CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Re: CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:39 pm

tomcourtney wrote: The Greek measures taken look much better than our soft approach.

The Greek government certainly seem to have been more proactive, quicker off the mark, more decisive and more efficient than their UK counterparts in their reaction to the pandemic.

And I never thought I'd write that sentence! :wink:

Tim

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:53 pm

Gossip!!!
Have you watched the video I posted. It shows a respected senior American journalist giving direct untrue quotes from Trump.
Misleading the American people and putting lives at risk.
Every European health professional and the World Health Organization are ridiculing our measures. France is threatening to close its borders to UK citizens.
Our government was briefed in late January by the W.H.O. about what was coming, and the need for protective equipment and Ventilators, it has not taken the measures required.
Johnson publicly stated the preference for a Herd Immunity approach, let the virus spread and be prepared to see our elderly relatives and health professionals die and we will be stronger to deal with the next wave of the virus.
Herd Immunity has been used on animals with some success but requires the majority of the herd to be inoculated first!!! The strong will survive.
The assistant editor of the Telegraph ’newspaper’ has publicly stated that Spanish Flu after WW1 was worse as it killed off the breadwinners, Covid19 will leave the us stronger as it kills off mainly older people so will bring some benefits economically.
The government was forced to about turn with this approach due to the outcry from the public and medical professionals throughout the world but we are left with a severe shortage of equipment.
The ceo of the largest Ventilator manufacturer in the UK, alongside two other manufacturers have publicly stated over the weekend that no orders have been placed by our government.
My wife sees people dying every night, there are over 180 confirmed cases in her hospital alone and still nurses and doctors are being issued flimsy paper masks and aprons. The Italians have the proper protective equipment and still struggle to contain the virus.
Trust has been lost in the BBC, it has been labelled a government mouthpiece as they widely broadcast the U turn was due to changes in Science. Not true, Science has stayed the same.

My wife is on the frontline.
There is no gossip in my post!

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:27 pm

We are not testing until patients and medical staff show confirms symptoms of the virus, no preventive measures are being taken to control the spread. My wife’s Hospital Director has stated publicly that they cannot test staff and patients proactively even though the hospital has some test kits available as he has been told by NHS England not to use them until all hospitals can be supplied with kits.
Staff are in direct contact with confirmed cases wearing flimsy paper masks that have been proven to be ineffective.
The virus has an incubation period of between 5 and 14 days so staff and patients are coming home, frequently on crowded public transport probably to some degree spreading the virus.

It is not my intention to frighten people who may have elderly relatives in the UK but the only way to fight this is with the truth. We must be honest with the public and hopefully they will take proper precautions.
Our government’s light hearted British bulldog spirit encouraging broadcasts are in a similar tone to Trump’s. Our public has reacted to the message accordingly, with still crowded transport, seaside resorts are busier in March than in summer last year!!!!

I applaud the Greek government, their measures are more likely to contain the virus and keep more of their citizens safe.
I await a similar approach from ours.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:35 pm

Thanks Tom I recognise and agree with a lot of what you say there especially the failure in U.K. to properly protect people and the role of state media as a mouthpiece of the now far right Conservative government.

It is frustrating to see, with the extent of action here in Greece and across the EU, ordinary people are being blamed in the U.K. Media for not taking action while the government gives out misleading statements, makes very few if any mandatory changes and immediately protects the City of London in now 3 budgets in a week then says it will write a letter to vulnerable people sometime soon and still do not know how they will protect the 5 million self employed and zero hour contract people.

Watching the BBC and its reporting of newspapers is like watching a slow car crash where all you hear is talking heads and statements about what the government might do with very few in the mostly compliant UK media :!: questioning how or when. No wonder other countries are distancing themselves from the UK.

I hope you and your family stay safe.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Mike Tyson is reputed to have said “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth”.

Every country in the world has started this outbreak following their usual approach of narrative. Narrative has worked for them in every situation so far. It is their fall-back plan. Eventually COVID-19 punches them in the mouth and then the plan is abandoned. Suddenly they have to start dealing with a very bleak reality and face it with real solutions. The UK and US governments have not been punched in the mouth hard enough yet to force them to abandon the narrative but it will happen sooner rather than later. The longer they stick to the narrative the harder the punch will be. I think the Health Secretary is starting to taste blood in his mouth but the others haven't go there yet.

Johnson likes to conjure up the Blitz Spirit but there wasn't a single Blitz Spirit. Yes there was the spirit of community and everyone helping their neighbour. At the same time there was the spirit of hoarding and profiteering through the black market and the spirit of stealing the jewellery off corpses in bombed out buildings. Johnson is also reputed to be a great admirer of Churchill having written a biography of him. Churchill was a highly complicated man, with many admiral qualities and some very much not so, and as such he recognised that such complexity lies everywhere. He didn't hesitate to order looters to be shot on sight and to make profiteering and the black market illegal with severe penalties. Johnson struggled to impose a shut down on pubs and hoarding and profiteering still continues. Leave it to the supermarkets to sort out then he won't be the big nasty prime minister.

I wonder if any of these politicians have sat down and asked themselves why most of the countries in the world have an infection doubling time of 2 to 3 days while in Singapore and Japan it is close to 10 days. What have Singapore and Japan done that the rest of the countries haven't?

Warwick

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:53 pm

Last word on this....
Despite being invited to join in, the Uk government has for weeks now declined to be part of a daily conference call of European Health directors discussing the virus and effectiveness of measures.
Bordering on criminal arrogance.

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:31 pm

Where I am living now, in a remote and underpopulated part of the UK, we have an urgent problem with an incoming flood of tourists and second-homers who think they can share our isolation with impunity. Not only are they increasing our chances of catching the virus, but they are seriously damaging a fragile rural economy.

The state's only response, so far, has been to tell them off and ask them not to do it.

By contrast, my Greek friends are telling, to my amazement and initial disbelief, that in Crete, that most sociable and anarchic of societies, the stringent penalties imposed by the government as of today, are working, and people are immediately observing the new regulations.

Greece is doing what Britain is not, and one day this shameful government will be held to account.

https://medium.com/@yo_ado/what-one-eur ... 2616744cda

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:55 pm

Well said Clio, UK Government has a GUN-HO Attitude.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:10 pm

Tom: rest assured that many on this forum will be behind you and have the utmost respect for people like your wife. I am hoping that later tonight the UK PM will at last tell people they have to stay at home OR ELSE! I have no respect at all for his claim of wanting to respect the 'traditional liberal values' of the British public. He is merely trying to put off the evil day when he will have to tell the population to stay put or face some draconian measures. Fully agree that for once, the Greek government is ahead of the curve. Johnson could learn a lot if he wasn't so busy trying to cover his back! Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:02 pm

Clio wrote:Where I am living now, in a remote and underpopulated part of the UK,...

Did everybody move out when you moved in, Clio? Sorry, the devil made me write it.

I hope you are well and enjoying life. I liked the linked article.

Good luck and stay safe. It's good to know that you still keep an eye on what the chimps are up to.

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:38 pm

Clio wrote:...an incoming flood of tourists and second-homers who think they can share our isolation with impunity.

We don't have a flood in our quiet village but the locals were incensed by a woman and son from London who turned up to stay in their holiday home and wandered around the village (mostly just getting exercise, I think). Unfortunately, the middle-aged son is mentally disabled - mind of a 6 year old - not that that's any excuse. Anyway, the villagers reported them and the police visited them. I did give the woman my number, the last time they visited, in case they ever needed anything. So far she hasn't called me, so I guess they have provisions.

Oh, and a short update on the c-virus treatment, which you might like to read:
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/0 ... ays-video/

Use your discernment but it looks very promising to me.

BTW, I noticed one "news" outlet stated that "2 grammes of this stuff will kill you" and someone pointed out that "2 grammes of caffeine will also kill you - stick to the recommended safe dose!" It just shows how the MsM likes to put the fear of God into us. But why? (I guess they sell more copies.)

Goodnight, all. Enjoy the break and don't worry. It's a good opportunity to catch up on those little maintenance jobs you've been putting off, plus reading, knitting, sewing - whatever. (In my case, fixing my darn computer - again.)

Clio

Postby Clio » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 pm

Cheers, Warwick. It actually feels like home from home here. I live in a very small town, set in glorious scenery, where everyone knows everyone. Where there’s a great sense of community, small pleasant courtesies in social intercourse, a love of company and the craic. I remember years ago, a language teacher saying that the words of ‘alone’ and ‘lonely’ are almost synonymous in the Greek language, and and later I came to understand how central is the parea to the Greek way of life, so I really feel for my Cretan friends who’ll be missing their social life really badly.

Tell you what, though, I don't half miss the food. Moires market of a Saturday morning, bougatsa warm in the hand. Dew still wet on the boxes of courgette blossoms, bags stuffed with seasonal produce - irresistibly fresh, locally-grown and newly picked greenery, fat little cheeses home-made by mountain men, figs from the stallholder’s own old tree…..sure we are glad here, in these unsettled times, that the supermarkets continue to get daily deliveries of greengrocery – but pallid peaches from Chile, or sweaty, pricey bags of “tenderstem broccoli” just don’t cut it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:36 am

Everywhere has its advantages and disadvantages, Clio. I enjoy going to a taverna for a 4 to 6 hour meal with a large group of friends much more than the in/out restaurant culture in the UK but I still miss going to a traditional English pub for a "couple" of pints of real ale and a warm pork or beef batch. Today I would accept either gratefully. Enjoy what you have and don't worry about what you miss.

Warwick

PS Note that "couple" is a very indeterminate concept.

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:37 am

PS Note that "couple" is a very indeterminate concept

You mean, as in the POTUS and First Lady..?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:55 am

I was thinking mathematically but you make a fair point.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”