Allergy/Pollen Count

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
P&B
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 pm

Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby P&B » Fri May 01, 2020 1:48 pm

I've never knowingly had an allergy but this year, for approximately the last month, I am having a reaction to something and I really can't spot a pattern. Today my reaction is the worst it has ever been and it's driving me nuts!

Does anyone know where you can find reliable information about the pollen count?

Secondly, is it possible to get a general allergy test at a doctors or would you need to go somewhere else for such a thing?

Alf
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Alf » Fri May 01, 2020 3:41 pm

I don't know how accurate it is but you can find the pollen count here

https://bit.ly/2Wj0K6m

Alf

Kookla
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kookla » Fri May 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi P &B I’m sorry to hear that you are suffering. Could you phone your local GP, to ask his/ her advice? Our GP is very knowledgeable on such things and sympathetic. My husband suffers terribly with allergies. As you say, the last few weeks have been unbearable for him. We buy for him a ‘natural’ nasal spray ( Power Health Free Nose or Otrivin) and he also takes Bilaz, bilastine 20mg and / or Modulair 10 mg I think the first is meant to be taken for only 30 days and the second meant to be primarily for children.
We live in an olive grove and are surrounded mostly by orange trees. The orange scent is beautiful, but really thick just now. He tries to steam free his nose in a hot shower, this used to work for him; but not of late, he says it is like his nose being ‘stuffed full of concrete’.Obviously he is not sleeping at all well either.Having said that, he is on the land and in the garden all day, so that can’t help much!
As to pollen forecasts, I’d be thrilled if you find a reliable one. Good luck!

Kookla
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:24 pm

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kookla » Fri May 01, 2020 6:14 pm

I forgot to add, that of course the pharmacists are extremely knowledgeable too, so you could ask them and describe your symptoms. That said, it is usually cheaper to purchase with a prescription from you GP.

Jean
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: West Crete
Contact:

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Jean » Fri May 01, 2020 9:44 pm

Secondly, is it possible to get a general allergy test at a doctors or would you need to go somewhere else for such a thing?

Go to an allergist. I don't know where you live but there is a good one in Chania.

YoMo2
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Milatos, Lasithi

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby YoMo2 » Sat May 02, 2020 8:04 am

Kookla wrote:Hi P &B I’m sorry to hear that you are suffering. Could you phone your local GP, to ask his/ her advice? Our GP is very knowledgeable on such things and sympathetic. My husband suffers terribly with allergies. As you say, the last few weeks have been unbearable for him. We buy for him a ‘natural’ nasal spray ( Power Health Free Nose or Otrivin) and he also takes Bilaz, bilastine 20mg and / or Modulair 10 mg I think the first is meant to be taken for only 30 days and the second meant to be primarily for children.
We live in an olive grove and are surrounded mostly by orange trees. The orange scent is beautiful, but really thick just now. He tries to steam free his nose in a hot shower, this used to work for him; but not of late, he says it is like his nose being ‘stuffed full of concrete’.Obviously he is not sleeping at all well either.Having said that, he is on the land and in the garden all day, so that can’t help much!
As to pollen forecasts, I’d be thrilled if you find a reliable one. Good luck!


It might also help to see an ENT specialist? Having a blocked nose can be caused by other things such as collapsed turbinates. I'm not saying he doesn't have allergies, but his suffering might be made worse by also having something like that. Sorry, if you already know about that.

Andrew

shine on
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:34 pm

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby shine on » Sat May 02, 2020 8:50 am

In the uk I suffered terrible allergies from rapeseed, in Crete, it’s the flowers on the olive trees, and there’s millions here, although currently many olive groves are now sadly being pulled up and replaced by avocados, it’s where the money is I guess...at the moment.
I tried ‘quercetin’ last year with surprisingly good results.

Kilkis
Posts: 11619
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 02, 2020 12:15 pm

shine on wrote:In the uk I suffered terrible allergies from rapeseed,..


You'd love the countryside around Nuneaton. It's a yellow desert around this time of year. Then with harvest come the thunderbugs making everywhere itch.

Warwick

bobscott
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby bobscott » Sat May 02, 2020 2:03 pm

shine on wrote:In the uk I suffered terrible allergies from rapeseed, in Crete, it’s the flowers on the olive trees, and there’s millions here, although currently many olive groves are now sadly being pulled up and replaced by avocados, it’s where the money is I guess...at the moment.
I tried ‘quercetin’ last year with surprisingly good results.


Must say I haven't noticed avocado replacing olives. Some year ago Stelios, the then Mayor of Argiroupolis (aka Lappa) convinced some of the locals to plant avocado, but the word is that Israel got in just ahead and 'collared the market'. Don't know if it's the same situation now but apart from Stelios' own shop in Argiroupolis I haven't seen much in the way of avocado products from Crete on sale. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis
Posts: 11619
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 02, 2020 2:30 pm

Quite a lot of citrous groves around me have been turned over to avocados. No money in citrous fruit at all. There is some picking but many groves just let the oranges fall on the floor and rot.

Warwick

bobscott
Posts: 2658
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby bobscott » Sat May 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Kilkis wrote:Quite a lot of citrous groves around me have been turned over to avocados. No money in citrous fruit at all. There is some picking but many groves just let the oranges fall on the floor and rot.

Warwick


True. The Vale of Kalyves, for want of a better term, is a very fertile area and is full of citrus fruit, quite a proportion of it lying on the ground. The story is that farmers (who are getting older by the day) have to pay more to have someone pick the fruit than they can get for them on the open market. So diversification is an attractive proposition. If avocados 'cut the mustard' as they say, good luck. I remain a tad unconvinced although I have no alternative that springs readily to mind. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

ros21m
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm
Location: Kerasia.

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby ros21m » Sat May 02, 2020 4:33 pm

Almost all the Avocados on sale in the Heraklion area have signs saying they're from Chania, Crete. I haven't seen any on sale from Israel. I actually prefer the ones that aren't from Crete, I find them rock hard, and they tend not to ripen very well.

Kilkis
Posts: 11619
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kilkis » Sat May 02, 2020 5:36 pm

Make sure to leave them out of the fridge until they just start to soften and then put them in the fridge for a few days.

Warwick

Jean
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:39 pm
Location: West Crete
Contact:

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Jean » Sat May 02, 2020 6:24 pm

Must say I haven't noticed avocado replacing olives. Some year ago Stelios, the then Mayor of Argiroupolis (aka Lappa) convinced some of the locals to plant avocado, but the word is that Israel got in just ahead and 'collared the market'. Don't know if it's the same situation now but apart from Stelios' own shop in Argiroupolis I haven't seen much in the way of avocado products from Crete on sale. Bob.

From what I can see most citrus fruit growers in the citrus area of Nea Kydonia are switching to avocados. Now that more avocados are being produced they are reaching quantities that start to make sense for developing an export network and that's been increasing their value at source in the past couple of years.

peebee
Posts: 897
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:07 am
Location: Kalyves

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby peebee » Sun May 03, 2020 5:26 am

ros21m wrote:Almost all the Avocados on sale in the Heraklion area have signs saying they're from Chania, Crete. I haven't seen any on sale from Israel. I actually prefer the ones that aren't from Crete, I find them rock hard, and they tend not to ripen very well.

Quite likely from one of my friends' `garden' - got about 4 acres of them. Unfortunately, I don't like them.


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: YoMo2 and 25 guests