Nothing has changed on here then

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
evansmr1

Re: Nothing has changed on here then

Postby evansmr1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:54 am

No, Living in Crete forum must never change to Facebook, twitter etc. The forum is perfect in it's current form.

I do not use any of those so called social sites. I know what they look like as friends have shown me and attempted to get me to use them.

Never must this forum change. It's format is excellent. It is not broke, so why fix it.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:14 pm

Bob......a very good post. Thank goodness we are all different. It could ba a case of The Stepford Wives otherwise!

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:49 pm

All I have to say, having read the aforesaid posts: One may have their own closely held views but you can not control the greater movement of interest. If I run a restaurant i dump and ban nasty rude people. Thats business. There may be many people who know of my restaurant but thats as far as they go, they never eat at my restaurant. They realise I, as manager, do not act upon disruptive people. I will never know because I dont see them.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:37 am

Well, it is clear from posts that the members have expressed - dishing out of personal insults to users of this forum is OK.
Good luck with that. One even said - "we all have the right to be insulted" - Not so, if you mean: In regard to free speech you have the right to insult people, then yes, as a free speech absolutist i get your point. But that is not the point. The point is people use forums which they believe to be helpful and positive in assisting them with often life changing decisions (move to Crete et al.) and expect decency and respect. They have the right to go elsewhere for their information. If I walk up to Wetherspoons bar order a beer and the staff or regular customer says: "Oh its that pathetic pillock Yorgo the boring old twxt" - and I engage in direct conflict and management condone it by omission/inaction it is not rocket science to work out I will drink somewhere else. A persons assumed right to insult me is equal to my right not to put up with it. Is it that those of us who are thick skinned, armour plated, hard and tough, set the standard for the many millions who are not of that characteristic who actually live to a standard whereby simply using a forum is based upon respect and they expect those who are MALICIOUSLY rude and personal to be ousted.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:15 pm

Yorgo, the whole purpose of this thread was an attack on me. Does my face look bothered? Dishing out insults is not OK but when you look at the insults on this forum they are few and far between and not worth getting in a state about. In any group of people there will be people you like, people you dislike and every level of like/dislike in between. It's human nature.

There are some people on here who don't like me. I haven't go a problem with that. I don't expect Carol to moderate anything said to me, whatever it is, and she knows it. I can assure you that she would shut down any thread pretty quickly if they got out of hand.

There was another insult, this time thrown at Chrissyg on the Flying Crete-UK thread. I don't agree with using the insult but I can fully understand how Chrissyg's post that prompted the insult could be interpreted and cause someone to get angry enough to make such an insult. Nobody else insulted her, all she got was support from other members.

I cannot see anything on here that vaguely resembles the analogies that you have used.

Warwick

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:01 pm

KIlkis: I wish you well. Goodbye.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Wow! That is a great post Yorgo. Your honest views. No one can ask for more.

As you quoted me i will of course answer and respond to your views.

Yorgo wrote:One even said - "we all have the right to be insulted" - Not so, if you mean:

There is no qualification to my right to be insulted. It is a right I have that you can only give an opinion on. You cannot dictate whether that right should be afforded to me or not. Don’t be silly. Of course you then go on to say later that “A persons assumed right to insult me is equal to my right not to put up with it.”. Absolutely. I would not disagree with that one bit.

I’m sort of chuckling to myself at this point because, well, you then go on to insult members of this forum who you don’t know with “the many millions who are not of that characteristic who actually live to a standard whereby simply using a forum is based upon respect and ”....but I’m sure you don’t mean that it is just how it comes across to me, as anyone who does not meet your ‘standards’ Is not worthy of an opinion.

You have defined a characteristic that you fit into, expect other to do similar to the extent that if they don’t they are lesser people and should be excluded. Comes across as exceptionalism.

Not only have you the right to be insulted. You have the right to reply or leave the discussion for others to share whether you agree or not. Long may that continue.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:34 pm

Yorgo,some forum members by their own admission (like to stick their head above the parapet) as was said in the the thread
"The name of this forum is Living in Crete" Quote I always work on the principle that if you stick your head above the parapet you can expect it to get blown off.
By sticking your head above the parapet you are saying, having an opinion or doing something that may cause criticism, you could also say you are goading or baiting others to react.
Some forum members have had a public warning for so called baiting, and a few others tend to be more sly with their method of so called baiting, Chrissyg was doing neither but had a foul mouthed full on public insult that none of the forum masonic clique even commented on at the time, the only time they pipe up is if someone dare say something against the chosen one and he can look after him self.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:16 pm

I never seek approval for what I say. I am settled in my own mind as to what I say and why I say it. I dont care if a person takes offence or is offended. But, I do not deliberately aim to offend. That said, no person knows all the possible reasons an individual may feel offended. Some people actually get very offended if you use UPPER CASE letters. Some get offended because they feel thier "seniority" is worthy by virtue of their many years on a forum and they feel they have some god given right to command respect. That may well be right to some degree.
An abusive remark, aimed at the individual or identified small group, in the form of insult, is not in the same broader meaning we now know as being offended. No one knows where the line is regards "offending". If I say on here - I dont like Cats, they smell - I know someone will feel offended but I have not insulted them. I may feel offended at their extreme, seemingly irrational, love for Cats - (I dont actually care). The person issuing the insult has full responsibility for that. The person feeling offended can not transfer that feeling at the feet of the source of why they are offended. If they do they are irrational and have a problem they need to deal with. That said: If I offend a person over Cats and they tell me how they feel about Cats and ask for my consideration then it would be very disrespectful of me not to consider that persons feelings. In short: we all should own what we say and be respectful to others but we do not have to like them or bend the knee to facilitate their weakness in discourse with others.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:11 pm

And, of course, in some cases people think they know what other people's motivations/feelings are but in reality they haven't a clue because they don't know anything at all about the other person. It's all in their imagination, which often seems to be quite vivid.

Warwick

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:28 pm

It's probably one of the first rules of writting on any forum, do not pretend that you speak for other people unless an official poll has been commisioned that you can refer to. Always speak for yourself else no one will believe you.

The other one is don't get personal and insult. You don't know who you are talking to. The up side is that if you are the target of insults online then you have clearly won the argument as those throwing the insults have nothing of value left to say and just want to throw their toys out of the pram.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:02 pm

Kilkis wrote:And, of course, in some cases people think they know what other people's motivations/feelings are but in reality they haven't a clue because they don't know anything at all about the other person. It's all in their imagination, which often seems to be quite vivid.

Warwick

As one lovely Greek friend of mine declares "exakeery".

Depends on any person's partik definition of VIVID - how are you using that adjective?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:15 pm

TweetTweet wrote:...Depends on any person's partik definition of VIVID - how are you using that adjective?

"Very clear and detailed" but not necessarily accurate or true.

Warwick

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:59 pm

Kilkis wrote:
TweetTweet wrote:...Depends on any person's partik definition of VIVID - how are you using that adjective?

"Very clear and detailed" but not necessarily accurate or true.

Warwick

So also posssibly very clear and detailed and actually accurate and true but not by your definition.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:33 pm

Theoretically yes but in reality no.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”