CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

Postby Kilkis » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:37 pm

Oh, that’s a good and a well-reasoned article.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:28 pm

Yes it's an excellent article. Unusual for Ekathimerini but they just reposted from this man: https://www.facebook.com/christoforos.anagnostopoulos

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Just to prove that nothing changes in politics: A leaked clip from a recent COBRA meeting?

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am

Kilkis wrote:Just to prove that nothing changes in politics: A leaked clip from a recent COBRA meeting?

Warwick

I've not yet seen a "Yes Minister" clip that didn't ring totally true.....

Andrew

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am

YoMo2 wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Just to prove that nothing changes in politics: A leaked clip from a recent COBRA meeting?

Warwick

I've not yet seen a "Yes Minister" clip that didn't ring totally true.....

Andrew

Although I usually defend the Civil Service, I must say I chuckle at the caricature of Sir Humphrey on that show! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 pm

Not great at translating Greek but it would appear a Morrocan soldier who had been in city centre hotel has tested positive and let people know when he went home.
I suppose it was going to happen sometime as Athenians are heading for the islands apparently.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 pm

Have you got a link to the article, BST? Do you know where?

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:07 pm

It's in English in Apokoronas life now. The Hotel and base have been closed for disinfection. However, it looks like he was wandering around Chania for a week before returning to Morroco!! No related cases in Chania....yet!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Thanks for the update.

Warwick

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:08 pm

!
No related cases in Chania....yet!

The incubation period is 14 days.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:46 pm

I am not certain if they are still working on an incubation period of 14 days. In all diseases the incubation period varies from person to person just like the severity of the symptoms. WHO original advice was 2 to 14 days but later studies seem to have narrowed this down a bit. From Science Daily dated 17 March 2020:

A new study calculates that the median incubation period for COVID-19 is just over 5 days and that 97.5% of people who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days of infection.

Also from Science News for Students, based on a very small sample:

People infected with the novel coronavirus are mainly contagious before they have symptoms and for about a week after symptoms start. That’s the finding of a new study. It followed nine people in Germany who contracted COVID-19.

The advice in the UK is that if you live alone and show symptoms you should stay at home with no outside contact for 7 days. If you live with other people and you show symptoms everybody in the household should stay at home with no outside contact for 14 days and the person with the symptoms should try to self isolate as much as possible from the others for that period. That makes sense in the light of the German study. I am not sure this advice is fully understood. A person I know in the UK, who lives with his wife and child and who is exhibiting symptoms that might or might not be COVID-19 related, was told by his doctor to stay at home and not go to work for 7 days. No mention of 14 days. If medical professionals are passing on advice that doesn't align with government advice I don't see how the measure is going to be effective.

Warwick

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 pm

Does anyone have a live link to the number of confirmed cases so far on Crete?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:52 pm

John Hopkins University has a live World Map showing number of confirmed cases, number died and number recovered on a country by country basis but I don't know of anything specifically tracking Crete. If you scroll down the country list at the left, find Greece (currently around 418 cases) and click on it, it will put up the parameters for Greece as a whole.

Warwick

Carolina
Site Admin

Postby Carolina » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:54 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:Does anyone have a live link to the number of confirmed cases so far on Crete?

Not at the moment, may be something later, I have heard a rumour today from my sis in law who works at a Chania city centre hotel (not the Kydon, which was involved with the Moroccan soldier on training).

Meanwhile this makes very sobering reading (published yesterday) :
https://flashnews.gr/post/419764/ereyna ... thn-ellada?
Google translate version:
Five people have been killed by the new coronavirus in Greece, with confirmed cases reaching 387, according to health ministry data.

But how does Covid-19 spread in our country? This question seeks to provide answers to a new survey by the National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NCA), which presents case maps throughout the country.

Three maps by the National Kapodistrian University of Athens (NCSR) illustrate the (likely) trend of coronavirus in Greece.

Spatial map of COVID-19 deployment in Greece. 251 said they had symptoms in Crete
The following is the map that is most interesting. Of the 1,337 people who responded positively to the survey that they have symptoms of coronavirus (from all over Greece), 251 were in Crete. 78 in Chania, 29 in Rethymnon and 144 in Heraklion. So the trend shows that in Heraklion we are likely to have the most cases (3 confirmed by the Ministry of Health), followed by Chania and Rethymnon.

Click the link above for the map

MENOYME SPITI PAIDIA!

Return to “General Discussion & News”