Mandatory use of masks from tomorrow, Saturday 18th July

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
ros21m

Mandatory use of masks from tomorrow, Saturday 18th July

Postby ros21m » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:04 pm

bobscott

Re: Mandatory use of masks from tomorrow, Saturday 18th July

Postby bobscott » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:46 am

Take note, UK. That's the way to do it - not in 10 days' time! :D
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:47 am

I am now losing track of the logic. Why only make it mandatory in supermarkets? Why not all retail stores? When the reopening of retail stores was being discussed it was said that wearing of masks would be mandatory for both staff and customers. When the EODY guidelines were issued it was only recommended for both in retail shops so why not make it mandatory for these shops as well?

As a general principle wearing of masks should be mandatory in all indoor spaces unless it is not practicable. If it is not practicable, e.g. when eating and drinking, then other mitigating measures should be mandatory.

Warwick

PS All leaders seem to suffer from the "Do as I say not as I do" syndrome, Bob. Social distancing? Masks?

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:08 pm

Yes, Boris does it again. We should do this because we need to we didnt before but we do now.. O yes, but.in 10 days time???? Apparently to give everyone time to buy a mask ! What a joke.

Drapanias David

Postby Drapanias David » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:46 pm

bobscott wrote:Take note, UK. That's the way to do it - not in 10 days' time! :D

Been the norm in Scotland since 10 July.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:09 am

Drapanias David wrote:
bobscott wrote:Take note, UK. That's the way to do it - not in 10 days' time! :D

Been the norm in Scotland since 10 July.

Sorry, should have said ENGLAND. Bob.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:31 pm

You have to have the utmost respect the church :lol:
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... es-greece/
And the Greek government is "mulling" more use of face mask, is that not like BoJo setting a date for compulsory wearing of face masks :roll:
https://www.ekathimerini.com/255158/art ... sed-spaces

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:00 pm

Well, I guess every 'faith' has its nutters! The Orthodox just appears to have a few more than some - but then again that could just be a fake illusion!!! About on a par with accusing HUAWEI 5G technology for spreading the virus.

In the RC cathedral in Chania, face masks are 'recommended'. No big deal if they become mandatory. The congregation appears to be able to sing with a mask on! Bob.

Marooned

Postby Marooned » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:10 pm

There is a landscaper who occasionally comes by my place to clean things up. We had a nice chat about the Coronavirus, and he was deep into conspiracy theories.

I couldn't talk him out of anything, but the narratives were like this:

- Something about population control and manufacturing viruses
- mainstream media keeping Cov19 in the news cycle to brainwash people and make them afraid
- people die from illness all of the time, why focus so much on one virus? (suggesting mass media manipulation)
- many people just think they have something, and but are actually healthy (widespread psychosomatic illness due to the media?)
- it hasn't affected anyone that I know, why is it always in the news?

He told me that he would avoid clients who had just arrived on the island, for about ten days. To protect his family. I think he was also going to wear a mask according to the guidelines, although he scoffed at the idea of it.

Hey, if a conspiracy theorist will follow the guidelines, who cares? I ended the conversation because I was sure that I couldn't convince him of anything, and that he thought I was a weak minded fool for following the MSM brainwashing I've been subjected to.

There's a parallel to something that happened in various US states, when many people did not see any coronavirus, and it hadn't affected anyone that they knew. Now those states are in a sorry state (not a pun). For many people, it's a hoax until it hits close to home!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:17 pm

All the staff in my local supermarket have gone back to wearing masks but virtually none of their customers do. I asked the owner why they didn't follow the rules and she succinctly replied, "Because they're all ar$&holes".

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:45 pm

Kilkis wrote:All the staff in my local supermarket have gone back to wearing masks but virtually none of their customers do. I asked the owner why they didn't follow the rules and she succinctly replied, "Because they're all ar$&holes".

Warwick

Echo that Warwick! Bob.

shine on

Postby shine on » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:25 am

Yesterday in both Lidl and Slavenitis, all the Greek women wearing masks, no Greek men wearing masks. One Greek man stopped by security at Lidl for not wearing a mask, he just shrugged his shoulders and pushed his way in.
I would like to think that this whole virus thing is a conspiracy, but it’s this idea that is spreading the virus even more now.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:58 am

Marooned wrote:There is a landscaper who occasionally comes by my place to clean things up. We had a nice chat about the Coronavirus, and he was deep into conspiracy theories.

I couldn't talk him out of anything, but the narratives were like this:

- Something about population control and manufacturing viruses
- mainstream media keeping Cov19 in the news cycle to brainwash people and make them afraid
- people die from illness all of the time, why focus so much on one virus? (suggesting mass media manipulation)
- many people just think they have something, and but are actually healthy (widespread psychosomatic illness due to the media?)
- it hasn't affected anyone that I know, why is it always in the news?

He told me that he would avoid clients who had just arrived on the island, for about ten days. To protect his family. I think he was also going to wear a mask according to the guidelines, although he scoffed at the idea of it.

I guess he'll change his tune if he wakes up one morning with a dry, persistent cough ....

Tim

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Mandatory use of masks in most indoor places from tomorrow Wednesday 29th July'
https://www.keeptalkinggreece.com/2020/ ... k-july-29/

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:01 pm

What are the Greek government reporting?

In the Keep Talking Greece article, linked by Ros21m, it states that there are 429 active cases.

On the Greek Worldometer page the Active Cases graph shows 2,651 active cases.

That's one hell of a discrepancy?

Warwick

PS If people aren't wearing them in supermarkets, where they are already compulsory, why does the government think people are going to wear them elsewhere? These changes to the mask wearing rules only work if everybody follows them. If a small proportion of the population obey them they are useless.

Return to “General Discussion & News”