Barking / unattended dogs nuisance

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
alansmithnl

Barking / unattended dogs nuisance

Postby alansmithnl » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Some years agor - no more than two, someone sent me a mail with an information sheet that was written in English and Greek, informing owners of nuisance dogs barking and unattended dogs, what the potential consequences were if they were reported. I lost the mail and consequently, the info.
If anyone knows about this particular information sheet, would they [please let me have a copy or let me know where to get one.
Alan

Kookla

Re: Barking / unattended dogs nuisance

Postby Kookla » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi I have sent you a pm

lDm

Postby lDm » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Kookla wrote:Hi I have sent you a pm

sorry to bother - any chance you could duplicate to me? (assuming you fwd the leaflet?) many thanks ahead

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:25 pm

I think it would be very useful to publish a contact number. Last year we experienced an incident where we were kept awake all night by a dog yelping. After several days and nights of this we tracked it down to a nearby villa and saw it was a dog tied up. It looked healthy and was in the shade bit it didnt stop the barking for days.
We actally knocked on their door and they said they didnt know who the dog belonged to as they were just renting the place.
We had no idea what to do or who to contact. The day after it stopped but i was very worried and it was very annoying too.
I would love to know what could be done if it ever happens again.

lDm

Postby lDm » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:52 pm

chrissyg wrote:Last year we experienced an incident where we were kept awake all night by a dog yelping.

My impression is that it is, unfortunately, very common practice for local owners to just bring the dog, tie it up
(and often leave it like that - so my understanding is that they will visit periodically to feed it/or similar arrangement?/ but otherwise ignore it and leave it chained.. some people do it permanently, others just "in season" to "guard alert" for the villa..)
I say this based on my own experience, staying in various places in Crete / Greece (so it appears to be a mentality/cultural thing considered as normal..?).

I know of dogs that are chained/leashed 24/7, even if the owner is nearby. No walks, no interaction, just feeding.
I know of another dog who belongs to a seasonal taverna owners - when they open for tourists, they bring the dog. The dog is kept at all times in a locked /isolated/ open air space, where he literally goes nuts and cannot shut up due to anxiety of separation.
I know of several villas that get "guard dogs" for the summer, and the situation is pretty much the same - they start barking out of boredom, or lack of attention, or at each other.. and I know of a chained dog (leashed for life on a field nearby house) who got deaf, and barks non-stop 24/7 as neighbours suspect due to the inability of hearing/adequacy of alert.
Having said that, the luckiest dogs in my opinion are the ones of the shepherds - they get to eat, interact, do a job, walk, etc. Never had one act crazy or aggressive even when they are "stationed to guard".

In my view, it's not only the obvious disturbance (noise pollution outside acceptable hours / intervals for which the Greek civil code will have a provision somewhere next to the one about quiet hours), but that such acts induce anxiety onto dogs, which in some other EU countries is viewed as abusive. In other words, if those dogs would be allowed to exercise / socialize, their barking would probably only on a real need basis..

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi IDm,
I don’t have the leaflet to which alansmithnl was referring. It looked to me, from his area that he is in the Apokoronas, although, there are a few Armenoi villages...
If he and you are in the Apokoronas district, I suggested to him that he contact his village rep.You can find them listed on the Apokoronas Our Home website. I am not affiliated in any way to them, but would think that they can advise you as to who to contact.
All the best and good luck, failing that, perhaps ask at a vets office for advice.

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 am

Looking back through the pm's, I see that it was sent by the OldCodger, but he's not been active since Feb last year and I didn't save it to one of my hard drives, which was a shame.
I'll see the local rep later today.
Thanks everyone
Alan

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:19 am

All you need to do is contact the local police. There are various laws to deal with this, and unless you are unlucky, they will come and speak harshly to the owner of the dog. Unless it's their cousin, obviously.

Andrew

lDm

Postby lDm » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:42 pm

yeah, 3rd cousin love is a biggie - the whole local community here is an extended family so things are done / seen the same way; and a rep. may not do much *unless there's a specific law for it, aside from the quiet hours rule..
thanks everyone for the feedback¬!

alansmithnl

Postby alansmithnl » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:31 am

Yes, I k ow all about the relationships of the police, especially here in Armenoi. It's not a bad problem,really,it's just the few times the dog barks in the very early morning like 0230, 0300, 0330 etc,it's so powerful. I'll have to wait until his wife gets back from Athens and make some suggestions.
Thanks for all the helpful replies, but I knew that all the time. I just wanted to give him a wake up call!

Alan

Return to “General Discussion & News”