Covid -links to sites with statistics

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kookla

Covid -links to sites with statistics

Postby Kookla » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:06 pm

A friend has emailed, wondering where I get up to date info. I remember that Warwick, Ros, Maud, Guy and others have posted links on here throughout the pandemic. I am having difficulty trawling through all of our posts to find them.
If you have solid info pertaining to Crete, could I ask that you post links here, to make it easier to look up. Tia.

Kilkis

Re: Covid -links to sites with statistics

Postby Kilkis » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Unfortunately the two web sites that were linked earlier no longer seem to be updating the area specific information. One hasn't updated anything since May and the other is more or less up-to-date with the total but hasn't changed the regions since May.

Crete Tip gives reports with some Crete specific information but doesn't necessarily update on a daily basis. It also doesn't specify where within Crete the cases are. For example yesterday it reported there are now 48 cases on Crete but I suspect that includes the original 20 that were all cleared, most recovered and one died, before lockdown started to be eased. If I am correct that means there are really 28 cases and some of them may already have recovered. No information where they are on the island. Even that is a bit of a shock. Altogether 20 cases through the main phase of the pandemic and an additional 28 since lockdown eased does not bode well.

I am told that there is a Greek specific App that you can put on a smart phone that provides daily updates on new cases but so far I have not managed to find it. I know somebody indirectly who has it but I am told that his wife put it on his phone for him and he has no idea how she did it. I found an App in the Google Play Store called Greek Apps that claims to be "The official app of GreekApps.info, containing all the Greek Android Apps." so I installed that but I can't find any App relating to Coronavirus on it. I guess it might be unique to iPhone Apps? If anybody knows anything about this App I would be interested to know.

Warwick

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks Kookla for raising this and to Warwick for his reply. It would be so useful for us to have regular and updated reports wouldn’t it, if only to remind us all to keep vigilant.
Someday is now : )

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 pm

Thanks Warwick and Yin &Yang. I think Crete tip was the one I couldn’t remember. Have already been looking at worldometer, but it seems to have faltered of late.
Sometimes I have found Greek newspapers to offer links, but not often. My quest continues...

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 pm

You might want to look at my latest post on this thread, especially the paragraphs with the red highlights.

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:32 pm

This is from Cretalive today. Crete was shown as having 48 cases as of yesterday evening. https://www.cretalive.gr/kriti/exitirio ... o-koronoio

Official Greek Government site, updated daily. https://covid19.gov.gr/covid19-live-analytics/

Yin&Yang

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:40 am

Thanks Warwick and ros21m. The official Government site is something I hadn’t seen before and I have saved it to my desk top. Perhaps it is the closest we will get to the true figures?
Someday is now : )

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am

Thanks Warwick & Ros. I too hadn’t seen the government link. and have saved it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:45 am

EODY have now started reporting geographical distribution of cases in their reports. The report for 14 August, which will download as a pdf document, shows two geographical charts. Chart 3, shaded in green, shows the cumulative distribution of cases diagnosed in each region since the start of the pandemic. Chart 4, shaded in blue, shows the number of cases in each region diagnosed over the previous 10 days so gives a better picture of the typical level of infection today. Both graphs are not absolute numbers but are scaled per 100,000. To get an absolute number the multipliers are roughly Chania - 1.6, Rethymnon - 0.9, Heraklion - 3.2 and Lasithi - 0.8. It doesn't show individual figures but the colour coding denotes a band range. For Crete on 14 August they were:

Cumulative cases

Chania 10 - 49
    Rethymnon 5 - 9
    Heraklion 10 - 49
    Lasithi 0-4

Last 10 days

Chania 5 - 9
    Rethymnon 0 - 4
    Heraklion 5 - 9
    Lasithi 0 - 4

I think you should be able to find new reports as they are issued on this web page under "Ημερήσιες Εκθέσεις", i.e. "Daily Reports". You can see this page in English using Chrome with auto-translate selected but if you click on the EN button on the web page it goes to a completely different set of information for travellers. The pdf is in Greek but you can easily understand the charts and you can translate any bits by copying and pasting into Google Translate.

Warwick

PS The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, ECDC, are using a 14 day sample per 100,000 population to present data so they are not directly comparable with the EODY figures. Currently, according to ECDC, the cumulative 14 day figure for Greece per 100,000 is 18.5 while for the UK it is 17.3 so roughly the same except the UK figure is rising very slowly while Greece is rising faster than it did in the initial outbreak. France is currently 34 and the UK has just imposed mandatory quarantine on people entering from France so it looks like Greece is on a trajectory for travellers from here also to be subjected to quarantine in the UK in the near future.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:33 pm

Warwick thank you so much for taking the time to post this info. I shall now go and study it all!

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:27 pm

A word of warning......

Remember that it is more than just quarantine that can affect you when travelling. You also need to consider if your travel insurance is invalid if you are visiting a country against FO advice. - Very few policies cover such a situation. Certainly in the U.K, hardly any insurers will cover you if the FCO advises against visiting a country.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:55 pm

Which raises an interesting question, Maud. The FCO currently advises against non-essential travel to ALL countries and then publishes a list of exempted countries. Currently Greece is on the list of exempted countries. Suppose you are not worried about quarantine at all so you decide to go to Greece on holiday. If Greece becomes one of the quarantine countries you are happy to self isolate for 14 days when you get home. You are not contravening FCO advice. The case numbers in Greece worsen while you are there and the FCO takes Greece off the exempted list. You are now contravening FCO advice but you haven't done anything. You then fall ill. Will your travel insurance cover you for your healthcare? You acted in good faith and obeyed all the rules but the rules changed. Should you be penalised? Does it matter if you fall ill with COVID or something unrelated?

Warwick

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:35 pm

I think some of it depends on your insurance company Warwick.

We do an annual insurance policy and renewed ours in February. At the time Covid 19 was not an issue, so our policy covers us for everything, including Covid 19. If you took out your insurance once Covid 19 was declared a pandemic, most insurers won’t cover you for the virus.

Ours also covers us to travel anywhere that is on the FCO exemption list. - As you mentioned, the FCO advises against travel to most countries with a few exceptions, including Greece at the moment.

If you are already in an exempt country when it suddenly gets taken off the exemption list you are usually still covered by your travel insurance. (We are with ours). If you make the decision to travel there once it is off, then you are not covered.
Last edited by Maud on Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:32 am

It was certainly my understanding that, after COVID had become an issue, as a general rule people with annual policies who simply renewed them still had cover related to COVID but anybody who took out a new policy, perhaps because it was cheaper, were not covered. As with all things insurance related it depends on the terms of each individual policy, as you say. Based on the experience of companies with Business Interruption Insurance, however, I would recommend that people read the small print with great care and really think about what each individual word means or could be interpreted to mean.

Warwick

Joan

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:18 pm

We checked our annual insurance policy conditions (with LV) today. What we were told agreed with what Maud says above.

LV used France as an analogy. The FCO is now advising citizens not to travel to France. If people were already there when the advice not to travel came out they are covered, because they are not then travelling there. They confirmed that since we are already in Greece we will be covered if the same happens with Greece.

Of course our flights back to the UK in October may well be cancelled, but that's another issue!

Joan

Return to “General Discussion & News”