Traffic lights Megala Horafia

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kookla

Traffic lights Megala Horafia

Postby Kookla » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:20 am

https://www.apokoronaslife.gr/?p=75516

Scroll down to bottom of link to translate to English.

Traffic lights back on road where landslide was near junction of Megala Horafia on the highway.

Yin&Yang

Re: Traffic lights Megala Horafia

Postby Yin&Yang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:41 am

Thanks Kookla!
Someday is now : )

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:47 am

I have now read in Kriti24 that they are/have removed the roadworks and will resume after September (so I have heard from a local friend). Due to horrendous hold-ups with queues...

“In order to inform all citizens, but mainly of drivers and passengers who suffered for many hours due to the works carried out by the Ministry of Infrastructure, Transport and Networks (YPOMEDI) in BOAK for the final restoration at Megala Chorafia, the Deputy Regional Governor of Chania Address to immediately revoke the permit for traffic regulation and signage, in order to restore the smooth movement of vehicles in the area. for its completion, which will not cause serious problems in the circulation of BOAK, as was done today.“

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:15 am

Who could possibly have guessed that closing half the main highway in August would cause big delays? Total surprise.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:54 pm

As of 9.15 am this morning, there was absolutely no visible change from the last few months. Cones dividing the highway into two narrow lanes (no hold-ups), concrete barrier on the north side of the highway, and on the other side of that, workmen doing what workmen do! Same again at 11.30 am . Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:07 pm

Who could possibly have guessed that closing half the main highway in August would cause big delays?

They might have been using a faulty algorithm when attempting to predict the results?

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:52 pm

I know Warwick, I know...I was trying really hard to be objective!
As a Greek friend of mine often likes to quote ‘ logic is a good Greek word, but many Greeks are missing the logic chip’
Glad to hear you passed through without difficulty Bob.
Jean - surely algorithm is another Greek root word?
Ok , I’ll stop now, as I’m sounding like the lovely dad on My Big Fat Greek Wedding. :D

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:11 pm

No, "algorithm" does not have a Greek root. The idea of algorithms for solving problems dates back at least to the ancient Babylonians between 4,000 and 5,000 years ago and has existed in all civilisations since. The word "algorithm" itself is a latinised form of the surname of Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī who was a Persian polymath who did a lot of brilliant work in the fields of mathematics, astronomy and geography during the late eighth and first half of the ninth century AD. From the seventh to the thirteenth century AD most developments in learning took place in the Islamic Empire that ran from Spain along north Africa and as far as India.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:07 am

Kilkis wrote:No, "algorithm" does not have a Greek root. The idea of algorithms for solving problems dates back at least to the ancient Babylonians between 4,000 and 5,000 years ago and has existed in all civilisations since. The word "algorithm" itself is a latinised form of the surname of Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī who was a Persian polymath who did a lot of brilliant work in the fields of mathematics, astronomy and geography during the late eighth and first half of the ninth century AD. From the seventh to the thirteenth century AD most developments in learning took place in the Islamic Empire that ran from Spain along north Africa and as far as India.

Warwick

EEE bah gum. The stuff you learn on this site!

BTW my favourite saying is 'LOGIC is a Greek word, but not a national characteristic'.
Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am

Wow, Warwick, that’s fascinating! Yep Bob it is great to learn all this stuff and your expression sums it up perfectly! Yorkshire?

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:19 am

I think most people learn about what the ancient Greeks did in the field of science and mathematics, what the Roman empire did in the field of engineering and then what western Europeans did in all three from about the 15th century onwards. Very few people learn about what the Arab world did in the intermediate period.

There was an Islamic empire for several centuries that ran from Spain in the west along the whole coast of north Africa, including what we now call the middle east and extended as far as India. The general philosophy was that God created everything so it was mankind's duty to try to understand everything that existed. They tried to gather together all knowledge in the world into great centres of learning including copies of every book that existed, translated into Arabic, and scholars from all countries. It was warlike, in the sense that the empire was created by waging war, but it was also progressive. There was no pressure on non-Muslims to convert to Islam and scholars of all religions worked and lived happily together. Many in the west today regard Islamic culture as very regressive, with some justification, but really it is not intrinsic to Islam just to certain sects within Islam. Every religion in the world, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Taoism etc has within it extreme and regressive groups.

I am not an historian, so I know little about the history of any area or period, but as a scientist/engineer I do like to know about the science of all ages and everywhere in the world. Every new discovery in science is built on the foundations of every scientific discovery that went before and every new development in engineering is derived from that science.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”