British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Re: British hopes of summer holidays abroad quashed!

Postby chrissyg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 pm

I have never denied that Greece has obviously got fewer cases. They were lucky and the government acted quiclkly unlike ours even though the majority of people wanted them to lockdown earlier and cancel huge events.I am just saying the case "numbers' which are dependent on how may they take and i believe it was many more than over 100k on many occasions, arent the only things to consider. Our cases, our deaths, our hospital admissions are falling unlike sone countries. We have to ease the lockdown, we cant economically wait until a vaccine which may never come anyway. Local lockdowns will happen but we need to get back to normal and tourism is necessary.Greece is no exception. I agree we should be banned
In a way but i think others should be too if you want no risk and remain in your bubble., and i just wish they would stop changing their minds.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:24 pm

PS Warwick, i still think Jenny's mum is right.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

The ambiguity I referred to in my post yesterday resolved. The list I quoted was not mandatory, merely advisory. Interestingly the Greek Government has since clarified as reported above that no flights from the UK before July 15th at the earliest despite a previous intention to go ahead sooner. Also interesting that Greece is considering continuing the ban from Trumpland. Mr President won't like that. For those who are desperate to get back of course there is still the option of travelling via elsewhere in continental Europe. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am

Surely they would stop uk passengers from cheating it and coming in via another country when seeing their passports?. I certainly wouldnt risk it. Yes, "Trumpland" should he banned everwhere, ..scary!

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am

More good news from China :shock: get this years trip to Greece in Quick :wink:
https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/30/swi ... d-in-china

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:19 am

OK so you don't believe number of cases. What about deaths? Deaths are pretty real? Each one is marked with a cross or a star and crescent or a star of David etc. Greece is counting deaths in all settings including people who died with COVID like symptoms even if they hadn't had a positive test. In the last ten days Greece has had 1 COVID related death and the UK has had 928. Do you think that the number of tests being carried out is somehow increasing the number of people who are dying?

If you have no increase in underlying infection rate and you perform more tests, then the percentage of tests that are positive goes down. Typically today about 2 % of tests return a positive result in the UK. Leicester has a higher infection rate than the country overall so is that due to performing more tests in Leicester? No, it is due to a real increase in infections. How do we know? Because about 10 % of tests in Leicester are giving a positive result.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:33 am

Well i do believe in the recorded deaths which are falling and are now being said that they all had underlying conditions . I have to say that even these figures are dodgy. I actually have a friend whose father died in hospital after a heart attack ( long standing condition and very old) He did not have covid but it was put on his death certificate because and i quote, there was covid present in the hospital he was at, so they were told to put it on there.
Dont get me wrong, i know the UK is still risky but where do you draw the boundaries? Shouldnt Scotland be allowed into Greece? Arent they in a better position than Germany or Spain which is allowed in?

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:48 am

chrissyg wrote:Surely they would stop uk passengers from cheating it and coming in via another country when seeing their passports?. I certainly wouldnt risk it. Yes, "Trumpland" should he banned everwhere, ..scary!

It currently is possible to enter Greece via a third country if you're from a banned country - apparently the Greek authorities are only interested in 'point of origin' rather than nationality. However, travellers to Greece are now required to fill in an online form 48 hours before travelling (Passenger Locator Form) and this asks questions not only about where you're coming from, but also what countries you've been in prior to your entry into the third country. Of course, you could lie and probably get away with it, but generally speaking, lying to the authorities might not be a good idea.

Tim

https://travel.gov.gr/#/

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 am

Exactly, i cant imagine anybody doing that. With all the extra travelling you are risking catching it yourself.
I am getting more concerned about busines and livelihoods. Walking down the high street to see which shops are open now i saw about 4 shops whited out with Closure notices on them and i dont know how many cafes will have the same fate. I hope Crete isnt suffering too., and will survive without the british tourists.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 am

chrissyg wrote:Exactly, i cant imagine anybody doing that. With all the extra travelling you are risking catching it yourself.
I am getting more concerned about busines and livelihoods. Walking down the high street to see which shops are open now i saw about 4 shops whited out with Closure notices on them and i dont know how many cafes will have the same fate. I hope Crete isnt suffering too., and will survive without the british tourists.

I'm afraid it looks like it is suffering. Since the lockdown was lifted and bars, tavernas and kafenions were allowed to re-open, many of them haven't. In my own village we had three such businesses - two of them have not re-opened, and now never will. There's also a roadside cafe/bar a few kilometers outside the village which two young ladies put their heart and soul (and not a little money, probably) into turning into a thriving concern. It looks desolate and unlikely to re-open, this year anyway. The owner of our surviving taverna told me he is struggling with lack of custom. I, of course, am doing my bit to help ....

Tim

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 am

O no, that is sad. Well i shall do my best too, once im allowed back.

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 am

Tim’s experience of the effect of Covid 19 on tavernas in Crete is reflected in my area also. We shall not be eating out for a long while yet as we remain cautious but just from driving around I would say that at least 50% of tavernas have not opened for the season.
Someday is now : )

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Two different points.

1. The arguments all over the World about whether a country has had a “good” or “bad” pandemic. It’s a bit distasteful to say a country has “done well” when people have died, but there is only one clear way of determining whether a country has done badly: excess deaths over the average of previous years as this gets rid of the distortions caused by cause of death on death certificates not mentioning the virus, only including deaths in hospitals etc. The U.K. has a v high excess deaths per million of population and no excuses for different ways of recording deaths, population density etc can get over this fact.

2. Dates of possible U.K. arrivals. We were booked to come on 15 July (coincidentally the first possible day of this being allowed currently). Today, Ryanair have cancelled the flight we booked and the next flight available is 19 July. By giving notice more than 14 days before the flight was due, an airline only has to offer an alternative flight or pay a full refund ie they do not have to pay compensation. So, i’ve booked on the 19 July flight, but it is quite possible that in 4 days time i’ll get another email from Ryanair saying that flight is also cancelled if it looks as if entry to Greece from the U.K. is still not confirmed. Ryanair are managing their exposure as you’d expect- they’re not stupid.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:06 pm

Yes, my flight on 15th too. Dont know why. I reckon their numbers were low and they are hedging their bets.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Mind you, i dont think it is the 14 day thing, because we literally moved it from the 8th because of yesterdays news. And that hadn't been cancelled.

Return to “General Discussion & News”