New Airport at Kastelli

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
DJ

New Airport at Kastelli

Postby DJ » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:42 am

I know this has been discussed on here before but not for some time so here is a fresh post from GTP Headlines today:
https://news.gtp.gr/2020/01/24/greece-r ... 2-64985457

Kilkis

Re: New Airport at Kastelli

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:58 am

Useful update. Thanks DJ.

I presume that the consortium had to present a business case in order to secure the loan and I would guess that the business case included a date when it planned to be operational. That would have been a useful piece of information for the authors to include in the announcement, obviously recognising that it will probably be late. At least it looks like it will now go ahead, which was always in doubt. It is badly needed as it has frequently been rated by travellers as Europe's worst airport.

Warwick

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:00 pm

Interesting that the "impression of Kastelli Airport" in the link shows what appears to be deep blue sea just the other side of the runway. Have they got confused with the existing Heraklion airport perhaps? A bit naughty really, seeing as Kastelli is several kilometres inland.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:25 pm

Or perhaps they got their Kastellis confused?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:Or perhaps they got their Kastellis confused?

Warwick

More likely. Quality journalism.

Andrew

steven_0

Postby steven_0 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 am

Seems more creative ;)
Looks like they recycled the design for the Doha airport

https://www.constructionweekonline.com/ ... t-contract

DJ

Postby DJ » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:10 pm

I must confess that I still don't see the logic of a runway that runs from SSW to NNE when the predominant wind direction on the north coast of Crete is from the sector NW to NNW? It seems to virtually guarantee taking off and landing in a cross wind, which I would have thought would be the last thing anyone would want? I'm also a bit surprised that, with a 3.2 km runway, it can cope with the really big jets. It is virtually identical in length to Thessaloniki airport and I'm pretty sure that can't take a Jumbo. It's also almost 1 km shorter than Chania, which can take virtually anything.

I can fully understand that expanding the capability of the existing Heraklion airport is impossible and why, if you were planning to build a new airport, you would locate it in the centre of the island but Kastelli doesn't seem an ideal location.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:26 am

Kilkis wrote:........ I'm also a bit surprised that, with a 3.2 km runway, it can cope with the really big jets. It is virtually identical in length to Thessaloniki airport and I'm pretty sure that can't take a Jumbo. It's also almost 1 km shorter than Chania, which can take virtually anything.

You've confused me there. 3.2 km is significantly longer than Heraklion, and 747s have landed there in the past. And I don't think Chania is 4 km long is it?

Agree with you about the alignment though.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:25 am

I based it on my own experience, Andrew. Some years ago I flew back from London to Thessaloniki on 6 January, about the time the Greek students are returning to the UK after their Christmas break. The plane flew directly from Athens to London and was then scheduled to fly back to Athens stopping at Thessaloniki on the way. Because the demand for seats on the Athens - London leg was so high they swapped the scheduled plane for a 747. This meant that the return flight was rerouted directly to Athens and a smaller plane was laid on to take the Thessaloniki passengers back there. We were told that it was because a 747 couldn't use Thessaloniki airport. I've now checked and a fully loaded 747 needs a 3.26 km runway to take off at sea level. I suppose any that used Heraklion were carrying lighter payloads.

I measured Chania at 3.95 km on Google Earth. I've now checked the official figure and it is 3.35 km. I guess there are bits at each end that don't count as part of the runway and I was including them? That would make Chania and the new Kastelli airports about the same on runway length.

I did find out one interesting piece of information about the new Kastelli airport. It was first proposed by Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou in 1986. The wheels of government do indeed grind exceeding slow.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:28 am

Is the new airport going to be built here ? some folk are going to make some money and some other folk are going have their lives changed ....

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.191079 ... ta=!3m1!1e

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am

Yes, that is the site of the new commercial airport. It is currently a military airport used by F16s. The flight path to the north is directly over Kastelli and the north end of the runway is pretty close to the village so you are right that they will face increased air traffic noise.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 am

It's not going to happen for ages ..when we first started hanging out around here in the late 1990's the new airport at Sitia was in the news ...delays caused by lack of funds , and archaeology made the process very slow it opened in I think 2016 ...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:54 am

It's scheduled to be operational in 2025. As I said it has been in the pipeline for 34 years. The project has been signed off and contractors agreed. The Prime Minister and the Infrastructure Minister laid the foundation stone on 9 February 2020. It is inevitable that there will be some delay but I wouldn't assume a major delay.

In terms of traffic Heraklion is Greece's second airport after Athens and strategically far more important than Siteia so I am not sure you can compare them. I think you are viewing it through the eyes of somebody who lives near Siteia. There was a Not The Nine O'clock News sketch many years ago parodying the argument going on about expanding Heathrow or Stansted. One of the arguments they used was that Stansted was more convenient especially if you live in the Stansted area.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am

Kilkis wrote:.....I did find out one interesting piece of information about the new Kastelli airport. It was first proposed by Prime Minister Andreas Papandreou in 1986. The wheels of government do indeed grind exceeding slow.

:D :D :D

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”