Virus

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Virus

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:24 am

There might be a bit of luck there, Bob. They would need to find a way to do it so that it could never become public knowledge. "Tory government deliberately kills over 1 million pensioners" is not a recommended campaign slogan in any election play-book. Now they did have an advisor in No 10, Andrew Sabisky, who was into eugenics in a big way so I am sure he could have found a solution to that problem. Unfortunately for No 10 they had to sack him because his views became widely publicised. Obviously, since they appointed him knowing his views, they can't be all that averse to them. I am sure he and Dominic Cummings could have developed a really cunning plan to "execute" the idea, pun intended.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am

Look on the bright side it could be Jeza and and his side kick Dire abbott at the helm
I blame Br---it we never had this Virus or storm after storm and floods when we were
in the EU :wink: the end is Nigh :cry:

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:30 pm

Kilkis wrote: "Tory government deliberately kills over 1 million pensioners" is not a recommended campaign slogan in any election play-book. Now they did have an advisor in No 10, Andrew Sabisky, who was into eugenics in a big way so I am sure he could have found a solution to that problem. Unfortunately for No 10 they had to sack him because his views became widely publicised. Obviously, since they appointed him knowing his views, they can't be all that averse to them. I am sure he and Dominic Cummings could have developed a really cunning plan to "execute" the idea, pun intended.

Warwick

How about "Tory Government come up with plan to save on State Retirement Pension payments and at the same time provide an income-boost to despressed area of UK workforce already in grave situation as well as freeing up housing for locals in rural areas"??

Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Now we're getting somewhere. Dominic Cummings has obviously got it all wrong. He wanted to recruit a load of bright young weirdos who can think outside the box. What he really needed was a load of doddering old weirdos who didn't even know there was a box.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Kilkis wrote:Now we're getting somewhere. Dominic Cummings has obviously got it all wrong. He wanted to recruit a load of bright young weirdos who can think outside the box. What he really needed was a load of doddering old weirdos who didn't even know there was a box.

Warwick

What's a box? Thanks! Bob.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:10 pm

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/good-ne ... ssion=true

Some people won’t have to worry about the great toilet roll panic of 2020.

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 pm

All schools, frontistiria, nurseries and Universities in Greece & the islands will CLOSE from tomorrow for 14 days as the Greek Govt reacts to coronavirus. Greece now has 89 cases, 5 new today, but none yet in Crete.

https://flashnews.gr/post/418931/korono ... thn-ellada

In terms of population, Greece has 8.5 cases per million population.

The UK with currently 373 cases is 5.5 cases per million pop.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:11 pm

According to a prof on the Today program on R4 this morning, the infection rate in the UK has exactly the same trajectory as that being seen in Italy, only 13 days behind.

It will be an interesting few weeks all across the continent.

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:15 am

British invention to overcome the face mask shortage
https://www.facebook.com/ayu.luh.sophia ... 882028060/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:01 am

Tim wrote:According to a prof on the Today program on R4 this morning, the infection rate in the UK has exactly the same trajectory as that being seen in Italy, only 13 days behind...

I think the figure I saw quoted was a doubling in cases every two to three days. While that doesn't sound very much it means that the whole world becomes infected between 66 and 100 days. In reality the infection rate would slow down after a certain point simply because you would mostly encounter people who have it or have recovered from it and have immunity. I would guess it will peak some time in April/May. The more drastic measures the government take the more you slow the rate of infection and so delay and flatten the peak. On the downside more drastic measures have a bigger effect on the economy and that in itself could have serious consequences.

Looking at the figures today it sounds like the Prof you quote is using a 3 day doubling rate to arrive at a 13 day delay.

Greece might have a faster rate of spread than northern European countries. Despite strong government measures like closing schools and universities the Holy Synod has decreed that taking the sacrament is not dangerous so churches should continue celebrating communion. Given the known main vector for infection, a congregation all drinking from the same chalice is about the most effective method of infecting the maximum number of people that you could devise short of injecting everybody with the virus. Given the power of the church it will be interesting to see if the government will dare to overrule them and also close churches.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:37 pm

I agree Warwick, there will probably be peaks and troughs as it ebbs and flows through its course and government actions to contain/minimise it.
I too read about the Greek church continuing to administer drinking from the holy cup. I hope that this is reviewed as timing wise Greek Easter 17-19 is slap bang in the middle of the doubling numbers rate. We have to try to do our upmost to stem all progression, while being sensible and calm.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:59 pm

Kookla wrote:I agree Warwick, there will probably be peaks and troughs as it ebbs and flows through its course and government actions to contain/minimise it.
I too read about the Greek church continuing to administer drinking from the holy cup. I hope that this is reviewed as timing wise Greek Easter 17-19 is slap bang in the middle of the doubling numbers rate. We have to try to do our upmost to stem all progression, while being sensible and calm.

In the Catholic church including here in Greece, the custom is for the priest to dip the host (bread) into the wine and then place that in the mouth of the communicant. A couple of weeks or so ago word went out to all Catholic churches worldwide to say that (a) the host would not be dipped into the wine and (b) communicants should receive the host in their hands for self-consumption rather than having it put in their mouths by the priest.

The Methodist church probably had the best solution (going back 60 years into my memory box): individual glasses of Ribena, previously poured! Bob.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:26 pm

"the Holy Synod has decreed that taking the sacrament is not dangerous"

Of course not. And apparently Jesus never had any germs, according to a priest interviewed in Greek TV. I'd love to know how many of the faithful believe this rubbish.

Andrew

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Bob,
I do like the Ribena idea!
Ok the church is trying to minimise the risk by not sharing the chalice, but now WHO have declared it a pandemic and still the congregation will meet in an enclosed area, the church...when public (outside) displays of crowds have been banned. I’m having a hard time getting my head around that.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Kookla wrote:...Ok the church is trying to minimise the risk by not sharing the chalice,...

Which church do you mean, Kookla. The Roman Catholic church is no longer sharing the chalice but the Greek Orthodox church has decided to carry on doing it. I see it rather like this story. The Holy Synod seem to be working on the hypothesis that God will stop people being infected because the chalice is being used in an act of worship. Surely if you believe in God you have to also consider the possibility that God ensured the development of science so that scientists could tell you how to keep safe?

While it is a common belief that Muslims use the phrase "Inshallah", meaning "If God wills it", to avoid taking responsibility for their actions it is reported in one of the Hadiths that the prophet Mohammed noticed a Bedouin leaving his camel without tying it. He asked the Bedouin, "Why don't you tie down your camel?" The Bedouin answered, "I placed my trust in Allah." At that, Mohammed said, "Tie your camel and place your trust in Allah." I think the phrase "God helps those who help themselves" is reputed to have originated in ancient Greece. Perhaps the Holy Synod should have studied more widely.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”