Vehicle Testing

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Tim

Vehicle Testing

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:39 am

It turns out that my annual emissions test and my bi-annual KTEO test fall on almost the same day next month. Do I still need to take the emissions test separately, or will it form part of the KTEO test?

Grateful for any input.

Tim

Kilkis

Re: Vehicle Testing

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am

It is part of the KTEO test. You don't get a separate certificate but the emissions readings are on the KTEO certificate, possibly on the back? The KTEO test is every 2 years and the emission test is every year so you take an emission test in the intermediate year. The emission test is due exactly one year after the KTEO test but people often take it a few days early, which is probably why the two are not due on the same day. It isn't a problem. Take it for the KTEO test when it is due even if it is a little after the emission test is due.

Warwick

PS I think, but I am not certain, that there is a few days leeway on the test date anyway, i.e. even if you take it a few days after the KTEO test is due there isn't a problem. I wouldn't bank on this but it might be worth asking.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks, Warwick. I hoped that would be the case.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:17 pm

As a general comment I think you are supposed to make an appointment for the full KTEO test but at the IKTEO I use near Mournies you don't need an appointment just for the emission test.

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:36 pm

From asking around, it seems that the IKTEO I intend to use near Kavousi for the KTEO, you just turn up. There's a choice of 3 testing stations more or less next to each other. (The one in the middle has been recommended by several people.)

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:49 pm

I never used to make an appointment but I think an appointment system was introduced during COVID. Perhaps they have abandoned it? I recently phoned to make an appointment for an emissions test and they told me that I needed an appointment for the full test but not for the emissions test.

Warwick

altohb

Postby altohb » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Tim wrote:From asking around, it seems that the IKTEO I intend to use near Kavousi for the KTEO, you just turn up. There's a choice of 3 testing stations more or less next to each other. (The one in the middle has been recommended by several people.)

Tim

Tim, if you intend to go to Patronakis (which I think is the one you are talking about) I'd suggest making an appointment. Iannis Karagiannakis, who does our servicing, normally makes the appt for us. Underneath the big EKO garage on the Sitia-Piskokefalo road.

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes, I know where you mean. Many thanks for that.

Tim

Mixos

Postby Mixos » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:10 pm

I confirm what altohb says, Tim, as I had to do the IKTEO and emissions test together last year. Definitely get Iannis to call and book Patronakis. They were quite busy last year and that was pre-Covid, so you don't want a wasted journey.

mouche

Postby mouche » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Kilkis wrote:PS I think, but I am not certain, that there is a few days leeway on the test date anyway, i.e. even if you take it a few days after the KTEO test is due there isn't a problem. I wouldn't bank on this but it might be worth asking.

I do not know if this is the case in Greece, but used to be the case in my native country but no longer! Not even a minute!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:59 pm

A friend was pushing his garage to get a repair done because he needed to take the vehicle for its KTEO test and the garage owner told him not to worry, he had got a week or possibly 10 days after the expiry to get the test done. That is why I reported the possibility but, because it was not my own direct experience, I stated that I wasn't sure. He did take the vehicle after the expiry date and there was no problem. I believe this is a general rule but I would still suggest asking at the IKTEO centre.

I think there was also an allowed delay when the centres were closed because of COVID but I am not sure if that is continuing now they are open.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”