E1 payments for 2019

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

E1 payments for 2019

Postby GlennB » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:29 am

I was just talking to our accountant who is preparing our 2019 E1. No problems with that, but he mentioned that payment of 2019 E1 is delayed until August. This could be a problem as we're selling this house and the notary is checking we have no debts to the state. If the 2019 E1 is submitted but unpaid we could appear to owe money.

Was something lost in translation here? Does he mean payment *can* be deferred until August? My car is buggered until a spare part arrives and I can't drive to his office, and phone calls/emails are always fraught.

Cheers all.

Kilkis

Re: E1 payments for 2019

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm

As far as I am aware the web site for submitting E1 declarations is open already. According to ΑΑΔΕ web site the deadline for submission is still 30/06/2020. I might be wrong. When my accountant submits my E1 I get a statement immediately. The statement shows the amount owed and has a payment code, if you want to pay it all in full, or 3 separate payment codes, if you want to pay in instalments. I've never had a problem paying it immediately.

I think the deadline for making the payment, or the first instalment, was the end of July. I suspect that he is saying that this deadline has been delayed until August. I don't think that should prevent you paying as long as he submits the declaration now.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm

Our accountant has already submitted our return, and we have the clearance. First payment (or full payment) listed as the end of July, as usual.

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:52 pm

Your replies are exactly as I thought, 'lost in translation'. I guess he was trying to reassure us that there was no pressure to pay quickly but failed to take in the fact that a notary is examining our financial affairs. I would also guess that, technically, we don't actually owe that money yet as the E1 schedule is still open. Whether that would satisfy the notary I have no idea.

Thetis

Postby Thetis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:15 pm

When it comes to sale/tranfer of a property, the last form/document seller/sellers lawyer will procuce is E9.
This comes from taxsys, and is provided from the accountant.

E9 declares that on a given date, absolutely all kind of taxes registered on the seller(s), or the property, is fully paid.
Of obvious reasons, this document will be dated as close as possible to date of signing/transfer of the property to a new owner, which is why it is the last document provided.

In good time before the accountant will check what (if any) has to be paid. Normally it will take more than a week from payment until this is registered in tax sys.

E9 is the document the notary will claim to sign off the transfer of ownership, when it comes to tax or other possible debt to the Government.
Nothing will be signed at the notary without this.

Hope that helps :-)

Tore

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 pm

GlennB wrote:...I would also guess that, technically, we don't actually owe that money yet as the E1 schedule is still open. Whether that would satisfy the notary I have no idea.

As Thetis says, the only thing that will satisfy the Notary is a certificate from the tax office saying that you don't owe any taxes, although I didn't think it was the E9. It doesn't matter how the Notary views it, therefore, it is how the tax office views it. Will the tax office issue the necessary certificate?

I am not sure that the tax office will view it from a technical point of view? The aim of making the Notary responsible for collecting ALL the certificates, from various sources, that you don't owe anything is to force people to pay up. If you want to sell your property you have to pay all public debts or the sale doesn't go through. The TAXISnet system is open all year round, since people may need to submit amendments for previous submissions, but the form to submit the previous year's return, i.e. 2019 at the moment, only becomes available on a certain date. This year it was some time during the week starting 13 April 2020. I suspect that once the system is open for 2019 the tax office will expect you to have made a return for 2019 and paid whatever is owed for 2019 before they issue the certificate. I could be wrong. They might view it as not being owed until you have gone past the payment deadline but I wouldn't bank on it.

If you have used a Power of Attorney to let the Notary obtain all the necessary certificates on your behalf I would have thought that the Notary would be able to tell you if there was going to be a problem?

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Kilkis wrote:...
If you have used a Power of Attorney to let the Notary obtain all the necessary certificates on your behalf I would have thought that the Notary would be able to tell you if there was going to be a problem?
Warwick

The notary in question is the buyers' notary, and the buyers will shortly give POA to their lawyer. Our lawyer here will soon have POA over our affairs.

Presumably our lawyer/accountant can do a 'trial run' prior to the signing, but we don't want to be blowing our match of their 10k deposit over a technicality. I should add that no deposit has been received yet because of their 'pending' POA status.

Their lawyer, by the way, is French but is licenced to work in Greece and has offices in Athens. He is a pedant of the highest order and I'm getting a bad feeling about this. I half suspect he's dragging this out to fleece his Belgian clients (who are sweeties ;) ) for maximum fees. It was he who announced that the signing would be at an Athens notary of his choice - no discussion.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:45 pm

GlennB wrote:...The notary in question is the buyers' notary, and the buyers will shortly give POA to their lawyer. Our lawyer here will soon have POA over our affairs...

I am not sure I understand that concept. Surely the Notary is independent? The Notary is acting for both parties in drawing up a contract that transfers ownership of the property from you to the buyers. It is true that the buyer pays the Notary's fee but the Notary is not acting purely on behalf of the buyer. The Notary has to fulfil legal obligations as laid down in Greek legislation. It is your responsibility to provide whatever documentation the Notary needs in order to discharge their legal obligations. If you give full power of attorney to your lawyer than they can discharge your responsibility for you, i.e. collect all the necessary documentation, otherwise you must do it yourself. If your lawyer is unable to collect the necessary documentation, e.g. because you have not paid some debt or the house cannot be certified as legal then that is your problem to resolve.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:02 am

Yes, what I meant was that the notary was chosen by the buyer.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:13 pm

My accountant has now submitted my E1 tax return, I have the assessment and I could pay it immediately if I wanted to, so there should be no problem paying yours, Glenn, if you need to do it in order to complete the sale.

My accountant's advice is to delay a little, unless you really need to pay it. He believes that the government could be about to pass a new law giving a 2 % discount for paying in full so it is worth waiting a little to see if that happens, since it is not due until 31 July 2020.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”