Coronavirus and travel insurance

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Stavros

Coronavirus and travel insurance

Postby Stavros » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:33 am

As many people will probably join a travel insurance plan when they plan to travel I though to point out how insurance companies will handle a claim in the case of the now famous Coronavirus.

The terms and condition of each plan is the analytical guide in which exemptions are outlined.

Many Travel insurance plans will NOT cover Epidemic, Pandemic or infectious diseases (e.g Malaria), so in this case coverage will not be provided.

That said, most comprehensive private insurance plans (such as the ones which cover big hospital expenses) do not mention Epidemic, Pandemic or infectious diseases as exceptions.

As each company has its own terms, it is always best to consult with your insurance advisor to determine how your plan will handle such a case.

Kilkis

Re: Coronavirus and travel insurance

Postby Kilkis » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 am

Useful info Stavros.

To put it in perspective, so far there have been 100 suspected cases in Greece but all have tested negative for Covid19. There is one case in isolation in hospital in Patras now, where the results of the test are expected today. That person had arrived on a ship from Italy, where the situation is more serious with the highest number of cases in Europe. At the moment the Italian authorities are not sure if they are dealing with a widespread outbreak or a few isolated clusters, which are now contained. The situation should become clear within the next few days.

Part of the uncertainty in Italy is due to where the cases occurred. They are all in relatively small rural towns at some distance from major cities. With the centre of the outbreak being in China and it being spread by travellers you would expect outbreaks to occur in major cities rather than small rural towns. They have also not been able to trace patient zero so they are not sure where or how it arrived in Italy.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:27 pm

There's a hotel in ' lockdown' in Tenerife now too.

I am a member of a number of travel groups and there are many saying their clients are wanting to cancel travel plans, or what happens in the case of .. insurance, quarantine etc etc. It's starting to hit worldwide bookings now.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:20 pm

A case of coronavirus now confirmed in Greece.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/249951/arti ... virus-case

Tim

mouche

Postby mouche » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:43 pm

The value of travel insurance does not "kick in" unless and untill you actually get sick. If anyone wants to cancel a planned, and paid for, trip in order to possibly avoid getting sick you will not be covered by a travel insurance.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:12 pm

mouche wrote:...If anyone wants to cancel a planned, and paid for, trip in order to possibly avoid getting sick you will not be covered by a travel insurance.

I've only ever bought travel insurance when flying to the USA or Japan, so I am not 100 % sure, but I think, for UK citizens, if the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises citizens not to travel to a certain country then your travel insurance may pay up. If you simply decide yourself that you don't want to risk it then I think Mouche is correct. I would have thought that something similar would apply in other countries if their Foreign Ministry advised against travelling. I repeat, I am not sure but it would be worth asking. For example I think the FCO has advised against travelling to certain regions of Italy but not against the rest of Italy at the moment.

Warwick

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Any sign of panic buying ? i said to the wife we should stock up on tinned food/milk and other stuff just in case!!!

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:26 am

RetiredRailwayWorker wrote:Any sign of panic buying ? i said to the wife we should stock up on tinned food/milk and other stuff just in case!!!

You're part of the problem!

Andrew

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:38 pm

YoMo2 wrote:
RetiredRailwayWorker wrote:Any sign of panic buying ? i said to the wife we should stock up on tinned food/milk and other stuff just in case!!!

Andrew

Is it a problem? Sensible precaution I would say!!

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:34 pm

It depends on your view RetiredRailwayWorker. Stocking up just causes panic buying. If we live in a society where all people ever think of is themselves, then they might see this a prudent measure. However, remember that there are families who cannot afford to stock up. Such action will leave the shelves empty for the unfortunate people who can only afford buy items when they need them.

I can understand the logic of stocking up if the world was in ‘melt down’ because of the virus, but at the moment we are far from that situation. It would be a shame for people to start a panic buying frenzy when it isn’t needed.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:05 pm

You also need to factor in the knock on effects of panic buying. For example people have been panic buying face masks to such a degree that dentists and surgeons are finding it difficult to source them, especially as most are made in China. This leads to the possibility that dentists and surgeons might need to cancel procedures, including emergency procedures, because stupid people have bought them all and for no good reason at all.

It is true that somebody who already has the Coronavirus and is exhibiting symptoms might possibly protect other people from catching it by wearing a face mask but for people who do not have it a face mask will do virtually nothing to prevent them catching it. When people with the disease cough or sneeze they expel droplets containing the virus. Typically people do not catch it by breathing in those droplets, since you would need to be in close contact with the person at exactly the moment they expelled them. In reality those droplets fall on surfaces where the virus can remain alive for some time. Someone then touches that surface and transfers the virus to their hands. Subsequently they touch their mouth, nose or eyes or they eat food without washing their hands thus transferring the virus into their system. The best protection is to avoid touching your mouth, nose or eyes and frequently wash your hands with hot soapy water or sanitizing gel.

Imagine arriving at a hospital in agony with appendicitis only to be told that you can't be operated on because they have no face masks and subsequently dying of peritonitis just because some idiots had panicked.

Warwick

RetiredRailwayWorker

Postby RetiredRailwayWorker » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:05 pm

YoMo2 wrote:

Andrew

Really? Is there panic buying in Crete at the moment? NO! So how can we be part of a problem that doesn`t exist? All we are doing, is doing our normal shopping and just buying a little extra each time!

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:50 pm

Yes, there are now some signs of panic buying here in Crete, as in the rest of Greece! NO face masks in ANY pharmacy, in the whole of Greece, the pharmacies have waiting lists for them. Also, hand sanitisers, are in short supply. I was in The Mart, previously Makro, today and the packets of anti bacterial hand wipes were flying off the shelves. I know the store is mainly used by businesses, but we're not in in tourist season yet, so I was suprised at how many people were shopping there today, particularly how many LARGE, 5kgs & above, bags of rice, pasta, lentils etc, & tinned/packaged goods were being bought! Fresh meat & vegetables seemed to be being bought in the usual quantities, the same as frozen goods.

OliveTree

Postby OliveTree » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 pm

What I think this current 'crisis' shows is the world's seemingly endless dependence on China to manufacture almost everything in common use. That is great news for the Chinese workforce who have seen their living standards improve massively over recent years and for the growing number of multi-millionaires in that country, all careful to support the ruling party of course. A major beneficiary too has been western capitalism, with manufacturers able to massively cut their costs by outsourcing to China, particularly so as quality has improved so much compared with only a few years ago. Naturally it's not a fool-proof supply chain as shown by recent safety issues with luxury car components failures. I did find it quite laughable during the UK Brexit debate that the vacuum cleaner manufacturer Dyson, who actively and vocally supported the leave campaign 'for British jobs' but then promptly set up his new factory in the far east!

So when as with the current headline news, there is the possibility of a halt in manufacturing or a delay in the supply of parts, 'globalisation' also known as international capitalism, suddenly begins to worry that it will not be able to sell its products and as its profits will be affected then demand action from governments, as some car manufacturers have already done for example, stressing that without Chinese parts input UK jobs will be lost.

As regards panic-buying (is it Christmas/Easter/Bank Holidays already?) or stock-piling of goods, I think some people will inevitably do it, it is just a fact of life and the newspapers do tend to encourage a certain sense of panic in even normally rational people. I am old enough to remember the days when there was not a 24/7 supermarket in every town and people would plan ahead to actually make meals rather than send out for a pizza or takeaway. Personally and particularly so if you are elderly or lack your own transport, I think it is always wise to have a reasonable stock of basic foods in the house, just in case you should become incapacitated by illness or extreme weather and surely everyone can afford to buy a simple supply of canned, frozen and dried food that might last them a week or more if needed.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:19 pm

The problem with panic buying is that when it reaches a certain point, even skeptics have to consider joining in for fear of running low on supplies. The whole situation then escalates into chaos. What do you do? No sign of any panic in sitia yet - we're pretty phlegmatic down this end!
So far. :shock:

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”