Coronavirus, what happens next

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Re: Coronavirus, what happens next

Postby Jean » Wed May 06, 2020 5:46 pm

Now ask yourself what Billy Gates (high school dropout and vaccine "expert") has to gain by selling vaccines. (Clue: it begins with "bill...")

As if Gates needed money! Can we possibly keep this forum conspiracy theories free?

Clio

Postby Clio » Wed May 06, 2020 6:30 pm

Yes please!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 06, 2020 7:06 pm

As I've said before, when asked to choose between a conspiracy theory and a cock-up theory choose the cock-up theory every time. There are far more idiots out there than Machiavellis. I think Martin's series of links illustrates this quite nicely.

Warwick

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:19 am

Yes please Seconded! Flat Earhists next in line.

Eleni13

Postby Eleni13 » Thu May 07, 2020 9:21 am

Earthists, of course.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu May 07, 2020 12:23 pm

Eleni13 wrote:Earthists, of course.

Say again ........... didn't quite catch that!!!! :D Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 07, 2020 4:39 pm

I'm with Warwick.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 08, 2020 11:02 am

The BBC are reporting that Greece is probably going to adopt the decentralised approach to contact tracing using the Google/Apple API. See this article. Not yet confirmed.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri May 08, 2020 10:23 pm

YoMo2 wrote:...An interesting watch. I wonder what happened to Part 2?

Andrew

Part 2 is due to be broadcast on Tue 19 May 2020 at 21:00 BST.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat May 09, 2020 7:36 am

Kilkis wrote:
YoMo2 wrote:...An interesting watch. I wonder what happened to Part 2?

Andrew

Part 2 is due to be broadcast on Tue 19 May 2020 at 21:00 BST.

Warwick

Ah, excellent. I will watch it on iPlayer later. Thanks.

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 09, 2020 10:06 am

I would guess it will appear on Youtube like part 1 did for those who can't access iPlayer. No guarantee.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat May 09, 2020 4:33 pm

The Times in the U.K. is reporting that the government will announce a two week quarantine period for all arrivals to the U.K. from early June - the logic, if there is any having allowed millIons in with no controls so far, being that it will reduce the impact of any second wave of infections once the current wave is under control (it’s not under control now and unlike other European countries the U.K. is only reducing deaths slowly at present).

Lots of complaints here from airlines and the tourist industry that this will damage them, but no thought that i’ve seen on the impact on places with usually lots of UK holiday makers. Even if Greece is open for visitors this summer, this will mean there won’t be many British ones.

Clio

Postby Clio » Sat May 09, 2020 5:56 pm

I'm afraid Guy is right. I was just writing to a friend in Crete that the only UK visitors the island is likely to see this year are the ones who are prepared to/need to go the extra mile and get there by hook or by crook. People with holiday homes on the island, or visitors who return every year and regard a particular village or hotel as home from home. Absolutely no “passing trade” or impulse- buy holidays, I’m afraid.

People here in Britain are desperate to be allowed more outdoor time, to get to the parks or drive to beauty spots, but I don’t think that anything beyond that, like, foreign travel, is on the public’s mind.

That was before I read the advance news that, as Guy says, Boris Johnson is going to bolt the stable door tomorrow and announce that passengers flying into the UK will have to be quarantined for a fortnight.

And that was before I read the following which includes the stipulation that anyone flying into Greece is going to have to bring with them an all-clear health certificate issued in the previous 72 hours.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2020/05/09/t ... in-greece/

Good luck with getting one of those if you’re a Brit, given the horrendous shambles of the UK government’s response to the pandemic – when care home staff in England are STILL begging for basic protective coverings, when my GP told me honestly that he expects it to be another two months before it’s business as usual at the surgery. (It is physically locked at the moment and you have to shout your needs through the window).

I am really sorry to be a prophet of doom, and I would love to think that my own planned trip to Crete will come about, but it’s not looking good.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 09, 2020 6:31 pm

It is possible to get tests done privately in the UK. Your doctor can obtain a kit from Germany, take the swab and send it to a German laboratory. The results are then sent back to your doctor. The doctor should be able to issue the necessary certificate, possibly with the original/copy test results attached. I am certain about the test part but not certain about the certification as I don't know exactly what the Greek authorities require. No idea what the cost would be.

There are some people who would be prepared to come, even if they had to self isolate for 14 days here and then 14 days when they get back, but I can't imagine there are many. If there aren't enough to guarantee high flight occupancy I can't see the airlines flying.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sun May 10, 2020 7:28 am

We could probably get to Crete - we could self isolate at our home there, and we could self isolate for 2 weeks once back in the U.K. (OH is a yoga teacher and running online courses, I can work from home), but the reason we definitely won’t unless there’s an unlikely change in events is because i’m sure Crete doesn’t really want outsiders having to be brought food etc for two weeks, particularly not those from Plague Island.

If you’re not in the U.K. you may not appreciate the extent of the complete mess we have got into - UK locked down late and half-heartedly, there were groups of people holding non social distancing street parties to ‘celebrate’ VE Day this week, the government is divided on when to stop lockdown, they have messed up testing, haven’t developed a tracing app and are continuing to treat the daily press conferences as sessions to present how well the U.K. is doing. We have over 21,000 care homes and there’s no culture of looking after the elderly - unlike Crete, rather than integrating them into the family, we dump them in homes where the owners make big profits, pay their staff low wages and have created ideal conditions for the virus to thrive. Meanwhile the excess of deaths over the expected number is estimated by the Financial Times to be the highest percentage in Europe.

Pretty bleak, actually, and nothing but admiration for what Crete has done, and envy.

Return to “General Discussion & News”