Nothing has changed on here then

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Yorgo

Re: Nothing has changed on here then

Postby Yorgo » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:19 am

KELTZ - - - - Respect to others is not incumbent upon a consensus or approval. If you disrespect a person on a forum via use of insult, for no obvious reason, then that is a matter to do with your character and not permissible by virtue of rules. If this forum had a rule: "Disrespect and insults to users is perfectly acceptable" it would make no difference to me because I never personally insult any person through malice , that is my character. My parents raised me to respect people who deserve respect no internet forum or group or individual has any impact on my values.
If I said, for example: "Crete beer is like pee" - and you replied from some high and mighty belief ex pats have superior opinion - "well piss off moron and dont come to Crete then, no one is forcing you"!! That may be considered a tad extreme as a response. It would not offend me and even if it did, who cares? All I do is simply debate the matter further or ignore you. The use of "moron" is insulting. That crosses a line whereby you do not have my respect and that is a matter for my subjective ownership. The word "moron" may not be considered serious enough, by the forum admin, to warrant a breach of rules warning.
The fact is I am entitled to express the view that "Crete beer is like pee" the fact you may be offended by that is your problem. All the group sticking together or not premise is not relevant.

Keltz

Postby Keltz » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 am

I tend to agree with that as I think most people on here try to be civil. Although I must say I do like Crete beer ( in moderation of course ) coupled with the hot weather. My favorite being Mamos pilsner, an interesting addition from Germany brewed in Athens that some tavernas sell draft. Charma being a close second favourite of course.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:37 am

Yorgo Do you find the original post in this section rude or offensive or just someone expressing a view/opinion/observation, like cats are smelly or Greek beer is pi--y there was no direct insult as I said before people just put 2+2 together and got 4.
Unlike the post that said( you condescending Bi-ch) that I must say was well out of order for a long standing forum member and went unchecked.
Some of the following posts that followed were rude and offensive naming and falsely accusing innocent forum members of collusion in the original post, but that's life we all have our cross to bear.

Saddler wrote:As a once avid reader of this Forum i find it very sad that just about every thread on no matter what subject has been allowed to be dominated by one individual. If someone were to somewhere mention ballet, this individual would reply with paragraph upon paragraph on the optimum diameter of the tutu and the merits of the aerodynamics of different material for the shoe. I'm sure i'm not the only one in thinking there would be far more contributors if it wasn't for the fact that they know this self thinking superior being is not waiting in the wings to correct, admonish, ridicule or patronise their posts with unfeasible, limitless knowledge. Who is this individual trying to impress. It's the literary equivalent of having a fierce looking dog with a studded collar and chain or a sporty looking car with large exhausts. Just because you have nothing else to do than trawl the internet and then regurgitate pages of inane tedious drivel on any subject and send everyone to sleep is not, i think, particularly enlightening.

Think of the instances where said individual has started threads in the expectation that someone will take the bait so presenting the opportunity of displaying their undoubted superior wisdom. There has even been occasions where the individual has answered their own posts, presumably because everyone else has nodded off. It is pathetic. When at one time it used to be an enjoyable few minutes to browse the Forum, i now find myself skipping anything that includes this persons moniker, which doesn't leave a lot else as practically every thread on every subject is infected with this irritant.

It's such a shame that this once interesting and informative site over many years has been reduced to dominance by one gigantic bore.

Anyone for Interkriti?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:18 am

Yorgo wrote:..."Crete beer is like pee"...

Got to agree with that. I've seen the laboratory analysis report and it said that "This horse is fit for no further work".

Yorgo wrote:...The use of "moron" is insulting...

It's odd that most people would probably regard calling somebody a moron as worse than calling someone an idiot. There used to be a scale used by psychologists, now no longer employed, and on that scale an idiot was somebody with an IQ between 0 and 25 while a moron was somebody with an IQ between 51 and 70. The term imbecile sat between them. Above 70 is within the normal range. Today the terms mild, moderate, severe and profound are used to describe levels on intellectual inability. They tend to be judged more on what a person can and cannot do rather than IQ scores. IQ scores today seem to be mainly of interest to people who still support the ideas of eugenics and to members of MENSA, with at least some overlap of the two groups. Mild severity pretty much corresponds to the old term moron.

It does bring into question the intellectual ability of the person issuing the insult if they cannot even deliver a meaningful accurate insult?

I didn't find the initial post insulting, Kamisiana, and I presume it was directed at me. I did find it objectively inaccurate in many respects but I find many of Saddler's opinions objectively inaccurate and have challenged them, which I suspect is why he made the post? I have no problem with people disagreeing with me. They state their opinion, I state mine, others read those opinions and make their own mind up. That's how a forum works. I agree with Yorgo's views on respect and I try to avoid insulting people but in this day and age of social media and echo chambers, simply disagreeing with someone is often interpreted as an insult

Warwick

Howard

Postby Howard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:54 pm

Jeez, I've stumbled into a masturbation parlour!

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:58 pm

There's always one! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm

Howard wrote:Jeez, I've stumbled into a masturbation parlour!

Always good to keep your hand in, Howard.

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:44 pm

OOOH Matron.

shine on

Postby shine on » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Think it’s time there was a mass debate about this :D

Howard

Postby Howard » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:17 pm

bobscott wrote:There's always one! Bob.

Not just one, there's a whole bunch of them, old men waving their dicks at each other. I suppose it helps to pass the time.

peebee

Postby peebee » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:41 am

Kilkis wrote:
Yorgo wrote:..."Crete beer is like pee"...

Got to agree with that. I've seen the laboratory analysis report and it said that "This horse is fit for no further work".

Warwick

Really ? I think the Charma lager is pretty bland, but the pale ale is extremely nice, reminds me of a certain brew from Bury St Edmunds

DJ

Postby DJ » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:34 am

This thread has gone way past its sell by date, Please, Carolina, put it out of its misery. It is embarrassing the previously good reputation of this forum.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Kamisiana -
I have clearly expressed my truly held belief that there is absolutely no need whatsoever to deride, insult, put-down, besmirch, attack by use of words, any person on a forum or the internet except if necessary as a direct response to a disrespectful person, who does not deserve respect by virtue of their instigating disrespect. Play the ball not the player. It is cowardly to snide at a person directly by use of the keyboard. I always operate on the internet/forums in the exact same manner as if I was physically with the person in discourse. Despite the fact Kilkis seems indifferent to my unrequested support I repeat my assertion as to the overwhelming assistance he has given to numerous people on this forum. By any stretch of the imagination - I can not see any excuse or reason to snide away at him or for that matter, at any user of the forum.
If one is a snidey person that person should own it. Dont slight a person you have never met then justify by use of "I tell it how it is so whats your problem" ??
Notedly its is always people who do not contribute positively to said forum. They never help anyone or post a helpful thread in the spirit/purpose of said forum. In effect you are as the person of whom you make derisory claims.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:31 pm

I'm not indifferent, Yorgo. I simply agree with DJ's sentiment.

You will never get people to change their views whoever they are or whatever those views are. I try to argue against statements made when I believe the statements to be false. I don't do so to change the persons mind, I realise that will never happen. I do so because I don't want others to be mislead by those false statements. At least if I put an alternative argument there is a chance they will think about it and make their own mind up. Some people are quite happy to have someone put an alternative view and some aren't. Those that aren't tend to react badly. You can recognise some of them in this thread. Αυτή είναι η ζωή or C'est la vie as you English say.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:13 am

mouche wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUusX1Js6R0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUusX1J ... sameStreet

Return to “General Discussion & News”