British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Greeks -bobscott, didnt want to sound racist, lol.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:43 pm

Not sure I agree about the beaches Chrissyg. Did you see the youngsters fighting on the beach at Ogmore by Sea two evenings ago? Three men got stabbed at Bournemouth, (Clever to do that when socially isolating!), and I can’t believe the Council there declared a major incident without reason! - Unfortunately sometimes we all see what we want to see and claim things are different to how they actually are.

I certainly didn’t want to see the crowds, and would rather believe your version of things, but the facts are that ‘raves’, packed beaches, and people flocking to beauty spots and not socially isolating are actually happening. As for people queuing to walk up a mountain, at one time we were not supposed to travel to exercise, and only do it locally, yet people flooded the National Parks and ignored the instructions not to do so- I wonder how many of those people queuing to walk up the hill were local??? It certainly wasn’t fair on the local communities who were trying to keep Corvid 19 out of their area.

International press sees these images and naturally reports them. The U.K. has been very poor at handling the crisis, so it cannot expect countries which have done better to accept U.K. citizens back as tourists asap. The British are not the only tourists to Greece, and if you look at Warwick’s figures of Covid cases being declared here daily, in comparison to some other countries, it is hardly surprising that U.K. holiday makers are not high up on Greece’s visitors list. You will see that you mentioned Spanish and Italian tourists, but as Warwick points out, their infection rates are well below the rate in the U.K.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:38 pm

chrissyg wrote:... But we are being very careful now ( not everyone obviously) to social distance and wear masks and the hygiene etc...

I am afraid if you do get here, Chrissyg, you will find that is very far from the truth. When I go to shops/tavernas I am now the only person wearing a mask no matter what the rules say. The café I "used to" drink in is packed with no social distancing, hence "used to". I think the majority of people here think that COVID-19 infection rates have gone down because of the hot weather not because of the rules. Boris likes to tell people to use "common sense". For decades our "senses" have "commonly" told us that viruses, which cause flu like diseases, get killed off in hot weather. COVID-19 is a virus that causes a disease with flu like symptoms. COVID-19 infections have greatly reduced therefore "common sense" dictates that the hot weather has killed it off. Brazil and Iran would suggest that this is not the case. Fortunately the rates of infection where I live are effectively zero so I am not greatly worried at the moment but I fear that an influx of new cases will cause a rise in infections, because people are not following the rules, and Greece will not be able to deal with it.

chrissyg wrote:...This attitude of yeah, maybe this week, maybe next, maybe next month sounds all a bit typical (lol).

I think that is very much a distortion. It is very simply when the infection rates are low enough that the risk of importing infections is low. That is a matter of judgement but the answer lies in the UK's own hands. Stop having the highest number of new cases per day in Europe. I am excluding Russia from that since they have no real control of the virus at all. If at a point in time Greece looks at the way the number of new cases is going down in the UK it might make a judgement along the lines of, "It seems that the UK will be down to a low enough number by 15 July so we will allow them to travel without quarantine then". If, however, the rate of fall slows so that as you get closer to the 15 July the number of new cases per day are still not low enough is that Greece's fault or the UK's? They are making the same judgement but the numbers have changed.

I don't know if people are aware of where the word quarantine originates from. In the 14 century Venice was a major trading port which, unlike other ports, was not badly affected by the plague. Frequently, however, it would get outbreaks of plague brought in by ships from other ports so it introduced a law that ships had to lay at anchor for 30 days before they could offload their cargo. If plague developed on the ship during that 30 days they would not be allowed to dock. The rule helped but it was not totally successful so they increased the period to 40 days, i.e. quaranta giorni. That worked. The clear message is that you adjust your decisions to fit events.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:16 pm

I agree & disagree with you Warwick, certainly there is very little, if any, social distancing, wearing of masks etc, that I'm seeing now, even by the staff in the shops, kafenions, tavernas etc. The locals I'm talking to are mainly taking the attitude, we have no corona here now, so why bother. BUT, they are saying once the tourists arrive & the corona comes again, they will be going back to the rules, they want some kind of "normal life", worry free, for a few weeks. Only the odd person, has mentioned the weather killing the virus. The area I live in is inland, in the mountains & not a tourist area & very few people here work in tourism.

DJ

Postby DJ » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am

May have to wait a little longer....
https://eu.greekreporter.com/2020/06/26 ... MSzj72numI

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:13 am

I was quite surprised to see Israel on the list. They were one of the countries that did really well at getting the virus under control and I hadn't looked at them for some time. It is certainly rising quite quickly again there now since the end of May. Some countries have never really got control but Israel demonstrates that countries that do get the virus under control can easily lose control again. A salutary tale for everyone.

Warwick

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:33 am

An article in ekathimerini states that all passengers arriving in Greece will need to fill in an online Passenger Locator Form at least 48 hours before arrival giving information on where they are coming from, countries they have recently visited and where they will be staying. How they will be treated at the airport, e.g. allowed straight through or directed for screening, will be decided on the basis of that information. See also this government web page for more details on the protocols for different methods of entry.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:38 pm

[quote="Kilkis"
I don't know if people are aware of where the word quarantine originates from. In the 14 century Venice was a major trading port which, unlike other ports, was not badly affected by the plague. Frequently, however, it would get outbreaks of plague brought in by ships from other ports so it introduced a law that ships had to lay at anchor for 30 days before they could offload their cargo. If plague developed on the ship during that 30 days they would not be allowed to dock. The rule helped but it was not totally successful so they increased the period to 40 days, i.e. quaranta giorni. That worked. The clear message is that you adjust your decisions to fit events.

Warwick[/quote]

And believe you me, 40 days in an Italian (Venetian) Lazaretto was not something to be enjoyed! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:11 pm

ros21m wrote:I agree & disagree with you Warwick, certainly there is very little, if any, social distancing, wearing of masks etc, that I'm seeing now, even by the staff in the shops, kafenions, tavernas etc. The locals I'm talking to are mainly taking the attitude, we have no corona here now, so why bother. BUT, they are saying once the tourists arrive & the corona comes again, they will be going back to the rules, they want some kind of "normal life", worry free, for a few weeks. Only the odd person, has mentioned the weather killing the virus. The area I live in is inland, in the mountains & not a tourist area & very few people here work in tourism.

Same here. I know of several people who are making the most of "normal life" before the tourists arrive, taking short breaks to South coast, sightseeing, eating out etc.... However, some are certainly considering self imposed lock down when the tourists arrive. Similarly, taverna and shop owners are enjoying relaxed time with regulars but still following rules. However, although the custom is needed, they know things will be a lot less relaxed when tourists arrive and of course are worried about their families getting I'll!

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:48 pm

This sounds like selective social distancing because it suits, but surely the risk of contagion is still out there there? Think back to the call centre employee in Chania who brought the virus to the island in March.

I hope to spend a few months at my second home In Crete if I’m allowed this summer, but I’m somewhat more anxious about the anticipated lack of social distancing in Crete than here in the U.K.

I’ll be happy to spend time at my house and soak up the views and atmosphere, take drives to isolated places on the island, and enjoy “sundowners” on my terrace followed by dinner in my avail, but I’ll be cautious - and I’d be cautious if I were there right now.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:54 pm

I agree Rick. I am continuing to live as though I have the Virus and acting as though those around me may be contagious. Limited food shopping expeditions, no eating out, face mask on, hand gel at the ready. The Virus hasn’t gone away and I respect life too much.
Someday is now : )

BST

Postby BST » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:37 pm

[quote="Rick"]This sounds like selective social distancing because it suits, but surely the risk of contagion is still out there there? Think back to the call centre employee in Chania who brought the virus to the island in March.

I hope to spend a few months at my second home In Crete if I’m allowed this summer, but I’m somewhat more anxious about the anticipated lack of social distancing in Crete than here in the U.K. "

What?? How did you deduce that? I did say following rules....which England doesn't appear to have! But there's a difference between following rules when there aren't any active cases in the area and following rules when plane loads of potentially active cases arrive. It's the difference between feeling relaxed and feeling scared of the unknown. If your worried Greece hasn't got it right and England has then don't come.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm

How can you say with certainty that there are no active cases around you?
I applaud the effective controls that were taken by Greece - I think they surpassed all expectations! But I’m honestly anxious about visiting this year because of my perception that people have now become too relaxed.

Please feel free to reassure me that my anxiety is unfounded.
I desperately want to visit my 2nd home and meet my friends again.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:17 pm

Rick wrote:How can you say with certainty that there are no active cases around you?
I applaud the effective controls that were taken by Greece - I think they surpassed all expectations! But I’m honestly anxious about visiting this year because of my perception that people have now become too relaxed. Please feel free to reassure me that my anxiety is unfounded.
I desperately want to visit my 2nd home and meet my friends again.

Rick, honestly, I'd be far more anxious about the journey - whether airport/plane or ferryports/ferries/motorway diners/hotel - than I would about going out and about in Crete. If anything, the thought of the journey would put me off travelling, rather than the destination. As far as the destination is concerned, I think the numbers speak for themselves in any objective comparison between Crete and the UK. I think keeping safe out here is mainly a question of common sense.

Tim

Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks for your feedback Tim.
You’re absolutely right - common sense is always a good judgement.

Return to “General Discussion & News”