British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am

Yes, i have read 1st July from official sources.

DJ

Postby DJ » Mon May 25, 2020 8:41 am

I fear my trip to Crete on October 14 is now very much in doubt. We (the UK) are still very much regarded as 'plague island'. Cyprus has released the lists of countries to be allowed to fly there and the UK isn't in the first two swathes - not mentioned at all.

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon May 25, 2020 9:20 am

chrissyg wrote:Yes, i have read 1st July from official sources.

There is no set date for travellers from countries with high infection rates (e.g. UK) to be allowed to travel to Greece. International flights to Greece are set to resume on July 1st as stated by chrissyg, but the UK's inclusion in this will be kept under regular review.

Tim

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 25, 2020 9:25 am

Yeah, thought so and still trying to negotiate these air bridges too. All up in the air still, or not as the case may be.!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 25, 2020 9:46 am

I think there are a number of separate but related factors getting mixed up:

1 Tourist hotels are allowed to open on 1 June so internal tourism can start on that date.
    2 There is a list of 20 countries with low new case numbers from where people will be allowed to come to Greece on holiday without any quarantine from 15 June. Up to 15 June testing on arrival and 14 day self isolation will continue for people entering from abroad. Technically foreign tourists could come between 1 June and 15 June but they would be subject to 14 day self isolation so there doesn't seem much point except perhaps for some people with property here.
    3 At the moment external flights are only allowed to come into Athens airport so any foreign tourist from one of those 20 countries would need to fly into Athens and then travel onwards from there.
    4 On 1 July flights from those 20 countries will be allowed to fly directly to other destinations in Greece, e.g. to Greek islands like Crete.
    5 The status of other countries, like the UK, are kept under review and will depend on their infection rate but visitors from them will NOT be allowed to visit Greece BEFORE 15 July. Some people seem to interpret this to mean that they WILL be allowed AFTER 15 July. It doesn't. They might or they might not depending on their infection rate at the time.
    6 The 20 countries are: Cyprus, Israel, Germany, China, Australia, Japan, Denmark, Austria, Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania, Albania, North Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Norway.

Warwick

PS Information taken from an email sent out to his clients by my accountant George Atsalakis

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 am

I have seen it on Ekathimerini, I shall look for it.
Someday is now : )

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 25, 2020 10:39 am

Frustratingly I cannot find the article I had read. It mentioned several countries, the UK amongst them, that Greece would not be accepting flights from until the earliest the 15th July and that that date was subject to review in relation to the ‘R’ number (see Kilkis’ post 25.5.20, Item 5).

Lynn

PS. Just found the information came from my Accountant

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 25, 2020 11:17 am

Strange- i get updates from tax oasis too and july 15th was not mentioned, just said international flights from july 1st.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 25, 2020 11:31 am

The following is copied directly from the email received on Saturday 23 May and is the third paragraph after the list of countries:

Residents of countries having what Greece deems unfavorable current epidemiological characteristics will not be allowed to visit Greece before July 15.

It doesn't explicitly mention the UK but the UK is one of the countries that "Greece deems to have unfavourable epidemiological characteristics", i.e. any country not on the list of 20.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 am

Within the TaxOasis email is a link to Greece Greek Reporter and on it you can see an article titled ‘Greece Releases Initial List of Nations that Can Send Tourists to the Country. Within the article it specifically mentions that UK residents cannot enter Greece until the 15th July and that date will continue to be reviewed based on the epidemiology.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Ok i didnt realise, but it s still reviewable i guess. I have flights on 1st july because we need to get to our property if only for a week before our tourists. Already moved it once and our first guests are due on the 11th. I suppose if our flights are cancelled then theirs probably will be and we would have to postpone ours for 2 weeks. I imagine they will cancel anyway and are just waiting for the airline to tell them they will be refunded. I think that is what most people are doing as transferring tickets are very expensive.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm

My interpretation of the relevant part of the article may be wrong but I understand it to mean that the date of the 15th July is revisable going forward and not that it might be revised to an earlier date:

“Residents of countries having what Greece deems unfavorable current epidemiological characteristics will not be allowed to visit Greece before July 15. United Kingdom residents, for instance, who may have had plans to visit Greece this summer, will not be allowed for the time being...”

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon May 25, 2020 2:28 pm

I think the next review is supposed to be at the end of May so it is possible the rules might change then. I think the tourist minister has made it clear he wants UK tourists here but I suspect that people in government who are concentrating on the public health side of the debate will not want to include the UK as long as the number of new cases per day stays high. Which side will win? Who knows?

The UK has managed to focus everybody's attention on the R number but it is not the only important parameter. If you only concentrate on the R number you could argue that the UK is doing better than Greece, because in the UK the number of new cases per day is going down, i.e. R less than 1, whereas in Greece they are roughly constant, i.e. R = 1 approximately. The difference is that the UK still has over 2,000 new cases per day while Greece has in the region of 10 new cases per day. If you look on the Worldometers web site you will find that the worst performing country on the list of allowed countries, in terms of new cases per day, is Poland which is just under 400. On the other hand Poland has had a very low death rate at 26 per million population and a low overall infection rate of 563 per million population. I have no knowledge about how the Greek government is making its decisions on which countries to allow entry would guess that the Greek government is calculating some sort of score based on those three parameters. If I am correct the UK, with a death rate of 542 per million population and an overall infection rate of 3,825 cases per million population, is going to have to get its new case count very low to be considered. I may well be wrong.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Do we know how the restrictions will work? If you are British but live in a country from which flights will be allowed after July 1st, presumably you will be allowed in. But how will they deal with Brits who fly to, say, Frankfurt, from UK, and then on to Greece from there? Will that be a loophole to be exploited?

Andrew

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 26, 2020 6:30 pm

YoMo2 wrote:Do we know how the restrictions will work? If you are British but live in a country from which flights will be allowed after July 1st, presumably you will be allowed in. But how will they deal with Brits who fly to, say, Frankfurt, from UK, and then on to Greece from there? Will that be a loophole to be exploited?Andrew

They may well impose a blanket ban on all UK passport holders, wherever they're flying from. Otherwise, as you suggest, people could travel via third countries to avoid the restrictions.

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”