The final countdown....

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
tomcourtney

The final countdown....

Postby tomcourtney » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:26 pm

Originally we planned our Crete retirement for the end of 2021. Brexit has forced us to bring forward our plans and we will now load up and move out to the Rethymnon area in October ish 2020.

Lots of decisions to make eg. car, we have to drive out as my wife says She would put me in the hold before our dog. So if we bring a car what’s the import / Greek plate costs these days for an older, few thousand value car if I buy a left hand drive here?

Maybe someone has a Greek reg car and is coming back to the uk this year I could buy....

Any advice on cars or current cost of living welcomed, as we may have to live ‘The Good Life’ if we can clear a patch of the garden for the first year.

Tom, Jane & Engels (the dawg)

Kilkis

Re: The final countdown....

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:08 pm

tomcourtney wrote:...So if we bring a car what’s the import / Greek plate costs these days for an older, few thousand value car if I buy a left hand drive here?...

Talk to the Greek Consulate in London. If you obey all the rules you could qualify for a CERTIFICATE FOR DOMICILE TRANSFER EXEMPTION. You need to act fairly quickly on buying the car if you are coming in October since there are time conditions to qualify, e.g. "documents proving the full and exclusive ownership of the vehicle for a period of at least six months before the application date are required" and you would obviously have to apply before October.

If you don't want to go through this process then you can transfer a UK registered vehicle to Greek plates but at a cost. Firstly they don't use the UK market value of the car. They take the Greek price when new and depreciate it by a percentage for each year of age. The depreciation rate is much lower than UK depreciation rates. For example a 52 % depreciation is applied to cars between 7 and 8 years old while in the UK cars typically depreciate by about 50 % when 3 years old. Also prices new in Greece can be higher than in the UK, especially for cars with bigger engines, so the calculated value could be much higher than the UK market price. They then charge you a percentage of the calculated value. The document I have is a bit old now but it shows a registration charge of 7 % of the calculated value for a newish vehicle up to 900 cc engine capacity rising to as much as 385 % for a pre-1989 vehicle with an engine capacity above 2,000 cc. The general rule if you go down this route is get a small engine car.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:55 pm

From a practical point of view, having a right hand drive car in Crete might be a bit of a pain - you see them on the roads sometimes, but not that often. We have the same make, model and mileage of car in the U.K. and Crete and the U.K. one was much more expensive to buy, as well as having the steering wheel on the wrong side.

There are lots of posts on costs on the forum if you go back. As a family of four we lived a year in Crete in 2013 and homeschooled our young children. I kept daily records of how much we spent - it worked out as around 2,000 euros a month after an initial expensive month of set up costs. For that we ate out a couple of times a week, paid for Greek lessons for the whole family (I was a rubbish student), music and horse-riding lessons for the girls and generally had a great time travelling around the island. We did grow vegetables but honestly, they aren’t a great expense in shops. It’s more expensive now but not dramatically I guess. I found internet costs quite high but that was before free WiFi became readily available in villages.

I envy you - still over 5 years until my younger daughter is through school and we’ve van get out of the U.K. forever. Good luck.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:26 am

Guy M wrote:From a practical point of view, having a right hand drive car in Crete might be a bit of a pain...

I drove a RHD car here for 6 months, Guy, and overtaking is a pain. Tom was thinking of buying a LHD car in the UK. Not that many to choose from but usually a bit cheaper because most people don't want them. I know someone who did import a small engine LHD car from the UK and even after paying the registration tax it was still cheaper than he could have bought the equivalent second hand car for here.

Warwick

Houmeri91

Postby Houmeri91 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi I have had a RHD old Peugeot Partner over here since we moved over to the Rethymnon Area 18 months ago and it is diesel which is soooo much cheaper than unleaded never regretted for a moment bringing it over especially when I see the cost of alternative of a local vehicle. Sometimes can be limited view for overtaking but normally have the Mrs as co-pilot for that or for sorting the tickets in car parks . To be honest if you are coming to drive like Cretan why worry about visibility on overtaking after all that is what the third invisible lane on the national road BOAK is for and faith in the almighty ! lol
But if you just want to tootle around and enjoy your time as your own absolutely no problems owning RHD vehicle .

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I have never found a right hand drive a problem here but I just gave up when the customs people asked for 12 thousand euros for Greek plates...I 'm glad you managed to get it sorted for a reasonable price Houmeri91 ... How did you swing it ?

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:36 am

Tom, I have sent you a private message. Check your inbox. (Link marked "Private messages" at top right of screen).

Andrew

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:30 am

tomcourtney wrote:Originally we planned our Crete retirement for the end of 2021. Brexit has forced us to bring forward our plans and we will now load up and move out to the Rethymnon area in October ish 2020.

Lots of decisions to make eg. car, we have to drive out as my wife says She would put me in the hold before our dog. So if we bring a car what’s the import / Greek plate costs these days for an older, few thousand value car if I buy a left hand drive here?

Maybe someone has a Greek reg car and is coming back to the uk this year I could buy....

Any advice on cars or current cost of living welcomed, as we may have to live ‘The Good Life’ if we can clear a patch of the garden for the first year.

Tom, Jane & Engels (the dawg)

Shame you're not thinking of living in The Peloponnese. We're leaving and could make you a nice deal on a 2.5 bed, fully-renovated traditional house, with a car thrown in as a sweetener :)

As for 2nd hand car prices, I find them shockingly high compared to the UK. But that's just the way it is, it seems.

Return to “General Discussion & News”