Spouses selling a house

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: Spouses selling a house

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:13 pm

Sounds like you were lucky, Kamisiana. I've never sold a property in Greece so I don't have personal experience. My post was based on a fusion of a number of friends who have in the last year or so. Their lawyers all seemed to see their job as telephoning them and telling them what paperwork they had to get and where to get it from. Repeat for as many pieces of paper as were needed, which seemed to be endless.

I presume that their experience was partly due to legal reasons. In order to get the paperwork they had to be present in person with their ID. I would imagine that if they had given their lawyers power of attorney to carry out all these tasks in their name then the lawyer would probably have done it for them. Without such a power of attorney I would guess the lawyer would not be able to get the forms. I don't think any of them found it in anyway difficult just a bit tedious. Most of the bureaucrats they had to deal with were friendly and helpful but there is always the inevitable queue. I think the main annoying part was that they would often ask, "Is this the last form that is needed?" and be told that it was only to be phoned a few days later to be asked for another one.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Yes I must say total POT when we bought and sold was without doubt the best thing we did, we did have few phone calls from our lawyer when selling (to say she was a bit flustered would be an understatement) dealing with estate agent and other things,
and the bank of Xania after we had left, all things we would have had to battle with instead of enjoying a coffee or beer in the village :lol:

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:35 pm

Kilkis wrote:I don't know why the buyer's lawyer would want 6 years E1 tax returns? What does your lawyer say?

It is not the job of the buyer's lawyer to ensure that "you don't escape owing a few cents" that is the job of the Notary. The Notary will require certificates from a whole range of bodies to prove that all payments due to that body are up to date and you don't owe anything, before she issues the contract.

It probably is their notary now you mention it, as they have been in touch. We're seriously considering giving total POA to our lawyer and damn the expense. MrsB can't make the long trip to Athens by public transport, I can't do the drive with a (passing) medical condition and my Greek is very poor, so I'd probably need a translator anyway.

Our accountant and mechanico reckon we're the most legal people in the most legal house in Greece, which means there's bound to be some horrible glitch. I wonder what it will be? ;)

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Heard from our lawyer today that we need an 'energy efficiency' report before the sale. Pay some geezer to come in and look at a bunch of hefty stone walls, poor insulation etc and rate it 'D' on the A-E scale? You see these reports on UK house sales on Rightmove and the like, but had no idea it had spread to Greece. The energy geezer will never find the house, so I'll have to meet him on the main road and drive him up here. Great.

Man, we're swimming in bureaucracy here and that's with the help of a local lawyer we've grown to trust. I suppose a lot has changed in the nearly 13 years we've lived here. Buying was a breeze and selling looked pretty easy when we got this place. I could not recommend buying in Greece these days, for the simple fact that selling can be such a nightmare. I see a few of the 'Brits in Greece'-type FB groups have plenty of people still wanting to buy while they can, but me and MrsB are refraining from comment.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:07 pm

GlennB wrote:... Buying was a breeze and selling looked pretty easy when we got this place. I could not recommend buying in Greece these days, for the simple fact that selling can be such a nightmare...

Believe me Glenn, you don't know the half of it. The bureaucracy you are "swimming in" is nothing compared to what some people had/have to go through. Try selling if you are on a split plot and the person who owns the other half has no interest in becoming legal and/or is in massive debt to the state. Then you will discover what the word bureaucracy really means. Fortunately the bureaucracy imposed now should reduce problems for people who are buying today when they come to sell in the future. You are having problems because it might have seemed easy when you bought but unknown to you it was really the wild west. The laws existed the same back then but everybody ignored them including lawyers and Notaries. When the law started to get enforced it wasn't their problem it was yours.

Assuming the person who is going to do the energy efficiency survey has an email address why not mark a route from somewhere easily recognisable to your house on Google earth, save the view and email it to him. They'll still get lost, because the average Greek cannot read a map, but he should get closer and you can talk him in the last bit or pick him up closer to home.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:36 am

GlennB wrote: The energy geezer will never find the house, so I'll have to meet him on the main road and drive him up here. Great.

Would not the engineer/surveyor/architect that did your legalisation carry out the energy survey for you? They usually do. He/she will know the way?

Tim

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:50 am

Tim wrote:
GlennB wrote: The energy geezer will never find the house, so I'll have to meet him on the main road and drive him up here. Great.

Would not the engineer/surveyor/architect that did your legalisation carry out the energy survey for you? They usually do. He/she will know the way?

Tim

Second that engineer did ours from a few phone pics and and original plans.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:27 pm

Kamisiana wrote:
Tim wrote:

Tim

Second that engineer did ours from a few phone pics and and original plans.

Hmm ... I'd plough through the papers but the lawyer has them. Better speak to her. Cheers for the tip.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:01 pm

GlennB wrote:///Hmm ... I'd plough through the papers but the lawyer has them. Better speak to her. Cheers for the tip.

I don't think Tim and Kamisiana are saying that the engineer already has done the energy survey. You won't necessarily find an energy certificate amongst the existing documentation. You might but I wouldn't bank on it. The fact that the Notary is asking for it probably means it isn't already in the documentation.

I think that they are saying that the engineer can do the energy certificate for you and he might already have enough information, based on doing the topography and issuing a legality certificate, to issue an energy certificate without having to do another inspection. He might need a bit of extra information but possibly not another visit. The engineer is certainly the best person to ask to issue one.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:43 pm

That is exactly what I'm saying. The engineer who's doing my legalisation also does energy surveys - I know because I asked her.

Tim

Return to “General Discussion & News”