Postal charges

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
mythos master

Postal charges

Postby mythos master » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:53 am

Does anybody know if cost of postage has increased,been posting to UK for 0.90 cents for ages now
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Kilkis

Re: Postal charges

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:40 pm

Just a teeny weeny increase to €2 for a letter under 20g and €2.50 for a letter over 20g. That is for first class, which is what you got with the previous €0.90 and €1.30 fees for under and over 20g respectively. I think you can reduce it to €1 for under 20g and €1.50 over 20g if you ask for second class but I don't know what that does to the delivery time. I've never used that service. You can check postage on this web page.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:28 pm

Crikey! I didn’t know that.
Someday is now : )

margarita

Postby margarita » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:09 pm

Yin&Yang wrote:Crikey! I didn’t know that.

I think it was announced just before the lockdown so didn't get much attention.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:10 pm

Yes, I got a bit of a shock when I went to post several normal envelopes, i.e. the sort of size your phone/electricity/water bill comes in, and one large one, i.e. the sort that takes A4 sheets not folded, all to the UK. The large one was €3.50. He didn't ask me if I wanted second class so I am not sure if it applies for letters to the UK?

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:35 am

Kilkis wrote:Just a teeny weeny increase to €2 for a letter under 20g and €2.50 for a letter over 20g. That is for first class, which is what you got with the previous €0.90 and €1.30 fees for under and over 20g respectively. I think you can reduce it to €1 for under 20g and €1.50 over 20g if you ask for second class but I don't know what that does to the delivery time. I've never used that service. You can check postage on this web page.

Warwick

Tried the link Warwick and got this once I was 'inside it':

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /en-us/personal/lettersparcels/domesticfirstandsecondclasslettermail.aspx

Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:58 am

I'm not sure what went wrong, Bob. The URL in the link is https://www.elta.gr/en-us/calculatepostage.aspx Try that. If that doesn't work just go to https://www.elta.gr , click on the union flag at top right to get English then a little below that also at the right under Tools click on Calculate Postage.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 am

Your link worked for me yesterday Warwick.

Lynn
Someday is now : )

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 am

I went back and checked the link this morning, Lynn, and you are right, it is correct. The URL Bob reported above is clearly missing the http://www.elta.gr so it certainly wouldn't work. Even if you add that, however, it is still a non-existent page. How it became corrupted when Bob tried it I have no idea, hence the alternative routes.

I am aware that sometimes links don't work when somebody else tries to use them, which is why I sometimes start with a home page and describe the steps to get to the wanted page. If I go through the steps myself until I get to the key page, then copy the link and post it, it sometimes doesn't work if somebody else clicks on it while it continues to work for me. For example this is the page to get into the system to pay car tax: https://www1.gsis.gr/webtax2/telhkykl/y ... /index.jsp I think this link will work for everybody. All they have to do is click on the ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ button. This is the page that appears when you click on the ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ button: https://www1.gsis.gr/webtax2/telhkykl/login.do I suspect, but don't know for sure, that if somebody else clicks on that link it won't work for them? Perhaps somebody could try it and report back? Especially somebody who has never visited that page before.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:21 pm

Got it thanks through the ELTA link. My bookmark url for this is now: http://www.elta.gr/Portals/0/Files/___01_2020_1.pdf
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi Warwick

I tried and got this Invalid path /year2012/telhkykl/logout was requested

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:29 pm

Thanks, Forsto, that is what I expected. I presume the first URL that gives you the ΕΙΣΟΔΟΣ button worked OK?

Hi, Bob. The URL you have bookmarked is to get the price list as a pdf document. You don't actually need to bookmark that. If you have clicked on it you have already downloaded the price list and it should be in your Downloads folder. If it isn't you can save it to a folder when it is open in Acrobat reader using File then Save As. You can then open it at any time without being on line. The URL I gave, i.e. https://www.elta.gr/en-us/calculatepostage.aspx , is an interactive web page where you can enter details of the item you wish to send and it will calculate a price of you.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 pm

Does anybody know if cost of postage has increased,been posting to UK for 0.90 cents for ages now

Bloody hell, has it really gone up over 100%? When did that happen? I obviously don't send many letters to international destinations because i hadn't noticed either.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi Warwick

Yes, absolutely fine, thanks.

Return to “General Discussion & News”