Vaping and Coronavirus

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kamisiana

Vaping and Coronavirus

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:31 am

Vaping When you see people surrounded in their own personal freshly exhaled cloud of vapor from deep inside their lungs that we have all had to walk through or sit next to, I did a quick google apparently it is in the sights of health officials :shock:

Kilkis

Re: Vaping and Coronavirus

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:02 am

If they weren't vaping they would be surrounded by their own freshly exhaled cloud of air from deep inside their lungs that you would still need to walk through or sit next to. All vaping does is allow you to see why social distancing is needed. You can't see the cloud of freshly exhaled air but it is still there and does everything the vapour does.

A vapour is different from an aerosol it is simply something in a gaseous state below its critical temperature. An aerosol is a suspension of tiny particles of liquid, solid, or both within a gas. Both the air and the vapour will be aerosols to some extent and it is those suspended droplets that contain the virus. If someone demonstrated that the vapour being exhaled contained a much higher number of droplets than the air you normally exhale then it would increase the risk factor but otherwise it wouldn't. Has anybody demonstrated that?

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:08 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compositi ... te_aerosol

I am confused now between vapor and aerosol :?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 pm

As I said in the previous post: "Both the air and the vapour will be aerosols to some extent and it is those suspended droplets that can contain the virus." The question is, "Do the aerosol droplets in an exhaled vapour cloud contain more virus than the same volume of air being exhaled without vaping?". As far as I am aware the inhaled droplets/particles from the vaping device do not contain any virus. The virus is in the body. When you exhale the exhaled air/vapour picks up droplets from the moist airways, throat and mouth. Is there any evidence that a cubic metre of exhaled air-vapour mix from somebody who is vaping contains more droplets and virus than a cubic metre of air exhaled by somebody who isn't vaping?

Warwick

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed May 06, 2020 8:46 am

Interestingly, statistical studies allegedly show that smokers don't fare as badly with COVID-19 as non-smokers. Believed to be due to the nicotine, although there may be some other effect.

So I'm trying to breathe in as much "vape" as possible! :wink:
__

Can Vaping Cause Cancer? (I recommend reading this even if you don't smoke.)
https://www.quora.com/Can-vaping-cause-cancer/answer/Chris-Price-69
A list of symptoms when quitting tobacco and changing to an ecigarette
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/a-list-of-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-and-changing-to-an-ecigarette.3305/
Predicting the black market in e-cigarettes
https://antithrlies.com/2014/07/04/predicting-the-black-market-in-e-cigarettes/
Electronic cigarettes and heart disease
http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/1/14460996/e-cig-vaping-risk-heart-disease-health-jama-study
So the final conclusion appears to be:
1. Vaping does not cause cancer (or extremely unlikely compared with cigarettes).
2. Vaping might trigger unwanted short- or long-term allergic reactions.
3. Vaping might not reduce the risk of heart attack, compared with smoking (but no worse).
4. Not vaping and not smoking at all is less harmful so don't start if you don't already smoke.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:06 am

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/08/why-you- ... -13386004/

Why you should not be vaping around other people :!:
Cue soap box moment :wink:

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:21 am

That's one thing i hate about greek tavernas. We always manage to get a table next to smokers, and usually chain-smokers. The smell wafts over us while we are eating. Give me vapers any day. Id rather see it than smell it!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:42 am

In a previous post on this thread I asked the question:

Kilkis wrote:...Is there any evidence that a cubic metre of exhaled air-vapour mix from somebody who is vaping contains more droplets and virus than a cubic metre of air exhaled by somebody who isn't vaping?

Warwick

The article linked by Kamisiana answers that question. No there isn't. A quote from the article my emphasis in red:

"Professor Caitlin Notley, a senior lecturer at the University of East Anglia’s Norwich Medical School, agreed that ‘potentially someone infected with Covid-19 can exhale virus particles through vapour just as they would through their exhaled breath’.

Thanks for providing the answer Kamisiana.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:28 pm

That's OK Kilkis at least it helped nudge your running total to three shy of 12000 :roll:

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:34 pm

But obviously people breathe in much deeper and blow out much further when they are smoking or vaping so their breath spreads much further so it must be much more risky.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:35 pm

But obviously people breathe in much deeper and blow out much further when they are smoking or vaping so their breath spreads much further so it must be much more risky.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:08 pm

So why didn't the doctors quoted in the article say that if it is so obvious? Science isn't about what is obvious. Science is about what we measure. Has anybody done the experiment to find out?

Personally my best guess would be that either smoking or vaping could irritate the throat and cause someone to cough. People have certainly done the experiment to show that coughing and sneezing do expel more droplets and hence more virus load. Experiments have also been done that show that singing or shouting is also likely to expel a bigger virus load. I am not aware of any experiments showing that vaping causes a higher virus load to be shed? If anybody knows of any I would be interested to know. Vaping attracts attention because you can see the cloud of vapour while you can't see the cloud of air you breath out.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:40 pm

Blowing out is so different from normal breathing out so i have no idea why they havent taken that into account. I used to smoke in my youth and any smoker will know that. My daughter used to vape and she would blow out right across the room. I would have thought that was further even than a normal cough to be honest.

Return to “General Discussion & News”