Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Forsto

Re: Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

Postby Forsto » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 am

Greece obviously taking the threat seriously https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... sts-corfu/. How long before we learn if any arrivals tested positive? Fingers crossed!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:30 am

I wonder if fire engines were providing a "welcoming arch" or hosing down the outside of the plane with a water detergent mix to kill any virus on the outside of the plane's body?

A good example of why you can't rely on people to act responsibly. At the University of Alabama students are holding COVID parties. Students who do not have the disease all put money into a pot and then invite people who are known to have active COVID-19 to come to the party. The aim is to see who can catch COVID-19 first and they then win the pot. What next? Ebola parties? How long before campuses across America are copying this behaviour?

Heaven forfend that anybody should try to remove Americans' god given and constitutionally enshrined right to behave like complete idiots.

Warwick

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:40 pm

To follow on Warwick ...happened in San Antonio TX too. One who went on to catch the virus, his last words “I think I’ve made a mistake, I thought this was a hoax, it’s not”

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:34 pm

I read that as well Kookla. - You are correct. It was fact, not ‘fake news!’

The first flight from Bristol to Athens is due to take off tomorrow. The cost is £263 one way. The cost might deter some tourists, especially if it is a family, so more than a single ticket to purchase.
Last edited by Maud on Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:02 pm

A return flight from Gatwick to Heraklion booked ten days ago on EasyJet (Depart 19/8 - Return 28/8) would have cost you £36.99 there, and £44.99 back. In the middle of August. In the school holidays. Today, those same flights would cost you £30.99 and £56.87 respectively. Looks to me as though they can't fill their seats. It wouldn't surprise me if that particular flight on the 19th never makes it off the runway.

Tim

Maud

Postby Maud » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm

I can’t help but think that will be the same with lots of flights Tim. We have all seen flights cancelled at the last minute recently. It is not easy for travellers who also need to book accommodation. I assume lots of ‘independent’ tourists will not take the risk off booking a villa/room ahead, just in case they can’t get there!

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:22 pm

Maud wrote: just in case they can’t get there!

Or, indeed, can't get back. A sudden and decisive lockdown could leave a lot of tourists high and dry, especially if they have a job to go back to. Not sure I'd risk it this year. Having said that, I passed about a dozen rental cars on my 15 mile journey from Sitia to my village this morning. Unlikely to be Brits, but the tourists are certainly arriving.

Tim

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:35 pm

Beware, i am here.!!!
I think we were on the first british flight. Met by loads of photographers shoving microphones in our masked faces!

Joan

Postby Joan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Mystified by Tim's comment about July 19th... There is no Easyjet flight showing for Chania or Heraklion from Gatwick on July 19th, and there has not been for some time.

Joan

Midlander

Postby Midlander » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 pm

Joan i think you have misread Tim's post he says the Gatwick flight departs on the 19/8,thats August.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:38 pm

chrissyg wrote:Beware, i am here.!!!
I think we were on the first british flight. Met by loads of photographers shoving microphones in our masked faces!

If that was the BA flight we saw coming in tonight, yes, you were on the first British flight. Welcome!
Bob
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Welcome ? Really ? Judging by the tone of recent posts on here I thought most of you guys don't want your fellow Brits flying in !

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 am

Mixos wrote:Welcome ? Really ? Judging by the tone of recent posts on here I thought most of you guys don't want your fellow Brits flying in !

Depends on what face some members are wearing on the day :wink:

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 am

In all the cases I know personally, Kamisiana, it is not a question of being two faced but rather having very torn emotions. I know people who have family scheduled to visit them. On the one hand they desperately want them to come, because they miss seeing them immensely, but on the other hand they desperately don't want them to come in case they bring COVID-19 with them. Obviously they are concerned for their own safety, since they will have the closest contact, but also for the safety of their friends and neighbours. Understanding such emotional turmoil requires a certain amount of empathy.

Speaking purely from a personal point of view I hold no grudge against those who do decide to come and I recognise that the Greek economy needs them but I would prefer that they didn't come. I stress that is a purely personal opinion and not in any way trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. Everybody has to make their own decisions. I have postponed my own holiday back to August 2021. I couldn't hold that personal viewpoint, go on holiday and risk bringing COVID back to Crete. I am keeping a planned trip to the UK in late October under review but unless conditions improve that will also be postponed to 2021.

Warwick

Joan

Postby Joan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:59 am

Re the Easyjet flights from Gatwick - sorry, Tim; yes, I did misread August as July.

I guess people are waiting to see what happens before committing to August. And Easyjet will surely take the decision to cancel some of the flights to make things economical. My daughter's Easyjet flight - several days after ours - was cancelled (and re-booked) whilst ours is still (fingers crossed) going.

Joan

Return to “General Discussion & News”