Virus

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Virus

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:45 pm

Having done a great deal of detailed and in-depth research I think I have now solved the conflict of whether to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol based sanitiser.

While it true that the main route for infections is via the hands, once the virus has got into the body it then multiplies rapidly causing the disease symptoms. Clearly we need to take care of both aspects of the process. I have decided to use the advised method of hand washing with soap and water to minimise initial contamination and then to thoroughly sanitise with alcohol internally to minimise reproduction of any virus that gets past the hand wash. Both processes should be carried out quite regularly through the day and copious quantities of both types of sanitiser should be used. It seems to be working quite well for me so far so I can strongly recommend it.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:51 pm

Kilkis wrote:Having done a great deal of detailed and in-depth research I think I have now solved the conflict of whether to wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol based sanitiser.

While it true that the main route for infections is via the hands, once the virus has got into the body it then multiplies rapidly causing the disease symptoms. Clearly we need to take care of both aspects of the process. I have decided to use the advised method of hand washing with soap and water to minimise initial contamination and then to thoroughly sanitise with alcohol internally to minimise reproduction of any virus that gets past the hand wash. Both processes should be carried out quite regularly through the day and copious quantities of both types of sanitiser should be used. It seems to be working quite well for me so far so I can strongly recommend it.

Warwick

Just watch your blood pressure Warwick! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:04 pm

Warwick,
Sorry not too clear, I meant the Greek church is carrying on with supping from the cup, which I don’t think is a good idea. With Greek Easter coming up and more services laid on and larger groups attending I would have thought they would curtail it.

J.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:03 am

OK everyone, we can all relax, we are saved. A Greek bishop has apparently come up with a cure for Covid-19!!!

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... op-greece/

“The holy water is a medicine and saves us from everything,” he said adding that “those who drink it in faith their body and soul become clean.”

You couldn't make it up.....

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:59 am

YoMo2 wrote:OK everyone, we can all relax, we are saved. A Greek bishop has apparently come up with a cure for Covid-19!!!

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... op-greece/

“The holy water is a medicine and saves us from everything,” he said adding that “those who drink it in faith their body and soul become clean.”

You couldn't make it up.....

Andrew

................ well, he is retired!
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

paul g

Postby paul g » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:04 am

The old saying "educate the world and religion would cease to exist" springs to mind.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:58 am

paul g wrote:The old saying "educate the world and religion would cease to exist" springs to mind.

:D :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:53 pm

And he's got a built in get out clause. If people drink it and it doesn't work they obviously didn't drink it "in faith".

Warwick

filippos

Postby filippos » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 pm

johnincrete wrote:... ...The wash should include the back of the hands as well as fronts. And include fingernails (that should be kept short!) ... ... ...
Add washing wrists to the list. Apparently no need to go OTT as between 5cm to 8cm is enough.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:45 pm

As you may have read Jet2 has cancelled all flights to Spain, Canary Islands and Balearic destinations - with immediate effect, some flights turning round en route.
My question is that as Greek Easter is earlier this year, and as we know, many Greeks return to their villages from afar to celebrate. also many tourists arrive to join in the festivities. What are the airports, ports and arrival points doing in the way of screening passengers? Is there going to be temperature monitoring/testing or something similar? Or is this the next stage on the list of advisement from the government that we wait for?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:56 pm

I think that there is now pretty strong evidence that infected people are highly contagious for several days before they show any symptoms so arrival screening is not that effective at stopping the spread of the virus. Even ignoring this fact, I think there is a lot of general information that, for any disease, departure screening is effective to some degree but arrival screening is much less effective. Planes are very good mechanisms for spreading diseases amongst the passengers but clearly anyone who contracted it on the plane would be asymptomatic on arrival.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:22 am

The UK becomes the largest donor in the international fund to find a vaccine for Corid-19

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-26/cor ... 9-vaccine/

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:23 am

There is no need for triumphalism at this time as all countries are having to cope with this virus. The UK is supposed to be the 5th largest economy in the world so should proportionately contribute more than the other smaller countries that have already provided funding and I commend Norway for starting this research and global funding intitiative.

The question I would ask is why are multi billionaires not coughing up. Richard Branson has made millions from taking over NHS services as a private contractor making a profit out of public funds. Where is his contribution as it always seems it us tax payers that have to pay.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:42 am

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:57 am

Keltz wrote:The question I would ask is why are multi billionaires not coughing up. Richard Branson has made millions from taking over NHS services as a private contractor making a profit out of public funds. Where is his contribution as it always seems it us tax payers that have to pay.

And what about this nasty piece of σκουπίδια: "Pershing Square Capital Management hedge fund manager Bill Ackman said Wednesday he had made $2.6 billion by betting against the markets It came barely a week after Ackman gave an emotional television interview claiming 'hell is coming' for American business - causing the markets to free-fall but the 53-year-old was laughing all the way to the bank"

Return to “General Discussion & News”