Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.

chrissyg

Re: Direct flights from the UK to Greece from 15th July confirmed.

Postby chrissyg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:41 pm

The greeks have indeed been very welcoming and it is all scary at the moment with ALL countries that have a higher risk factor than Greece which is most of them. Afer just a few days here i have noticed that the greeks arent social distancing at all, unlike where i live in Britain, we give each other a wide berth and shops and even the streets have directions to walk in. No-one here is wearing a mask in shops and we are getting very odd looks when we go in Waiters are being friendly but careful and as i said before one person from each household is being tested. We havent brought it over but we will continue to be careful. We are helping the economy spring back and i dont feel guilty about coming here. The greeks are famous for their hospitality and i hope it all goes well for them.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:57 pm

And if nobody takes any flights this you may find that your airlines may go bust before next year!

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:05 am

chrissyg wrote:And if nobody takes any flights this you may find that your airlines may go bust before next year!

More airlines will go bust if there’s a resurgence of the virus around Europe - and flying to other countries is the best way of spreading the virus. There’s your dilemma: not flying could make airlines go bust and flying could make airlines go bust. This probably means some airlines will go bust whatever. I wouldn’t want to be anywhere near the tourism and hospitality business for a very long time.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 am

A paragraph from this Keep Talking Greece article;

On the island of Crete, a local has been tested positive. The 55-year-old has been most likely infected by a relative who recently returned from a travel to Russia.

I'm surprised people aren't taking world tours? Greece - Russia - India - Chile - Peru - Brazil - USA and back to Greece would be a pretty good itinerary?

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:20 pm

The hospitality and tourism industry is so huge and so
important especially in the greek islands and the UK. If we cut that out even for a year it will be devastating. Of course it is dangerous and i would urge everone to be careful and obey the rules,but i think we have to try, we dont want this virus to destroy everything from livelihoods to mental well-being. We need a society to come back to.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 pm

Speaking to someone in the hotel business yesterday, they said this year and next year should be forgotten. I agree, with the virus to possibly get worse, especially in winter. The last thing we want to do is encourage the virus to spread, and to alter. A lot of countries are now paying the price for not acting sensibly and correctly. Lives need to come before economy, or there shall never be an economy.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:48 pm

You may survive without husiness but there are a lot that wont and havent already in the uk. Lives matter more than money of course, but there are a lot of lives and livelihoods that will go if we stop everything.
The economy and society is more than just money, i know people who have lost their jobs now because of closed hospitality businesses and cannot now afford their rent and have got kids to feed. There are worse situations than that I am sure and i am thinking of long term problems not whether things like share prices and few bankcrupt big business men.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:52 pm

It is a balance.....economy v health. As ‘shine on’ wrote, without people there will not be an economy.

Sadly due to the pandemic people will lose their jobs. In the U.K. Boris Johnson wants everyone to go out shopping/eating/drinking to spend to help the economy. His latest plan is to get everyone back to work....and is telling them it is safe to use public transport to do so. He believes this will ‘save’ city centre businesses, so that coffee shops and restaurants will survive.....and even that people will then buy new clothes to wear to the office. In the next breath he is telling the public that the virus is likely to come back in the winter, and that they should only go back to work now if their workplace is safe, and after consultations between bosses and workers!

The mixed messaging does nothing to give people confidence to go out and spend money. Neither does it encourage people to go out to work if they can do so from home. At least up until now Greece has been clear in its advice, but I wonder what the future brings? I applaud the instant instructions on wearing face masks in supermarkets, (where as in the U.K. people are being given almost two weeks to get used to wearing them!), but I question the logic in Greece that they are not being worn in all shops? Is this because tourists do not shop much in supermarkets, but they will be browsing in gift shops etc? - Is it a way of helping tourism as much as possible? Tourists are not going to want to walk around with masks on all the time. I cannot see any other reason to restrict the wearing of them just to supermarkets otherwise.

Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 pm

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Glad to hear it. So much for the press saying there were hundreds of cases brought in a couple of days ago,( Press again Warwick)

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:04 pm

chrissyg.

These figures are from EODY yesterday!

According to the latest weekly report of the National Health Organization EODY, 509 new cases have been recorded in the period July 1-15, 2020. Among them are 278 “imported” cases and 229 local. Majority of local cases are in Macedonia and Thrace (148). The remaining new cases are spread in several regions with Attica to top the least with 59 new cases.

https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... s-july-17/

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:18 pm

I read a report from a greek site maybe quoted on here that said so many cases from planes in the last couple of weeks had caused the government to think about reclosing its borders.The government then announced that this was nonsense. I then read that since the uk flights came in on 15th and 16th there were 25 more cases per day.
. According to that last quote from officials the brits were all negative. Which do you believe?

P&B

Postby P&B » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:30 pm

Does anyone know if it is taking longer to process arriving passengers through passport control and/or other check points?

If an arriving passenger is selected for Covid-19 testing, how long does the process take and is there a queue?

It's Chania airport I am specifically interested in.

Thanks in advance.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Chrissyg, the press are reporting the figures that EODY, the official Greek health body are telling them. As Ros21m pointed out, EODY reported that 509 new cases were recorded between 1 to 15 July and 278 were imported by travellers. These are the "hundreds" that you saw reported in the press. They are not figures made up by the press. They are official figures. Clearly they are not from the UK since direct UK flights only got going on 15 July.

It is not nonsense that the government is keeping the closure of borders under review. The government has openly stated that if the number of new daily cases rises above 50 they will need to consider reversing the opening up to tourist measures. Note the word "consider". So far they have only shut down specific border crossings where the incidence of imported cases was high. It is pretty clear if testing of UK arrivals reveals very low numbers of infections then UK flights will still come but if testing reveals large numbers they will stop. The same is true for any other country. It is common sense.

The following new cases were reported since UK arrivals started:

15 July 27 cases
    16 July 29 cases
    17 July 25 cases

I do not know of any report that says these cases are due to UK flights. If you believe you read that then please link your source. They are simply the number recorded on those days, some from travellers and some by internal infections. The number of new cases per day has steadily increased since 1 July and has even been as high as 60 on a single day. I think the steady rise is more worrying than the odd single day spike. Nobody is attributing this to the UK.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”