British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:52 pm

Everybody in the country can see news from other countries showing them easing their lockdowns. That means lots of people are screaming at the government, "Why can't we ease ours? Look they are doing it". The government doesn't really want to say, "Sorry folks but we cocked it up so badly at the beginning that you are just going to have to wait until we get our numbers as low as theirs." There is also quite a big cohort in the Conservative Party and amongst their very powerful supporters who still think there should never have been a lockdown at all and they are getting more and more vocal. Boris is in a strong position because of his election margin but he is not bulletproof. He wants to carry on being "King of the World" for a bit longer yet.

Warwick

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 pm

Maud wrote:We were amazed one evening last week to see how vitriolic the Daily Mail’s front page was re Cummings. Even one of the Conservative’s own ‘flag waving newspapers’ seems to be having a falling out with the Government at the moment.

What strange times we are all living through!

Daily Mail’s new editor is pro Remain, while Sunday Mail’s editor is pro Leave, hence the contradictory front page messages depending on the day of the week.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:46 pm

Kilkis wrote:Everybody in the country can see news from other countries showing them easing their lockdowns. That means lots of people are screaming at the government, "Why can't we ease ours? Look they are doing it".

There’s quite a split between those who can’t wait to get out and party and those who don’t trust the government’s messages and so are carrying on being locked down whatever the government says. We told our younger daughter (13) we could visit her grandparents who live down the road in Gloucester from today and she replied “just because we can it doesn’t mean we should”. Apart from rowing twice a week (where she’s still socially distanced from all except her sister), she hasn’t been outside the house in 10 weeks. There’s lots the same - in a survey 47% said they wouldn’t send their children back to school today even though they were in the categories where schools have opened. Personally, with a stubbornly high infection rate, i’m not going anywhere.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:05 pm

Guy M wrote:...We told our younger daughter (13) we could visit her grandparents who live down the road in Gloucester from today and she replied “just because we can it doesn’t mean we should”...

Would that the government had such wisdom. The infection rates are still too high to start releasing lockdown, especially as the test, trace, isolate system doesn't seem to be firing on all cylinders. The mantra keeps being repeated that Public Health England have a wealth of experience tracing cases whenever there is any public health issue. It would be interesting to ask Public Health England on average over the past ten years how many cases per year did they have to deal with? I suspect they mostly deal with situations where there are a few cases of food poisoning that they have to trace back to its source and isolate the cause. They might have built the test capability up to 200,000 tests per day but I doubt that they have the capability to reliably trace all contacts, both direct and indirect, of 2,000 new infections per day, test them and isolate all positives fast enough to stop them infecting other people. I would be delighted to be proved wrong.

With regards to schools, I understand that once the school is officially open for any particular year, if parents with children in that year don't send them then they are liable to the same penalty fines that existed before the pandemic. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. As far as I can tell from news reports the ones most reluctant to send their children back to school are the middle class who have the resources to ensure their children aren't badly disadvantaged by being at home. I would imagine a fair number are Tory voters and possibly Tory members. I can hear the caps being unscrewed off bottles of green ink from here.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:54 pm

Yes Guy, when Geordie Greg took over as editor of the Daily Mail from Dacre It caused quite a stir! - A Remainer taking over as editor of a Pro Brexit paper. - You are quite right. In ‘The Papers’ review on Saturday night the Sunday Mail front page was very pro the Government as usual, despite criticism in the Daily Mail during the week.

There are no penalty fines for parents choosing not to send their children to school at the moment Warwick. - Choice is still allowed. Reports today are showing that possible half of parents chose not to send their children to school today. Surprisingly, the number was marginally higher amongst disadvantaged children!

We are making up our own minds about what is safe to do, and like Guy, will not be going anywhere yet! When you look at the crowds on the U.K. beaches over the weekend, plus the lines of people waiting to get in to IKEA etc today, we are just waiting for the next ‘wave.’ Even if it doesn’t happen, we are not happy to join the general masses of folk until we see infection numbers decrease!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:22 pm

Maud wrote:...There are no penalty fines for parents choosing not to send their children to school at the moment Warwick. - Choice is still allowed...

I wasn't sure, Maud. I heard two reports. One said that parents would not be fined if they didn't send their children to school and one said that once the school was operating normally parents would be subject to the normal rules. Quite unusual to hear opposite messages?

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:54 am

I don’t know how to post a link from my iPad but there is an article headlining on Chaniapost.gr where the Greek Government are clarifying their directive for flights with tourists coming to Greece. Flights will be starting on 15th June but only to Thessaloniki and Athens at which point passengers will be tested for Covid 19. If I read it correctly there will be no direct flights to the islands from the countries permitted to fly to mainland Greece. Also listed are those countries from which flights will be enabled and the UK is not one of them.
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:20 am

There is a full report on the tourism rules as of 1 June in Greek Reporter. The official Ministry statement is here. This is the official EASA List of Affected Airports, i.e. airports in areas where EASA consider the risk of flights is to high. It is updated regularly.

Warwick
Last edited by Kilkis on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:22 am

Kilkis wrote:........ He wants to carry on being "King of the World" for a bit longer yet.

I thought that was Trump? Or maybe Putin? Or maybe they are all "King of the World" in their own heads.............

Andrew

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:30 am

As a child Johnson is reported to have told his family and friends that he wanted to be "King of the World" when he grew up, Andrew, hence my quote.

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:25 pm

The Government’s approach to children returning to school has always been for it to be optional. - I don’t think they dare do anything else! Yesterday seven members of staff in a primary school in Derby tested positive and had to be sent home. It is noticeable how little publicity there has been about it! If children were forced back to school, against the advice of scientists and teaching unions, then came down with the illness, the Government would have a lot to answer for!

Yes, as a child Johnson did announce that he wanted to be “King if the World.” - At the moment I doubt If he could be King of the (Sand) Castle! His popularity ratings are dropping like a stone!

The U.K. is still changing its mind daily over quarantine regulations! Last night on the news a scientist was ‘rubbishing’ the suggestions made by the Government, and holding Greece up as a shining example. At last Greece is getting praised for something....after all the criticisms targeted at it for so many years!

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm

Very worrying report just now. Of the 19 new cases reported today, 12 have arrived on flights from abroad!!! https://www.neakriti.gr/article/ellada- ... 4.facebook

The 91 passengers of the flight are in quarantine

During yesterday's Qatar Airlines flight from Doha to Athens International Airport "Eleftherios Venizelos", 12 positive samples were found after the planned screening for Covid-19 disease, which was performed on 91 occupants of the Ministry of Health. .

Nine (9) of the positive passengers are Pakistani nationals, coming from the city of Guhrat, with a residence permit in Greece, two (2) Greek nationals coming from Australia and one (1) person of Japanese nationality, a member of a Greek-Japanese family.

https://www.neakriti.gr/article/ellada- ... n-ptiseon/

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Im surprised that they are letting in people from a country where cases are actually soaring. Surely that should be more important and risky rather than number of deaths in the country.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:30 pm

Pakistan is a country where it shows classic evidence of going through a second wave. It peaked, came under control and is now rising again quite markedly.

I think that, throughout the pandemic, Greece has allowed anybody with the right to reside in Greece entry subject to 14 day quarantine no matter where they came from? The report suggest that is why the people from Pakistan were allowed to come.

Warwick

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:14 am

ros21m wrote:...... which was performed on 91 occupants of the Ministry of Health.

They've locked them up in the Ministry of Health?!!!!

Andrew

Return to “General Discussion & News”