CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Marooned

Re: CoronaVirus now confirmed on Crete

Postby Marooned » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm

Regarding shopping - Safety measures vary from store to store. At synka, they will disinfect your shopping cart, and give you plastic gloves. But I still feel unsafe, because there are a lot of people using the store throughout the day, and some of them don't understand social distancing just yet. Thankfully I have not been sneezed on! The synka that I go to has a bathroom outside, with footpedals to activate the taps...great! They even fixed the soap dispenser.

It's easier to socially distance at a wholesaler, but The Mart did not disinfect anything, and do not provide hand protection, so bring your own (if so inclined).

The police at the checkpoint touched my phone. Sure they were wearing gloves, but those gloves would also be touching other phones / passports and so on. Of course I was just trying to help, and didn't think of it at the time, but I won't let them touch my phone again. On the other hand, the officer was nice enough to tell me to engage the parking brake, as some other people had caused an "accident", for this reason. Some checkstops are on a steep incline, keep that in mind..

As per usual, I knew about the checkstop about 300 meters beforehand, due to drivers flashing their lights at me.
---

Putting my tinfoil hat on, I noticed that on the day that the original social distancing rules were imposed (sorry, I cannot remember the date, but it must have been around March 16), my tap water went brown with silt for a few hours. This was awful, and made a mess of my shower, but it cleared up before the end of the day. It has been clear ever since, but I have noticed an increased chlorine odor. Has the water supply been adjusted, possibly in relation to the Pandemic?
Last edited by Marooned on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George

Postby George » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:40 pm

I see one case near Agios Stefanos on the Pineza live map of confirmed cases.

https://coronavirus.pineza.eu/

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 pm

This should cheer everyone up Professor Stephen Hawking on his fear of a new virus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdKZkJUQX94

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:10 pm

BST wrote:1 more in Herakleion today. 23 year old self quarantining at home, from Xanthi.

And another! Priest in Rethymno. Preached/from Sfakia Lapis.

Are these confirmed cases or suspected cases? The live map is still showing 11 cases on Crete: 9 in Heraklion, 1 in Chania, 0 in Rethymno and 1 in Lasithi. It has been like that for a few days now. I recognised fairly early on in the outbreak that many people were not really distinguishing between confirmed cases, i.e. had a positive test result, and suspected cases, i.e. had similar symptoms. For a couple of weeks before the Moroccan soldier I was regularly getting reports from contacts along the lines of: "There are three new cases in Chania". All turned out to be suspected cases and all tested negative.

Yes, the Lasithi case is close to Agios Stefanos, George. I know the recent report about a group of people from the UK arriving at Heraklion via Holland with no checks mentioned that one of the passengers had gone to the east of the island so it is possible that is the case but I can't confirm that. It did say virtually the whole group had been traced and were self isolating. At the time of the report a very small number had not been traced but I haven't heard if they were traced eventually.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:20 pm

Marooned, yes I do know The Mart, very well, but I use the Heraklion one. As regards the water supply, I have read, on a few of the Cretan news sites, that they have increased the ammount of chlorine in the water supply. Sorry to have jumped down your throat, but I'm appalled at all the items I see on a regular basis, regarding the selfish behaviour of people in the UK. I have a friend in London, who's currently off sick with the virus, as are all her team, NHS nursing assistants, and I know several times on her way home from her shift, there was nothing in the shops that she needed to buy.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:21 pm

Kilkis, this is a better site, for checking cases.And the Priest isa confirmed case. https://www.thebest.gr/coronavirus-map? ... -wr1dup_7g

BST

Postby BST » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:05 pm

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Thanks for the new links, BST and Ros21. Clearly there are very small discrepancies between the different reporting sites but nothing significant that would affect behaviour.

It looks like the number of cases in all Greece has been doubling somewhere around every 6 days since about 1 March. The UK is closer to every 3 days.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:58 pm

mouche wrote:
Guy M wrote:From the perspective of the U.K., it looks like Greece has handled this better than many.

https://sciencenorway.no/crisis-epidemi ... es/1661751

Yes, it’s testing. Germany likewise does lots of tests and has a fewer deaths than comparable nearby countries.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:05 pm

Kilkis wrote:Thanks for the new links, BST and Ros21. Clearly there are very small discrepancies between the different reporting sites but nothing significant that would affect behaviour.

It looks like the number of cases in all Greece has been doubling somewhere around every 6 days since about 1 March. The UK is closer to every 3 days.

Warwick

There are lots of variables - population density, mobility of population etc - but one obvious difference is the speed with which Greece implemented a lockdown. In Cheltenham, the horse racing festival, with 70,000 people a day packed into the racecourse for hours over 4 days went ahead in March, despite people saying it shouldn’t. We’ve only been locked down since Monday, after a weekend of people wandering around markets and crowding beaches on a sunny weekend.

BST

Postby BST » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Warwick you might be interested in this. Not strictly about Crete but Greece.

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

BST

Postby BST » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:11 pm

Does anyone read or attempt to read the Greek press on FB eg, Flashnews.gr or Hania News? There was an article today about tourists JUST arriving in Sfakia flouting the quarantine rules and for the THIRD time in a week, a quote from the mayor of Apokoronas about heightened worries as 3000+ homes in Apokoronas being owned by Europeans, 80% British. The worry being that they arrive at easter ....??? and bring the virus with them.
There is also mentioned as part of the mayor's quote, that a family arrived in Kefalas on March 17th and ignored or didn't know the rules (which is possibly correct). I think the press articles really give the wrong impression of the Brits! I think most of here are residents not holidaymakers as the repeated quote implies! Infact I don't anyone who has arrived recently only people who aren't coming to Crete this summer or have returned to be near relatives.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:05 pm

This is a quote from the Cretetip site you linked earlier in the thread for 18 March, my highlight in red:

Non-EU nationals not resident in Greece are not allowed to enter the country after 6 a.m., with few exceptions (diplomats, family reasons, important work or transport). Quarantine may be ordered for all others, especially British citizens. All foreigners and tourists in the country should restrict their movements as much as possible and may leave the country before the end of the 14-day quarantine period.

So on the 17 March, when the family arrived in Kefalas, UK citizens were being treated like any other EU citizen and the idea of quarantining them had not been ordered. Restrictions on movement at all was not ordered until 19 March and the current control mechanisms were not in place until 23 March. There was nothing for the family to know when they entered the country.

I found the article in Flashnews but it makes no mention of where the "vacationers" in Sfakia are from, how they got there or where they are staying. Almost all hotels are closed except for one hotel in the capital of each Nomos plus a couple more in Athens and Thessaloniki. I couldn't find it in Chania News and I don't do FB.

I agree with your comment about the majority in Apokoronas being resident and they tend to have either stayed and know exactly what is going on or have gone back to the UK before everything shut down. I think there is still a significant minority of holiday homes there that are only occupied for part of the year so I can understand his general concern but I am not sure who would want to come or how they would come.

Warwick

BST

Postby BST » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:13 pm

My thoughts exactly Warwick. How did they get here and where are they staying? I didn't like the way the Major's quote about Apokoronas was slotted in straight after today's comments about tourists in Sfakia as it looks like it's the Brits again!!! There appears to be a strong police presence around here even in the back of beyond from time to time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:23 pm

Well if you're going to fine anyone it may as well be UK pensioners, as they are probably the only ones still getting an income, and if you are going to go UK pensioner hunting Apokoronas is as good a place as any. I've not been out for over a week so I am not sure what is happening round this area regarding enforcement. The chap who owns the plot of land opposite me and lives in Chania comes out to work on it everyday. I'm not sure what category that comes under?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”