Crete Documentary

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Crete Documentary

Postby Tim » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 am

There is an ITV documentary series on the Greek Islands that has just aired in the UK called 'The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury'. Each episode is (somewhat disappointingly) 30 minutes long. In the first episode she visits Crete and takes in the Dikti Mountains, Lassithi Plateau, Rethymno and Spinalonga Island. It's available on the ITV Hub for 2 months. Highly recommended!

Tim

Kilkis

Re: Crete Documentary

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 am

Yes, I watched it and it is quite good but I agree it would have been better as a 1 hour programme. To not include anything about Heraklion or Chania seemed a bit odd. Perhaps the problem is the size of Crete. The other islands in the series are much smaller so perhaps they can be dealt with best in a 30 minute slot and Crete had to be squeezed to fit the format. Also I think it is really dealing with aspects of Greek life more than the places themselves so which locations they choose is not that critical.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Kilkis wrote:Yes, I watched it and it is quite good but I agree it would have been better as a 1 hour programme. To not include anything about Heraklion or Chania seemed a bit odd. Perhaps the problem is the size of Crete. The other islands in the series are much smaller so perhaps they can be dealt with best in a 30 minute slot and Crete had to be squeezed to fit the format. Also I think it is really dealing with aspects of Greek life more than the places themselves so which locations they choose is not that critical.

Warwick

Not bad, but not spectacular. Hope the next episodes are better. Maybe by the end of the series she can pronounce Rethymno and Falasarna correctly! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:14 pm

About as likely as airline staff stopping saying Haaarnia or Chaaarnia, with the "Ch" being pronounced as in "cheese".

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Kilkis wrote:About as likely as airline staff stopping saying Haaarnia or Chaaarnia, with the "Ch" being pronounced as in "cheese".

Warwick

Yeah. Been there, heard that! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:52 am

There is an ITV documentary series on the Greek Islands that has just aired in the UK called 'The Greek Islands with Julia Bradbury'. Each episode is (somewhat disappointingly) 30 minutes long. In the first episode she visits Crete and takes in the Dikti Mountains, Lassithi Plateau, Rethymno and Spinalonga Island. It's available on the ITV Hub for 2 months. Highly recommended!

I was very disappointed, whilst the program was billed as 30 minutes the actual length less adverts was 23 minutes with less than 21 minutes of any feature of Crete. Would have been much more beneficial if it was twice as long. So much to show on this beautiful Island.
I suspect that the series is aimed at potential Tourists, it did not wet my appetite. Not certain if I will watch any more of the series.
As reported by Tim it is available on the HUB, But each series is only available for 1 month from the date of showing, Not 2 months as reported.
Same, a missed opportunity.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:08 pm

Certainly aimed at tourists, though since the real beauty of the island was not shown I doubt it was successful in that. It was sponsored by TUI, so that‘s a clue.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:35 pm

I thought it was a bit disappointing and an opportunity missed. Apart from anything else, it fell victim to the current vogue for lots of walking pieces to camera by the presenter, when we just want to see the scenery. The second episode, on Corfu, followed the same basic pattern and once again used a British ex-pat -- who, coincidentally had a business to promote. Surprise! -- to act as guide. Surely there are enough Cretan and Corfiot "characters" who would be more authentic? As for twice pronouncing Rthymno as RethMINNO .. a producer worth their salt should have picked that up on the script run.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 am

Ithought this was mightily disappointing and wondered whether I felt this because I knew more about Crete than its (half-Greek) presenter. A much better tv programme on Crete is Simon Reeve’s BBC programme around Greece - he is really good at getting something of the real country - as he is of most other places he has been with his dream job.

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 pm

EveryTime I go on ITV hub it says show not avaliable when I click on something to watch! Why?

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:22 pm

Your IP address is being flagged up as being based in the UK. I have 2 VPN's and they're regularly blocked by one or more UK channels. It's a pain

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 pm

Or possibly RetiredRailwayWorker does not have a VPN at all and his IP address is being flagged up as Greece? Or possibly he is watching on a tablet/smart phone and that is flagging up his GPS location through the App?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:46 pm

Yep. Perfectly possible. Only RRW will know ...

Tim

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:49 am

RetiredRailwayWorker wrote:EveryTime I go on ITV hub it says show not avaliable when I click on something to watch! Why?

I have had that problem when setting up friends Android boxes, the solution I found to get around it was to set the device's region to UK and not Athens, sounds ridiculous, but it has worked on 3 installations (even mine)

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:20 pm

Tim wrote:Your IP address is being flagged up as being based in the UK. I have 2 VPN's and they're regularly blocked by one or more UK channels. It's a pain

Tim

I actually have an app which changes my IP address to the UK !! It doesn`t seem to fool ITV hub though!! Okay with BBC iplayer and channel 4 and channel 5 catch up though!Pity though looking foreward to watching this with Julia Bradbury!

Return to “General Discussion & News”