Allergy/Pollen Count

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kookla

Re: Allergy/Pollen Count

Postby Kookla » Sun May 03, 2020 9:15 am

@YoMo2, thanks Andrew sent you a pm :D

SatCure

Postby SatCure » Wed May 06, 2020 8:41 am

shine on wrote:In the uk I suffered terrible allergies from rapeseed, in Crete, it’s the flowers on the olive trees, and there’s millions here,

Likewise. On one occasion I drove past a rapeseed field then had to stop the car because my eyes were watering so much that I couldn't see.

The "cure" for me is to take half a tablet of Cetirizine Hydrochloride ("Piriteze"/"Piriton"). That's usually good for a day or two. I rarely need to take more than one or two per month (and wouldn't want to).

Also, if eyes are watering, wash face! This often removes the irritant sufficiently to cure the itching eyes.

And, finally, I realised that part of my suffering was caused by creams and lotions that I was using for psoriasis. Again, washing the face fixed it.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am

peebee wrote:
ros21m wrote:Almost all the Avocados on sale in the Heraklion area have signs saying they're from Chania, Crete. I haven't seen any on sale from Israel. I actually prefer the ones that aren't from Crete, I find them rock hard, and they tend not to ripen very well.

Quite likely from one of my friends' `garden' - got about 4 acres of them. Unfortunately, I don't like them.

Don't like them? Cut a ripe one in half, remove the stone, put a teaspoon of brown sugar in each 'depression' and top-up with Metaxa. Then eat with a spoon! Delicious. Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed May 06, 2020 9:26 am

bobscott wrote:...Don't like them? Cut a ripe one in half, remove the stone, put a teaspoon of brown sugar in each 'depression' and top-up with Metaxa. Then eat with a spoon! Delicious. Bob

That does raise a serious philosophical question, Bob. If you eat them like that for breakfast would that class as "drinking before breakfast", my usual test of whether I have become an alcoholic or not?

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed May 06, 2020 9:49 am

Yeah we love avocados and eat loads ...I like them best sliced up with olive oil and black pepper ...but we did do a thing last year that made a fantastic chocolate moose from mashed avocados, organic cocoa powder and a little local honey ...it was fab even I liked it and I normally avoid anything sweet ...

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu May 07, 2020 12:25 pm

Kilkis wrote:
bobscott wrote:...Don't like them? Cut a ripe one in half, remove the stone, put a teaspoon of brown sugar in each 'depression' and top-up with Metaxa. Then eat with a spoon! Delicious. Bob

That does raise a serious philosophical question, Bob. If you eat them like that for breakfast would that class as "drinking before breakfast", my usual test of whether I have become an alcoholic or not?

Warwick

Are you saying you need a test???? Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

filippos

Postby filippos » Thu May 07, 2020 4:45 pm

bobscott wrote:
Kilkis wrote:
Warwick
Are you saying you need a test???? Bob.

If you need to ask that, Bob, you don't know Warwick.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun May 10, 2020 7:18 pm

As a lifelong hay-fever sufferer, I can confirm that I have never known Crete to be this bad at this time of year. I almost literally cannot stop sneezing. Please excuse shaky handwriting ....

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”