Bank security codes

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
GlennB

Bank security codes

Postby GlennB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:33 pm

A Brit expat is in a pickle with her Piraeus bank internet account, she has posted on Facebook. She had to return to the UK with a long-term sick husband but now cannot pay their Greek bills online. She was using a security code generator, but her bank introduced an extra level of security where they send a code to her Greek mobile. She obviously can't receive them as she is now in the UK. She could change the phone number via her online account but it will require ... wait for it ... a security code sent to her phone :shock: Looks like she'll have to visit a branch to make this change.

We're with NBG and have their little blue code machine, but could end up back in the UK with a stack of money in the NBG that needs transferring. Has there been any suggestion that NBG might adopt this system?

Yeah, I admit I'm as neurotic as hell but this house sale palaver has put me on the alert for any possible hassle.

Jeffstclair

Re: Bank security codes

Postby Jeffstclair » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Phone the bank and explain ...

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:52 pm

This seems odd to me, Glenn, as I am in the UK at the moment and I did receive a bank security code on my Greek mobile when I had to pay my car insurance. I'm with Eurobank not Piraeus, but I think the security code generation is the same set up. Is she certain that her Greek mobile will not receive generated codes, I wonder if she has actually tried making a payment with the mobile switched on ?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:00 pm

Two-factor authentication, or 2FA, is mandatory for all bank transactions BUT how the bank decides to implement it is up to them. Usually your log on password counts as the first factor. Some then use a One Time Pin, OTP, that is sent to your mobile by SMS, some use a code generating machine, like your NBG one, and some display an OTP on the screen and then ring your landline and you have to say/key in the code. Alpha used to use a code generator but switched to an SMS OTP method so there is no guarantee that your bank will carry on using the same method. I wasn't aware that banks were using both a code generator and an OTP?

I don't see why the person posting on Facebook can't receive the SMS on her Greek mobile even if she is back in the UK? I receive SMS OTPs from my UK banks on my UK mobile when I am in Greece. It should work the other way round. If she has no credit couldn't someone buy her a minimum cost top up voucher and email her the code to top up her credit? EU roaming rules still apply, at least to the end of the year, so receiving the SMS messages won't actually cost anything but I think you need some credit.

Warwick

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:07 pm

Mixos wrote:This seems odd to me, Glenn, as I am in the UK at the moment and I did receive a bank security code on my Greek mobile when I had to pay my car insurance. I'm with Eurobank not Piraeus, but I think the security code generation is the same set up. Is she certain that her Greek mobile will not receive generated codes, I wonder if she has actually tried making a payment with the mobile switched on ?

It seems she did, but the new system was introduced after she left. Maybe the contact number just needs 0030 or 0044 (? the latter I think*) at the front? Not so obvious if you enter the number not expecting to need it when out of Greece. I checked mine and it's the plain 6..... number.

* I have 2 numbers for my wife's Greek mobile, one with a +44 for when I need to contact her on our jaunts to the UK

GlennB

Postby GlennB » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Kilkis wrote: I receive SMS OTPs from my UK banks on my UK mobile when I am in Greece. It should work the other way round.

What style number do you have registered for your UK mobile with your UK bank? Could you move between countries and have the OTPs work without amending that number with a country code?

This lady had the vanilla Greek mobile number with her bank and the system changed to OTP after they'd left for her husband to get treatment for cancer in the UK.

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 pm

As it happens, I've just topped up my Vodafone Greece credit online from the UK. I did it with the Greek mobile switched on, so the One Time Password (actually six numbers) came immediately by text from Eurobank and it all went without a hitch as usual. The bank only has my 10-digit Greek mobile number to send a text to, so it obviously works wherever you are -- in UK or Greece -- without a country code prefix, as Warwick says. If your friend's bank has her 10-digit Greek mobile number and is still on a network in credit, I would have thought the system should work even if the double authentication was introduced after she left.

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:56 pm

Piraeus Bank use OTP to the mobile no. registered to your account (I used my UK mobile no.). I struggled with this extra level of verification and had to add 0044 after which it worked perfectly.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:38 pm

There seems to be a massive amount of confusion here.

Firstly country codes are about where the phone belongs, i.e. which country's network does it have an account with. They are nothing to do with where the phone is physically. If you take a Greek phone with an account on a Greek network to the UK you don't change the country code.

Secondly if you are phoning or sending an SMS from one phone with an account on a Greek network to another phone with an account on a Greek network it doesn't matter whether you include the country code or not. You only need to include the country code if you are phoning or sending an SMS from a phone with an account in one country to a phone with an account in another country.

Lets say you have a Greek mobile with number 6912 345678. You could tell your bank that your number is 6912 345678 or +30 6912 345678. An SMS from the bank would reach your phone whichever number you gave them. It would also reach your phone if you were in the UK whichever number you gave them.

If instead you have a UK mobile with number 0712 345678 You would have to tell the bank the number +44 712 345678. If you told them the number without the country code you would not receive the SMS whether you were in Greece or in the UK. If you told them the number with the country code then the SMS would reach you whether you were in Greece or the UK.

There is only one possible snag and that is that some banks cannot accept phone numbers from another country. I can't tell you which do and which don't because I always give a Greek mobile number to any bank in Greece and a UK mobile number to any bank in the UK.

Warwick

PS It is normal to put + in front of the country code rather than 00. Before you dial the country code you first have to connect to an international service and not all countries use 00 to do that. Greece and the UK both do but not all countries. The + is a generic notation to say wherever you are dial the international code first.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:49 am

[quote="Kilkis"
There is only one possible snag and that is that some banks cannot accept phone numbers from another country. I can't tell you which do and which don't because I always give a Greek mobile number to any bank in Greece and a UK mobile number to any bank in the UK.

Warwick

[/quote]

In the early, bad old days Santander (it may even have been Alliance and Leicester still) said they could not accept an overseas mobile number as a contact. Subsequently that was changed and I get SMS messages and OTP codes from them in the UK on my one and only Greek mobile (the old-fashioned sort!). This mainly happens when I am on-line and paying with my UK Debit card. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:48 pm

GlennB wrote:A Brit expat is in a pickle with her Piraeus bank internet account, she has posted on Facebook. She had to return to the UK with a long-term sick husband but now cannot pay their Greek bills online. She was using a security code generator, but her bank introduced an extra level of security where they send a code to her Greek mobile. She obviously can't receive them as she is now in the UK. She could change the phone number via her online account but it will require ... wait for it ... a security code sent to her phone :shock: Looks like she'll have to visit a branch to make this change.

We're with NBG and have their little blue code machine, but could end up back in the UK with a stack of money in the NBG that needs transferring. Has there been any suggestion that NBG might adopt this system?

Yeah, I admit I'm as neurotic as hell but this house sale palaver has put me on the alert for any possible hassle.

Yes, NBG are withdrawing the code generator widget and implementing OTP. I think it is by the end of this month. I have now updated to OTP via SMS on their online banking system. Seems to work ok.

Forsto

Postby Forsto » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:01 pm

Taken from their website Existing i-bank Internet Banking users who have an active i-code device, can use both ways of authentication to complete their transactions. Please where does it say I-code gadget to be withdrawn at the end of the month?

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Forsto wrote:Taken from their website Existing i-bank Internet Banking users who have an active i-code device, can use both ways of authentication to complete their transactions. Please where does it say I-code gadget to be withdrawn at the end of the month?

Can't find reference to it now, I think it came as a flash screen to prompt setting up OTP.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:54 pm

Alpha Bank used to use a OTP generator that looked identical to the NBG one, apart from the logo. I am pretty sure they switched to using SMS delivered OTPs sometime last year. I can't honestly remember the last time I used my generator. Perhaps NBG are now catching up?

Now Alpha Bank use Viber for preference, or SMS if you don't have a Viber account, to deliver the OTP. I presume they prefer Viber because sending an SMS through the telecom network must cost them something, while I think Viber is free, and Viber uses end-to-end encryption so it should be more secure. I haven't used it but I might give it a try.

Warwick

Philb

Postby Philb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:15 pm

Kilkis wrote:Alpha Bank used to use a OTP generator that looked identical to the NBG one, apart from the logo. I am pretty sure they switched to using SMS delivered OTPs sometime last year. I can't honestly remember the last time I used my generator. Perhaps NBG are now catching up?

Now Alpha Bank use Viber for preference, or SMS if you don't have a Viber account, to deliver the OTP. I presume they prefer Viber because sending an SMS through the telecom network must cost them something, while I think Viber is free, and Viber uses end-to-end encryption so it should be more secure. I haven't used it but I might give it a try.

Warwick

NBG are pushing Viber too.

Return to “General Discussion & News”