype-need

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:42 am

Continuing the thread drift.... I regularly make both video and non-video calls using Skype, Whatsapp, and Viber. In all cases, the quality may be near perfect or absolute rubbish. I would be amazed if that does not apply to the vast majority of us.

I have no idea what influences it. (BTW, my download speed is fairly consistent around 14 Mbps)

Some possible problems to consider:

How near am I to my wifi access point? Ditto the other party.
Is someone downloading movies or similar on the wifi at either end?
Is there some sort of link problem on the internet somewhere in the 2000 miles between us?
Is one of the devices in use causing problems due to lack of RAM?
Is the upload speed at either end causing a bottleneck? Presumably the upload speed is just as important as the download speed.
Is it raining?
How many people are online locally?

At the end of the day, it's technology. Experiences will vary.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:46 am

Jeffstclair wrote:... our broadband comes via a satellite and the times I have used Skype in the past there was such a massive delay I found it difficult ...

I think that this is not a bandwidth problem but a circuit delay problem. Try using Speedtest and look at the ping time. On my landline broadband connection it is usually between 20 and 30 ms or occasionally a few ms longer. I think you will find that it is much longer on a satellite link, e.g. about 10 times bigger or even more? It is also a problem for online gamers. I suppose it is possible that such a delay could be responsible for the hang up problem but I don't have any evidence for that. I am not sure if it could be long enough for an automated call centre system to think that you have disconnected. It is possible that such systems do some sort of handshake periodically to check that you are still there and if it doesn't get a response fast enough it might assume you have gone. I think it is more likely that the call centre has screwed up and it would also have happened if you were on a normal landline phone. In my experience it is pretty common, especially when you are being rerouted to another member of staff or you are on hold while they check something.

Many of us now have landline telephones that use VOIP all the way from the house, i.e. your analogue voice signal is converted to a digital signal inside the router and transmitted over the internet like any other data. Skype does the same thing inside the Skype software when making calls to landlines or mobiles. Neither require much bandwidth. Video calls through Skype do require more bandwidth but usually a lot less than streaming a normal video signal because Skype is not very high resolution. If there is a problem it is usually the upload bandwidth at one end or, as Martin says, someone downloading data on another device. In many houses there are several devices connected to the router that we tend to forget about, e.g. mobile phone, tablet, set-top box etc. Things like mobile phones and tablets will suddenly decide to update some apps and use up router bandwidth downloading the update.

Skype does sometimes make a bad connection. That is usually noticeable as a noisy or distorted signal which is corrected by disconnecting and remaking the call. I have experienced this often with the first call made after starting up the PC. I could hear the other end OK but to them I sounded like I was under water. It hasn't happened for some time now. I have also experienced a disconnect problem with a normal Skype video call but that is caused at my son's end. He uses an iPad with headphones that connect through a USB C connector rather than a jack plug. If he unplugs them so other people can hear me the call disconnects. That wouldn't explain the problem you experienced with a call centre.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Jeffstclair wrote:... our broadband comes via a satellite and the times I have used Skype in the past there was such a massive delay I found it difficult ...

I think that this is not a bandwidth problem but a circuit delay problem. Try using Speedtest and look at the ping time. On my landline broadband connection it is usually between 20 and 30 ms or occasionally a few ms longer. I think you will find that it is much longer on a satellite link, e.g. about 10 times bigger or even more? It is also a problem for online gamers. I suppose it is possible that such a delay could be responsible for the hang up problem but I don't have any evidence for that. I am not sure if it could be long enough for an automated call centre system to think that you have disconnected. It is possible that such systems do some sort of handshake periodically to check that you are still there and if it doesn't get a response fast enough it might assume you have gone.
Warwick

This is pretty much what I have read elsewhere, that the change from robot to actual ringing creates a 'hiccup'.

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:12 pm

Thanks all ...Next time I have to ring the UK ( thankfully a rare thing )...I'll have another go with skype .....sorry for the off topic creep ...

Return to “General Discussion & News”