Passport renewal

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ros21m
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm
Location: Kerasia.

Passport renewal

Postby ros21m » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:26 pm

A word of warning, for anyone wanting/needing to renew their British Passport! Mine expires this month, when I checked a couple of months ago, they were being issued within 2-3 weeks, but because of lockdown I couldn't get photos done. Just went to renew online today & it says " It is taking longer than usual to process applications because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Do not apply unless you’re travelling before September 2020 or you need a passport urgently for compassionate reasons".! Needless to say, I have applied, we have to have a passport here for ID. Ok, the Greek police will accept a photocopy, with the email acknowledgement of renewal, so not a huge problem, but.......
https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport

Kilkis
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Why do they make such meaningless statements? What does "It is taking longer than usual to process applications..." mean. How long does it normally take? How long is it taking now? A week, a month, a year, a decade? They must know the information? Surely they collect statistics in order to assess their performance?

The Greek administration is pretty useless but at least they know how useless they are. When I applied for my renewed driving licence in February they told me it would take 3 months. Taking 3 months to issue a driving licence is absolutely ludicrous but at least they tell you. In the end it took almost 5 months but Greece was in lockdown for 2 months so that makes sense as well.

Warwick

ros21m
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm
Location: Kerasia.

Re: Passport renewal

Postby ros21m » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 am

Warwick, you were lucky. I applied in January 2019, to exchange my driving license. I did it via KEP & was told it would take at least 5-6 months, as there was a backlog of applications. They were right, it took 6 months. I eventually collected it from the licensing office in Heraklion, they apologised, that it had taken so long, the hold up, apparently, was due to DVLA taking several months to confirm the validity of my UK license. It was around the time that all us Brits, all over the EU, were being advised to exchange our UK licenses for those of the country we were now resident in.

Kamisiana
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:06 pm

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kamisiana » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 am

Thought it was pretty common knowledge you should keep at least 6 months on your passport, not less than 3 weeks!!
its been well advertised for the last 4 years
https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/07/renew-pa ... t-8843857/

I am a bit envious you will get a blue one.

Kilkis
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:25 am

In the past, Kamisiana, you could apply up to 6 months in advance and the new passport would have an expiry date 10 years from the old expiry date. That has now stopped, because of international changes in how passport expiry dated are treated. If you apply 6 months in advance now you effectively lose 6 months validity. The only reason to apply early is if you intend to travel. The rules are applied at immigration. If you don't intend to travel there is no need to apply early. I have never heard of the police causing an issue because you didn't have a valid passport with you as long as you have some form of ID. I was told off quite sternly once because I had no form of ID with me.

I think up to the end of this year EU countries will recognise UK passports with at least 3 months validity on the date of entry. Starting in 2021 UK passports will only be recognised if they have 6 months validity. I think at present the 3 months is judged from the expiry date quoted on the passport but from next year I think it will start to be 6 months back from 10 years after the issue date. Outside the EU I think it is already 6 months back from 10 years after the issue date

Warwick

GlennB
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Arkadia, Peloponnese

Re: Passport renewal

Postby GlennB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:01 am

Kilkis wrote:Why do they make such meaningless statements? What does "It is taking longer than usual to process applications..." mean. How long does it normally take? How long is it taking now? A week, a month, a year, a decade? They must know the information? Surely they collect statistics in order to assess their performance?

The Greek administration is pretty useless but at least they know how useless they are. When I applied for my renewed driving licence in February they told me it would take 3 months. Taking 3 months to issue a driving licence is absolutely ludicrous but at least they tell you. In the end it took almost 5 months but Greece was in lockdown for 2 months so that makes sense as well.

Warwick


Hmmm. I switched to a Greek licence some time back when we learned that we should have done that before. As I wasn't far short of 70, it expires in late October this year. Any idea of when you can start the renewal process? Presumably if I start close to the renewal date then I can continue driving (with a photocopy handy) and just tell the cops/whoever "It's with KEP for renewal"? I'm beginning to wish I'd just kept my old UK licence the way most people do :(

ros21m
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 pm
Location: Kerasia.

Re: Passport renewal

Postby ros21m » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:43 am

I usually visit my parents in the UK, March/April time & had intended to renew on the same day service, whilst there. However Covid put paid to that & then the lockdown here.

bobscott
Posts: 2795
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Passport renewal

Postby bobscott » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:33 pm

GlennB wrote:
Kilkis wrote:Why do they make such meaningless statements? What does "It is taking longer than usual to process applications..." mean. How long does it normally take? How long is it taking now? A week, a month, a year, a decade? They must know the information? Surely they collect statistics in order to assess their performance?

The Greek administration is pretty useless but at least they know how useless they are. When I applied for my renewed driving licence in February they told me it would take 3 months. Taking 3 months to issue a driving licence is absolutely ludicrous but at least they tell you. In the end it took almost 5 months but Greece was in lockdown for 2 months so that makes sense as well.

Warwick


Hmmm. I switched to a Greek licence some time back when we learned that we should have done that before. As I wasn't far short of 70, it expires in late October this year. Any idea of when you can start the renewal process? Presumably if I start close to the renewal date then I can continue driving (with a photocopy handy) and just tell the cops/whoever "It's with KEP for renewal"? I'm beginning to wish I'd just kept my old UK licence the way most people do :(


It doesn't work quite like that GlennB. If you take your 'soon to expire' licence to KEP or to the Licensing office, you will be given a piece of paper to say that your licence has been submitted for renewal. I think the date that piece of paper expires is the date your licence expires. Last year we had problems to do with the driving test imposed on people over 74 (now discontinued) and for a while the licensing office issued 'updates'. Then they stopped, before our tests were scheduled. The result of that was that we were banned from driving until we had passed the test! Moral of that story now is 'Don't hang about; submit your renewal request early!' A photocopy of an expired licence is of little use. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:25 pm

bobscott wrote:...It doesn't work quite like that GlennB. If you take your 'soon to expire' licence to KEP or to the Licensing office, you will be given a piece of paper to say that your licence has been submitted for renewal. I think the date that piece of paper expires is the date your licence expires...


As far as renewal of an existing Greek driving licence is concerned, if you do it through KEP you can renew as close to the expiry date of the old licence as you want. The paper issued by KEP, proving that you have applied for a new licence and that you have submitted everything necessary, can be used in place of a driving licence until the new one comes however long that is. There is an issue date on the KEP paper but no expiry date nor does it state when the old licence expired.

It is important to make the application before the old licence expires. If you are over 65 you do need to get a certificate from a Pathologos and from an Ophthalmologist so make sure you leave enough time to get those.

Mine expired in February. I applied very close to the expiry date. I have been driving on the KEP document from then until I collected the new one on Friday. I think your problem might have been due to the introduction and then removal of the compulsory basic practical test for over 74, Bob.

Warwick

GlennB
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Arkadia, Peloponnese

Re: Passport renewal

Postby GlennB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Kilkis wrote:
Mine expired in February. I applied very close to the expiry date. I have been driving on the KEP document from then until I collected the new one on Friday. I think your problem might have been due to the introduction and then removal of the compulsory basic practical test for over 74, Bob.

Warwick


I foresee an interesting circumstance in our case. We're in the middle of renewing our licences and driving on bits of paper written in Greek when our house sale completes, we sort out the complexities of transporting our parrot back to the UK etc etc etc and roll up in Blighty. Copper asks to see my licence and I inform him that this here Greek document allows me to continue driving until the new licence has been issued. "Quite when we'll receive that licence is hard to tell, officer"

"Indeed sir? Pull the other one!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tim
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:41 pm
Location: Near Sitia
Contact:

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Tim » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:41 pm

Perhaps it would sound better coming from the parrot? Just a thought ...

Tim

Kilkis
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kilkis » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 pm

Get it translated into English and get a Notary to certify that it proves that you have submitted everything necessary to renew your licence and that it is valid for you to drive until the new licence is issued. Carry the original and the Notarised translation with you. I cannot guarantee it will work but it is better than simply saying "Honest guv".

Warwick

GlennB
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: Arkadia, Peloponnese

Re: Passport renewal

Postby GlennB » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:08 pm

Tim wrote:Perhaps it would sound better coming from the parrot? Just a thought ...

Tim


"Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"

"That'll do nicely sir!!"

bobscott
Posts: 2795
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Kokkino Horio

Re: Passport renewal

Postby bobscott » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:46 am

Kilkis wrote:As far as renewal of an existing Greek driving licence is concerned, if you do it through KEP you can renew as close to the expiry date of the old licence as you want. The paper issued by KEP, proving that you have applied for a new licence and that you have submitted everything necessary, can be used in place of a driving licence until the new one comes however long that is. There is an issue date on the KEP paper but no expiry date nor does it state when the old licence expired.


Warwick


Thanks for that Warwick. You are certainly right about the impact of the driving test. It seems a long time since we simply renewed our licences and I had forgotten that the KEP paper has no 'end date' on it. BTW, once you get to 80 your licence is renewable every TWO years, and has to include a paper from a psychologist as well as the usual pathologos and ophthalmolos stuff! Mine is due next June - watch this space!! Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis
Posts: 12192
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Near Chania

Re: Passport renewal

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:02 am

Also, I was told by KEP, Bob, that you can no longer renew it through them once you reach 80. You have to do it in person at the licence centre. I would guess that KEP can still print off the e-paravola you need but I don't know that for sure. Worth checking before you get too close to the date so you know what you are doing.

I've not done it myself but I think the driving centre will issue you exactly the same paper that KEP does so you can carry on driving after you have applied.

Warwick


Return to “General Discussion & News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests