Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ros21m

Re: Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

Postby ros21m » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:16 pm

My local mini market owner, says Crete will be closed & lockdown in August, & we're not in a tourist area! And that was bedore they announced British flights from 15h July!!!

shine on

Postby shine on » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 pm

‘And Hell came with them’

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:33 pm

ros21m wrote:My local mini market owner, says Crete will be closed & lockdown in August, & we're not in a tourist area! And that was bedore they announced British flights from 15h July!!!

Must be true then! Could you ask him for next weeks lottery numbers when you see him next :D

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:06 am

Jackdaw I find your reply REPULSIVE ! Iknow that you don't live in Crete, but have a holiday home here! IF you did live here, you would maybe, be sympathetic, to the elderley population, who live in the mountian regions of Crete,which is where I live & this was quote from the owner of my local minimarket. You have not been in Crete, or Greece during the lockdown WE have lived through. I don't know where you were, I suspect the UK, but I really don't care. You have shown nothing but contempt for the people of Crete in your last couple of posts, wanting a rebate etc & now making fun of the local Cretan's fear!!!
Quite honestly you disgust me. and I don't know your resident status, but I sincerely hope, that you will be one of those that will be weeded out from next year!

Anyone want to defend him this time around?

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:05 am

ros21m wrote:Jackdaw I find your reply REPULSIVE ! Iknow that you don't live in Crete, but have a holiday home here! IF you did live here, you would maybe, be sympathetic, to the elderley population, who live in the mountian regions of Crete,which is where I live & this was quote from the owner of my local minimarket. You have not been in Crete, or Greece during the lockdown WE have lived through. I don't know where you were, I suspect the UK, but I really don't care. You have shown nothing but contempt for the people of Crete in your last couple of posts, wanting a rebate etc & now making fun of the local Cretan's fear!!!
Quite honestly you disgust me. and I don't know your resident status, but I sincerely hope, that you will be one of those that will be weeded out from next year!

How can you presume to know where my sympathies lie? Our holiday home is in a remote village. I know all my elderly neighbours in the village and their families, who we see at Easter and when they come from Athens in the summer. You think I take their situation, their safety, any differently to my own family? You know nothing! And without disrespecting your minimarket owner in your 'non-tourist' area any more than I have already done, I would suggest that his opinion is merely speculation.
You are correct to say that I have not been in Crete during recent months. I've been at home in the UK where, unlike Crete, the virus has been among us. We haven't had to worry about putting food on the table or, fortunately, about our business going bust (as many in the tourist industry in Cornwall have). However we have had to worry about our family. Our son working in the two largest regional hospitals with many COVID cases. Our daughter teaching pupils whose parents are key workers. Our daughter-in-law and granddaughter working in the care sector. My sister, also in the care sector, trying to manage the care of those elderly folks being discharged from hospital into homes. At times I would have gladly exchanged our position with anyone in Crete, but have always felt relieved to know that our Cretan friends and neighbours were safely isolated.
What is this 'weeding out' process of which you speak?
Thanks for the offer, but I need no one to rush to my defence..
Any detractors please form an orderly queue.

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:34 am

ros21m wrote:Jackdaw I find your reply REPULSIVE ! Iknow that you don't live in Crete, but have a holiday home here! IF you did live here, you would maybe, be sympathetic, to the elderley population, who live in the mountian regions of Crete,which is where I live & this was quote from the owner of my local minimarket. You have not been in Crete, or Greece during the lockdown WE have lived through. I don't know where you were, I suspect the UK, but I really don't care. You have shown nothing but contempt for the people of Crete in your last couple of posts, wanting a rebate etc & now making fun of the local Cretan's fear!!!

I think you need to calm down. Jackdaw was simply pointing out that your mini market owner has no way to know whether Greece will be in lockdown in August. It's just speculation.

Andrew

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:57 am

My accountant thinks there will be another lockdown in October presumably when the tourists have left.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:47 am

YoMo2,

No he was making fun of the local people, it's that I find so disrespectful!
"Must be true then! Could you ask him for next weeks lottery numbers when you see him next "

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 am

I am not sure Greece can hold out until October. If you look at the latest data it is clear that the number of new cases per day is increasing quite markedly. Towards the end of May and early June the figures were under 10 per day but on 9 July there were 50 new cases and the 7 day running average is around 30 per day. That might not sound a lot compared to places like the USA, Brazil, India or even the UK but Greece was only recording around 100 new cases per day at the peak.

It is also worth noting that around 75 % of new cases are being found in travellers coming into Greece. I don't think you can rely on tourists to behave responsibly. Some might report for a test if they start to suffer symptoms and risk self isolation but I think the majority who are asymptomatic or have very mild symptoms will just get on with their holiday. People who live here have, to a greater or lesser extent, a sense of responsibility to their community and so tend to follow the rules. To tourists they are all just strangers who they will never meet again.

Warwick

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am

Yes, I see what you mean. The infection rate is rising sharply which is alarming.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:51 am

It's illogical to think that opening up Greece to foreign tourists would not result in an increase in covid cases. Hopefully the authorities will be able to contain the infection and maintain their good record in controlling the virus. However I think allowing travellers from the UK from next week may prove to be the first time the Greek government has dropped the ball. Mass tourism from a country with such a relatively high infection rate will surely, as others have predicted, result in local, if not national lockdown measures.

Tim

(with apologies to all those who are currently packing their suitcases!)

mythos master

Postby mythos master » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:14 pm

I get the feeling that the gradual increase in positive cases is blamed on tourists arriving,people need to remember the virus needs to be present and then spread,since the easing of lockdown here most people don't wear masks,people in Lidl
which is one of the few controlling numbers in and out out their shop discard used gloves in the trolley ! I am continually seeing people greeting with kisses and or hugs,handshakes,so maybe visitors might unknowingly bring the virus but the local people seem to be doing their best to spread it,I read on one international news site that people will get used to wearing masks like they did seat belts,doesn't hold out much hope here then
a pessimist is an optimist with experience

Voni

Postby Voni » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:55 pm

A quote from Chania Post:

“According to the head of the health authorities of Crete, Lena Borboudaki, the island can cover 155 mild and moderate cases in its hospital structures, while if deemed necessary, they can reach a total of 328 beds.

As for the cases that will need hospitalization in ICU, there are currently 9 available beds, which can be increased within a few hours to 30, if necessary, but even to 60 if the cases have a large increase.“

I say again...please wear your PPE!

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Maybe Greece isn't to be deluged with British holidaymakers after all?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0&ito=1490

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0&ito=1490

Tim

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Voni wrote:A quote from Chania Post:

“According to the head of the health authorities of Crete, Lena Borboudaki, the island can cover 155 mild and moderate cases in its hospital structures, while if deemed necessary, they can reach a total of 328 beds.

As for the cases that will need hospitalization in ICU, there are currently 9 available beds, which can be increased within a few hours to 30, if necessary, but even to 60 if the cases have a large increase.“

Since visiting the recommended ear doctor in Chania, I can confirm that I can now hear the alarm bells ringing.

Return to “General Discussion & News”