British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
jackdaw

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby jackdaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:47 am

It's going to be 'squeaky bum' time for those of us booked on Ryanair Bristol to Chania on 1st July. Still have fingers crossed.

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 am

I see today that two women travelling from the U.K. to N.Z. for a family funeral have tested positive out there. That isn’t going to encourage countries to welcome travellers from the U.K!

Clio

Postby Clio » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:02 pm

The good news:

The European commission has launched an app and website that provide travellers with real-time information about coronavirus rules and the status of infections in each European country.

The bad news:

The Uk isn't involved.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... ve-tourism

I shall refrain from making a political point.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:13 pm

I think that was one :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:03 pm

I think the Commission might be being a little economical with the truth. At present the EU web site only provides information for full EU member states. It mentions Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland, in the sense that the rules for each country listed applies to visitors from those four, but it does not provide any information on what the rules are for those countries. Did they all fail to return the questionnaire as well?

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:35 pm

I had also read the Guardian this morning prior to Cleo’s post. What I took from it was the following.....
“We are open to the participation by [non-EU countries], provided they make the request and, secondly, they commit to providing updated and regular information to the website … The UK has not made such a request to participate.”

A UK government spokesperson said: “The UK is no longer part of the EU, and therefore we would not expect to be included in a map representing member states.

I see that as a political decision, though not one which is focusing on the tourist economy. I still believe the U.K. Government wants the U.K. population to holiday at home this year, as they know the Covid 19 situation is not going to encourage overseas tourists to visit. Whilst the F.O’s advice is for residents not to travel it will be almost impossible to get travel insurance to go abroad anyway, so it is a good way to keep tourists spending in the U.K!

Kathleen

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 pm

Frustrating times for all, my planned trip was cancelled in June - not all holiday, I still have unfinished business with my bank to close an account. Just found out, however, that I shall have to complete a tax return for 20/21at the end of the year in resect of the minimal interest accrued on less than 1200€ which was left 'just in case' to clear any unforeseen bills after my house sale. If I can't get over I shall have to pay the Lawyer who has POA and fork out more for the accountant to complete the return! In a cleft stick, not even possible just to write it off, since I expect I shall be fined if the return does not go in! :roll:

Kathleen

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:25 pm

Anyone arriving from the UK via another country MUST still self isolate for 7 days! https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... ts-june15/

DJ

Postby DJ » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Wow, people worrying about travelling on July 1 !!!! I'm worrying about whether we will be able to travel to Crete from the UK on October 13.

Clio

Postby Clio » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

An eternal view of how Britain is coping with the Coronavirus crisis
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/17/worl ... virus.html

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 am

DJ wrote:Wow, people worrying about travelling on July 1 !!!! I'm worrying about whether we will be able to travel to Crete from the UK on October 13.

When we planned our visits to Crete back in Nov 19 Covid 19 was unknown. We have already lost our Easter visit, accepting vouchers from Ryanair and Easyjet for our cancelled flights. When lockdowns started to ease in Greece the predictions were that flights from UK might start on 1st July. Wow! Back in Nov this was the date we chose to travel. Recent reports indicated that a decision by the Greek government on inward flights from UK would be made on June 30th. Our flight is an early morning departure. Our journey to the airport begins the day before. Hence our worry.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 am

We were planning July 1st too but our Easyjet flight has just been cancelled so they have made that decision for us, not the greeks. Ryanair say they are still flying to Chania on the 1st but they wil leave probably it till the last minute to tell you. It is very awkward not knowing isnt it?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:26 am

I think the government made the decision that the ban would stay in place until 30 June but I don't think they said they would make the decision on what happens next on 30 June? I would expect them to make a decision before 30 June but, knowing the Greek propensity to plan Christmas on Boxing Day, I wouldn't expect it to be a long time before. I suspect it will all boil down to how much notice the airlines need to go ahead with the flights. It's possible that the government is having private discussions with the airlines ahead of making a public announcement so they probably have a heads up. It will certainly be tight, so I understand your concern, but I think you will know what is happening before you have to set off for the airport.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:30 am

Rumour has it & I stress it is rumour only, that there will be no direct flights from the UK before 15th July, another rumour is not before August! Everyone is waiting on the next announcement from the Greek Government. I think a lot will depend on what happens both in the UK & what happens in Greece with the infection rate here since they opened up to tourism on 15th June, albeit with only flights to Athens & Thessaloniki.
I would think that the Greek Government wants to see the results of how many imported infections there are from tourists in the period 15th-30th June and possibly how many, once direct flights to the islands occur 1st-15th July, before any decision is made regarding direct flights from the UK.

Maud

Postby Maud » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Friends were due to sail from Bari to Patras on the 16th June. They were told they would not know for definite until the 15th. - Not a lot of use if you are in the U.K! They decided to take a chance, and if all else failed they would have a holiday in Italy until they could get on a ship. When they arrived at Bari to check the sailing on the 15th they were told that the Greek Government has suspended all sailings from Italy to Greece until the 30th June. (Apart from lorries and the normal essential traffic). I might be wrong, but I think the decision was only made that day! - Not much notice for travellers by sea then!

Our friends are happily enjoying the delights of Southern Italy and are not too perturbed by the delay. They have some concerns though about how easy it will be to get on a ship come the first few days of July, as obviously there will be prior bookings for those exact days and possibly no space for delayed bookings. At least they are not in a rush, and are treating the whole journey as a holiday.

Return to “General Discussion & News”