Let's alter history

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
johnincrete

Let's alter history

Postby johnincrete » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:26 am

It has been the norm for zealots of the past to seek to change or hide parts of the truth of history to suit their propaganda. It is obvious that the current "Black lives matter" movement, although started with a genuine desire, has been infiltrated by a group intent on distorting the history of the British Empire such that there is a demand to remove statues of people who, they say, had a history of the slave trade. Now, various organizations and companies are kowtowing to these loud mouth thugs. The cry is that the British Empire was all bad and that historical figures were, by definition, themselves all bad. There is no room for all the good they did.
I read somewhere recently of someone who was vilified and called a racist because he said that ALL lives matter. While it is true that some people who lived in a climate where their natural skin colour contained protection from the sun, were treated badly but what of the vast sums of money and resources that enabled previously backward countries to thrive in the modern world.
Let us not be fooled by the zealots. It is all lives that matter and we should learn from the successes and failures of history so as to treat each other with respect irrespective of race and skin colour NOW, today and forever. I don't say "Forget the past" but I say "Learn from it".

Yin&Yang

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Yin&Yang » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:41 am

Here here John
Someday is now : )

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:01 am

The most depressing thing about the recent statue demolition in Bristol is that the police stood by and did nothing. They appear to believe that the law should not be enforced if it would involve arresting those who have the might of social media on their side.

They are also probably hyper-sensitive to anything that might get accusations of racism thrown at them.

What a world we live in. So pleased to be in Greece.

Andrew

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:03 am

Colour is a lack of respect, which is under mans control, but man has always chosen to be ignorant. As you say, history should be kept and remembered to learn from, but so far, man has a terrible memory.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:02 am

There is quite a deep vein of racism running through Greek society, Andrew, it is just not directed at people like us so you don't really experience it. Even if you do experience, and I have, it is very mild and greatly outweighed by the more common respect. Racism of one sort or another and to a greater or lesser extent is universal. It stems from ignorance. You can never eliminate ignorance so you can never eliminate racism. You can pass a law that stops a landlady putting a vacancy notice in her window saying, "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" but you cannot pass a law that takes the thought out of her mind that led her to write that notice.

Warwick

evansmr1

Postby evansmr1 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:28 am

Tear down all the British Cotton Mills and of course Manchester. All thrived from the USA Cotton trade.
And whist we are on that subject, what about the Slavery in the UK, in particular the Cotton Industry where workers would catch a disease caused by cotton in the air being sucked into their lungs. Also, of course, do not forget the Mining industry. I am certain that there were many more Industries in the UK that miss-treated their employees.
History must not be removed, it is so important to learn from the many mistakes and not make them again.
Where do these stupid people, demonstrating, get their ideas from. Most of them are young and have no full knowledge of the past.
Mike
=============
Sic parvis magnaike

shine on

Postby shine on » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:26 am

evansmr1 wrote:Most of them are young and have no full knowledge of the past.

And no hope for the future.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:13 pm

evansmr1 wrote:...Most of them are young and have no full knowledge of the past.

They do know their present and for a large number of them it is very different from your present.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:17 pm

What a breath of fresh air a young woman from Ghana with her head screwed on and no chip on her shoulder.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... atter.html

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Britain was the most dominant between 1640 and 1807 when the British slave trade was abolished. It is estimated that Britain transported 3.1 million Africans (of whom 2.7 million arrived) to the British colonies in the Caribbean, North and South America and to other countries.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/slav ... -trade.pdf

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Something i never learned at school but later found out that slave trading was very common in Africa way back and it is not unheard of even now. Not condoning slavery at all but it wasnt only white people enslaving black. Racism is still awful and is also everywhere and i agree ALL lives matter.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:45 pm

mouche wrote:Britain was the most dominant between 1640 and 1807 when the British slave trade was abolished. It is estimated that Britain transported 3.1 million Africans (of whom 2.7 million arrived) to the British colonies in the Caribbean, North and South America and to other countries.

I think Spain and Portugal win on overall numbers

https://www.slavevoyages.org/assessment/estimates

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:07 pm

Kamisiana wrote:
mouche wrote:Britain was the most dominant between 1640 and 1807 when the British slave trade was abolished. It is estimated that Britain transported 3.1 million Africans (of whom 2.7 million arrived) to the British colonies in the Caribbean, North and South America and to other countries.

I think Spain and Portugal win on overall numbers

https://www.slavevoyages.org/assessment/estimates

Maybe so, but nothing to be proud of in my opinion!

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/m ... t-humanity

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Totally agree mouche but it is part of all "our" history right or wrong history is history without it nothing would exist.
https://www.newsinenglish.no/2014/09/28 ... ts-norway/

mouche

Postby mouche » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:43 pm

I may be wrong but to the best of my knowledge ordinary crewmembers had ( and have) little say with respect to where the vessels sailed and what cargo to bring.

Return to “General Discussion & News”