Coronavirus, what happens next

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Coronavirus, what happens next

Postby Kilkis » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:53 pm

Given that we are stuck in the house for god knows how long perhaps Chuck Berry? Sorry. That's the wine talking.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:Given that we are stuck in the house for god knows how long perhaps Chuck Berry? Sorry. That's the wine talking.

Warwick

Slow Hand ..... Pointer Sisters ???

Tim

peebee

Postby peebee » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:12 am

Get Out of My House - Kate Bush.

chocaholic

Postby chocaholic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:04 am

Maybe allow the use of the beaches as long as everyone self distanced.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:24 am

I think the concepts of "Greek" and "self distancing" don't really go well together? I can remember when my landlady's daughter got married in northern Greece I asked if they were going away on honeymoon. She replied that they really wanted to go to Italy but they couldn't find a group to go with.

Until they find an effective vaccine and/or a medication that has significant success in relieving acute cases, I think the exit strategy is going to be quite difficult. You could reach a point where you are convinced that you have suppressed the pool of the virus in the local population, e.g. at least 14 days with no new cases AND no outstanding cases receiving treatment BUT preferably 14 days with no new cases AFTER the last case needed treatment. It ought then to be possible to return to normal life internally but without a treatment or vaccine it would be dangerous to reopen the borders until the pool of the virus is suppressed throughout the world. That could take a long time when people like the president of Belarus are saying that there is no virus in Belarus and in any case drinking vodka and taking saunas will cure it. Despite the number of cases in Belarus continuing to increase he has taken no action at all. Sort of Trump on steroids. Opening the borders is what the Greek government wants to do most because Greek GDP relies so much on tourism.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:02 am

Far from discussing an exit strategy, this Ekathimerini article http://www.ekathimerini.com/251171/arti ... government suggests that the government is considering ramping up the lockdown.

Taken from the article:
“We will not have Easter in the village, we will not cook in our yards and we will not visit our churches,” he said in what was seen as part of a government effort to prepare public opinion for an extension of the “We stay home” mandate at least until the first 10 days of May.

May 10th is an awful long way off.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:31 am

I don't think it is really "ramping up", i.e. imposing stricter rules, more extending the timescale, which is probably what the strategy was all along. Tell somebody at the beginning that they are going to be locked down for 3 months or even 6 months and you get a pretty bad response. Tell them it is for 3 weeks and then, as the deadline approaches, extend it probably gets a better response. More cases, more deaths tend to make people take it more seriously. Not going to your village for Pascha, not gathering in big groups for a barbecue and not going to church are totally within the existing rules. There is the first tentative hint of it slowing but nothing conclusive. Unless and until it really slows down expect further extensions.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:25 pm

Tim wrote:May 10th is an awful long way off.

It is all a matter of prespective.

May 10th last year is an awful long way off. May 10th this year is not that far away.

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:39 pm

Perhaps some regional variations might work as long as things are closely monitored.
The restrictions aren't really doing anything apart from slowing the spread until a vaccine is available. Of course this is important in its own right but it doesn't get rid of the virus'.
I have a nasty feeling that we can kiss goodbye to the tourist season and to a lot of small bars and cafes.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 pm

Sinkingslowly wrote:...The restrictions aren't really doing anything apart from slowing the spread until a vaccine is available...

I don't think that is quite correct. It is true that an effective vaccine, or a medication that prevents the disease reaching the acute phase even in older and otherwise vulnerable patients, is the ultimate goal. If the lockdown is effective, however, it ought to be possible to open up the economy internally before those goals are achieved. As far as we know anybody, who catches COVID-19 and recovers from it, is no longer contagious, i.e. the virus has been eliminated in that patient. Anybody who catches it and dies is no longer contagious as long as the body is safely disposed of. Therefore, if the lockdown works as it should, you can reach a point where the virus does not exist in the local population. At that point everything can return to normal. You would need to leave a gap between the last patient recovering/dying to ensure nobody has caught it from them and is still incubating it but that would only be a couple of weeks or so.

As long as the virus is still circulating somewhere in the world you can't really afford to open up the borders unless you have a vaccine/cure. It's no good just stopping people coming from whichever countries it is still active in, as was demonstrated by UK citizens entering via Holland after flights from the UK had been banned. I suspect you are right, therefore, that the tourist season is likely to be completely written off and that is not good for the Greek economy or the people who work in the tourism sector.

Once an effective serelogical test is available it might be worth testing the whole population if it is cheap enough. That way, if the disease returns, possibly in the winter, before a vaccine/cure is available you know who can carry on working normally and who is still at risk so you wouldn't need a total lockdown.

Warwick

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:26 pm

showwaddy waddy,a little bit of soap
queen,these are the days of our lives
queen,keep yourself alive
elton john,social disease
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

paul g

Postby paul g » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:28 am

Times Like These - Foo Fighters.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 am

I think the anti-body test will be the exit strategy, certainly in the uk where we think over 50, 000 people have already had it, some without egen knowing. A lot of workers could return to work, shops open up, schools maybe open up. It will be gradual i reckon. We are close to the tests now and it will oviously go to key workers first and then weirdly it will be available on Amazon.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:46 am

chrissyg wrote:I think the anti-body test will be the exit strategy, certainly in the uk where we think over 50, 000 people have already had it, some without egen knowing. A lot of workers could return to work, shops open up, schools maybe open up. It will be gradual i reckon. We are close to the tests now and it will oviously go to key workers first and then weirdly it will be available on Amazon.

Be aware of fake Chinese test kits :wink:

Sinkingslowly

Postby Sinkingslowly » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:40 pm

chrissyg wrote:I think the anti-body test will be the exit strategy, certainly in the uk where we think over 50, 000 people have already had it, some without egen knowing. A lot of workers could return to work, shops open up, schools maybe open up. It will be gradual i reckon. We are close to the tests now and it will oviously go to key workers first and then weirdly it will be available on Amazon.

The anti body test (if it's reliable) would be one way of getting things moving again but maybe then people would have to carry proof that they have had the test and are probably immune.
There would be two classes of people, those free to roam around and those still on lockdown waiting to catch the virus.
I suppose it could help to get tourism started here in Crete.

Return to “General Discussion & News”