Let's alter history

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Mixos
Posts: 511
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:26 am
Location: North East Crete or S.W.England

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Mixos » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 pm

Why is this thread even on here? It has nothing to do with Living in Crete. There are plenty of "echo chambers" on social media where people can express their opinions to their hearts' content. Carol has ticked us off in the past for straying off message. I'm not saying the topic isn't important. It is. But the clue is in the name of this website.

Blakey_Bloke
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:45 pm

johnincrete wrote:While it is true that some people who lived in a climate where their natural skin colour contained protection from the sun, were treated badly but what of the vast sums of money and resources that enabled previously backward countries to thrive in the modern world.


This has to be the most shocking, and disgraceful, summation of that shameful era that I have ever read! I don't really know where to start, so to preserve my own sanity I will not.

Black lives do matter!

Ray
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Chania, Crete
Contact:

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Ray » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:12 pm

The recent phenomenen of Black Lives Matter, should be discussed as any other political matter and understood for what it is. Hre is a simple essay regarding the claims of this movement.
https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/06/2 ... es-matter/
Perhaps you can see from this that it is not really about BLM but about a planned action to attack Britain.

Ray

Guy M
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Kalamitsi Alexandrou

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Guy M » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:36 pm

Mixos wrote:Why is this thread even on here? It has nothing to do with Living in Crete. There are plenty of "echo chambers" on social media where people can express their opinions to their hearts' content. Carol has ticked us off in the past for straying off message. I'm not saying the topic isn't important. It is. But the clue is in the name of this website.


I agree. The gap between most people’s views in this thread and my own are enormous, but it’s not the place to get involved.

Here’s a book to read for those who are interested in thinking about white superiority and white fragility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Me-White-Supre ... 1529405106

bobscott
Posts: 2836
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Let's alter history

Postby bobscott » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Guy M wrote:
Mixos wrote:Why is this thread even on here? It has nothing to do with Living in Crete. There are plenty of "echo chambers" on social media where people can express their opinions to their hearts' content. Carol has ticked us off in the past for straying off message. I'm not saying the topic isn't important. It is. But the clue is in the name of this website.


I agree. The gap between most people’s views in this thread and my own are enormous, but it’s not the place to get involved.

Here’s a book to read for those who are interested in thinking about white superiority and white fragility.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Me-White-Supre ... 1529405106


I just love the way Guy that you support Mixos in terms of the validity of this topic on LIC and then go on to promote literature about the subject! To repeat yet again sentiments expressed by others on this forum; we live in Crete but many of us have close family ties with GB so of course the subject interests us - especially those of us who are totally disenfranchised in the UK! A degree of tolerance is always a good idea. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kamisiana
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Keeping it about "Greece" anyone in the rose tinted specs wing of the forum have any idea how many black members there are in the Greek parliament or police or customs or any other state run enterprises, anyone seen a black Greek orthodox papas, maybe the PC brigade should get over there and deface a few memorials and try burning the Greek flag?
Greece has just this year voted in its first female president though.
PS happy anniversary all four years today :lol: :D

Guy M
Posts: 519
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 pm
Location: Kalamitsi Alexandrou

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Guy M » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:59 am

bobscott wrote:
I just love the way Guy that you support Mixos in terms of the validity of this topic on LIC and then go on to promote literature about the subject! To repeat yet again sentiments expressed by others on this forum; we live in Crete but many of us have close family ties with GB so of course the subject interests us - especially those of us who are totally disenfranchised in the UK! A degree of tolerance is always a good idea. Bob.


Sorry, Bob. I was trying to encourage people to explore beyond what they might normally look at. Believe me, if i’d really engaged I would have given a lot more detail of my views.....

Kilkis
Posts: 12395
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:25 am

I think a lot of the topics discussed in the spiked online article miss the point. A very tiny proportion of any population is violent so looking at racial attacks tells you little about racism in the wider community. The same can be said of the proportion of criminals of different ethnicity. While whether there is bias in the criminal justice system is a topic for serious debate it is still only looking at a small number of people. It is important to that small number but doesn't shed light on the wider issue. Also asking people's opinions can be very misleading. People generally have learned over many years what is regarded as socially acceptable and what is not so you will tend to get responses that fit the social norm even when that isn't their real view. It is noticeable that the article uses the Afro-Caribbean community to discus mixed marriages. Mixed marriages have never been a taboo in the Caribbean. The first black people I became friends with were a couple from Jamaica. He had a white father and a black mother. His wife was part white, part black and part Chinese.

A better indicator of how widespread racism is in the community is a measure of the barriers people from a BAME background face in everyday life. Since the first Race Relations Act was passed in 1965 there have been countless studies of how ethnicity affects employment opportunity. A typical method used is to send identical CVs but with different names. A recent study by Oxford University found that people who stated that they were born in the UK or came here at a very young age, but were from the BAME community, had to send far more applications before getting invited for interview. What's more they compared the results with a similar study carried out in 1969 and found that there was little or no change in the results over a 50 year period. There are some of the details in this Guardian article. The level of discrimination is not uniform across different ethnic groups within the BAME community.

The couple I mentioned earlier had no real Jamaican accent, in fact the wife's was more American, since she had worked for a time as a librarian in New York. In 1967 they had just come to the UK and were living in temporary accommodation provided by the University but were looking for a flat to rent. Everyday the wife would go out and buy the local evening paper, which came out about noon, look for adverts for flats to rent and phone any that looked promising to make an appointment to view that evening. When they went to the appointment, in virtually every case, the person would answer the door, stop and stare at them and then say sorry but someone had just rented the apartment so it was no longer vacant. She would then check over the following days and see that it was still being advertised. In the article linked above the Guardian reports that the same is happening today.

The racism of apartheid has gone and other extreme forms of racism are certainly at a much lower level than they were back in the mid 20th century but widespread discrimination lives on largely unnoticed except by those who suffer from it.

Warwick

Blakey_Bloke
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Blakey_Bloke » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Ray wrote:Perhaps you can see from this that it is not really about BLM but about a planned action to attack Britain.

Ray


Ray, you appear to place a high degree of faith in unrepresentative and unverified news sources such as ‘Spiked’.

You may want to consider getting your news/views from alternative sources. Here are a couple to get you started...

https://twitter.com/nadinebh_/status/12 ... 37921?s=21

https://twitter.com/thaunfriendly1/stat ... 28289?s=21

Maud
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:46 pm
Location: S.W. England/ S.W. Crete.

Re: Let's alter history

Postby Maud » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:41 pm

I had already read the Guardian article before you posted the link Warwick. - I hope others find the time to read it.

Thanks for the link to the book Guy. I have just ordered it.


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: allan, starfish and 20 guests