CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Re: CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:22 pm

I also use a dual SIM phone. I got my alert from UK Gov yesterday lunchtime. Have you perhaps upset someone in the upper echelons? :shock:

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:45 am

Can you imagine me ever upsetting anyone, Tim?

In a BBC News article timed at around 14:00 GMT on Wednesday they were reporting that millions of people had not yet received them, although they were attributing all of them to Vodafone. With piggyback providers like Virgin I am not sure who takes responsibility for sending them out. Is it Virgin or is it EE? In either case it is not the government. Unlike the Greek government, they do not have the capability to flash the messages directly. They have to ask the providers to send them.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:50 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:Does anyone have a live link to the number of confirmed cases so far on Crete?

I have just found this web page which gives a lot more detailed information of the distribution of confirmed cases around Greece including Crete. I think it is regularly, although not necessarily continuously, updating.

It shows one confirmed case in Chania. Does anyone know if that was the Moroccan soldier who tested positive when he returned home or someone else actually living in Chania?

Heraklion is still the worst affected place on the island.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:01 pm

I have been keeping a close eye Warwick and I believe it IS the Moroccan who spent a week in Chania.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:36 pm

Thanks for that. If he had passed the virus on to other people in Chania I would have expected more confirmed cases by now, since it is 10 days since that case was reported and presumably he was in Chania prior to that, so it looks like we might have been lucky.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:39 pm

There appears to have been a suspected case today but he was found to have a common infection. The one confirmed was the Morrocan.

BST

Postby BST » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm

Does anyone know if deliveries from eBay/Amazon etc.. are still getting through.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:51 pm

From Amazon, yes. I have no experience with eBay.
Someday is now : )

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 pm

Hopefully we dodged a bullet. I wouldn't be shocked if there were still a few cases hiding around Chania. I have noticed at least one villa in my area suddenly become occupied (AFTER the lockdown) - permanent residents are still allowed to take a ferry out here. Maybe they are careful and responsible people, although the fact that they've moved in the midst a lockdown suggests otherwise. Edit: they were not here for the last few months, so I assume this is a second home.

I still worry that the soldier may have infected other soldiers (young, healthy, unlikely to get tested), and that one of them wont self quarantine for long enough. But that is some catastrophic thinking on my part, really a worst case.

Overall, I've been very impressed with the response out here, both from the government and the people. Even if Chania is hit, this is not an environment where covid19 can spread anymore. Lets just hope that there is no rush to start opening everything back up. IE: In the united states, where they are nowhere near the peak, and already talking about getting back to work.

Finally venturing outside today (for a longer drive to pick up supplies), I found that streets were mostly clear. There are still some groups of kids hanging around, a few people going on longer walks, and I noticed some hikers as well, who were equipped to walk for some serious distance. The groups of kids are worrying, but how can you completely stop that. Otherwise, no red flags. I'm not concerned about lone hikers, as long as they stick to easy trails where injury is unlikely.

I stayed off of the main highway, if you can call it a highway. On backroads, I have yet to be checked. I did pass one police car.

Earlier in the thread, I noticed that I was called out for giving medical advice. But I have even more medical advice. Anti-malarial chloroquine tablets will be preferable to aquarium cleaner.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:44 pm

Would you Adam and Eve it!
I can’t find where I posted before about the church still allowing services ...before the government later stopped them.
I have just now read in Keep Talking Greece about a Bishop wanting to deliberately carry on and flout the ban!
My apologies for not being able to copy the post to here.
My flabber is well and truly gasted

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Marooned wrote:Even if Chania is hit, this is not an environment where covid19 can spread anymore.

Not true, misleading and dangerous advice. Stick to official instructions.

Marooned wrote:Anti-malarial chloroquine tablets will be preferable...

Not true, misleading and dangerous advice. Stick to official medical advice.

As a new user just registered on this site you should be aware that we do not give medical advice and are not an official source of government policy on the Coronavirus. We simply discuss these things and inform when the Greek government makes an announcement.

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:50 pm

OK, hello to you as well. It is always difficult to take the temperature of a new forum, but I've never come across this before. It seems unreasonable to me that anyone would take anything that I've written as "medical advice". It is also strange that you're picking on me, but not satcures, who has given us plenty of misleading information. Is it that I need to be established as a veteran on the board before I'm allowed to post my opinions?

Edit: I looked through the thread (there is a lot), and I see that you had also called out satcures as being irresponsible, not just me. Still, I am unsure if this forum in fact does limit free speech to this extent (?). Anyways, if there is an issue with this, I would appreciate a private message from an administrator, I don't want to derail this thread.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 pm

I think if you read the thread, Satcure took quite a bit of stick for his statements on Chloroquine so don't be too sensitive. Anybody, however new or experienced, is entitled to express any opinion they wish to but be prepared for others to respond. It is possible that Chloroquine, in conjunction with other drugs, may prove useful. For example Uni-pharma has announced that it has taken delivery of 5 tons of Chloroquine from India and intends to use it to produce Unikinon, a drug it has been licensed to produce in Greece since 1984. Malaria was a major problem in Greece back then. It may be useful but it is not certain yet. Present it as a possible help and you will get very little opposition. Present it as a proven cure and be prepared to get your head blown off.

I think you are also wrong to say that "this is not an environment where COVID-19 can spread anymore". Social distancing reduces its ability to spread but social distancing is not 100 % effective unless you have the total lockdown enforced in China. Greece, like most European countries is a long way from that. Once COVID-19 is circulating in the population social distancing, as practised in Greece, will slow it but probably not stop it.

Warwick

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:12 pm

OK, it's a fair point, about Chania. Of course the virus will continue to spread. I tend not to explain myself so well sometimes:

It's unlikely that Chania could be hit in the same way as other cities have been, because social distancing was started early (with some compliance), and then locked down with further restrictions, also at an early date. And there hasn't been any (known) community spread yet. This balance could be thrown off at any moment, but those awful exponential spikes that are seen in many major cities - I'm not worried about that happening here, until people go back to work, and restrictions are removed.

From what I understand, the only way to avoid it is to wait for a vaccine, so of course no where is safe, it's just slower.

I was impressed when I saw images of workers in full body suits, disinfecting the empty streets of Chania, when there is only one confirmed case here. A far cry from the scenes in other, ostensibly more prepared places. I would be interested to know why - is it just that Greece listened to Italy? Or something unusual about the Greek culture? Is the government less divided / more able to make decisions?

As for Chloroquine, I actually don't recommend it at all. It's just one ingredient in the Trump show, where everything is made up. Of course a few people will harm themselves after Trumps Chloroquine endorsement, but how can you protect people who are that dumb? The biggest curveball in that whole drama is that Trumps approval rating is currently UP. 60% of americans think trump is doing a good job. Will this decline as the pandemic spreads through the entire US? Somehow I expect to be surprised.

Jean

Postby Jean » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 am

A far cry from the scenes in other, ostensibly more prepared places. I would be interested to know why - is it just that Greece listened to Italy? Or something unusual about the Greek culture? Is the government less divided / more able to make decisions?

I believe that the government, to their credit, was acutely aware that the health service, after a decade of EU imposed austerity, would be completely unable to deal with a medical emergency.

Return to “General Discussion & News”