Tax returns during lockdown

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
paul g

Tax returns during lockdown

Postby paul g » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone heard how their accountants are going to deal with tax returns and being paid if the lock down gets extended?

filippos

Re: Tax returns during lockdown

Postby filippos » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:25 pm

In the past I've paid ours by card or bank transfer but usually, in normal times, in cash by one of two methods. 1.) cash paid in his Xania office or, much more conveniently, 2.)via his sister who owns a periptero (usually run by her son) in the village.
Obviously I can't speak for your accountant but why not phone him and ask what options he can offer.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:05 am

I think I use the same one as Filippos and I know he pays things like ENFIA and vehicle circulation tax for people who are back in the UK and they transfer the money to his bank account. I can't see any reason why someone couldn't pay his fee in the same way.

I send him all the details of my income by email with certificates attached as pdf documents. Normally I go into his office while he completes the return and he gives me the E1 form printed off in the office. There is no real reason why I need to be there, he could send me the E1 as a pdf document by email. When capital controls were in place he did need cash for some legitimate purposes and couldn't access it easily so he preferred to be paid in cash. Now capital controls are gone I can't see why paying him by bank transfer would be a problem.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:02 am

No update on the submission deadline yet but according to this ekathimerini article it looks like the government are considering allowing payment in more tranches, e.g. eight instead of the normal three. Similarly for ENFIA, e.g. eight instead of the normal five. It might help anybody with cash flow problems.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:12 pm

Today ekathimerini are reporting that the online Taxisnet system for filing 2019 tax returns will open next week. Accountants are not proposing to make submissions yet for individuals because their offices remain closed. It is likely that the 30 June deadline for submission and the 31 July deadline for payment/first tranche will both be pushed back. I would guess everybody's own accountant will notify them when they intend to start making submissions.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”