Maximum passenger numbers in a private car

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Jean

Maximum passenger numbers in a private car

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:07 am

What are the current rules about the maximum numbers in a private car? A while back it was no more than 3 persons (if not from the same family). Has it changed?

Kilkis

Re: Maximum passenger numbers in a private car

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:25 am

As far as I know that rule still applies, i.e. driver and two passengers, although there were also some rules introduced about hire cars of different sizes:

Rental cars will be disinfected between uses by different clients. Additionally, the number of passengers allowed will be restricted: For cars with up to five seats, only the driver plus one passenger will be allowed in the vehicle. For those with 6-7 seats, the driver plus two passengers. For eight or nine-seat vehicles, the driver will be allowed to carry up to 3 passengers. These restrictions do not apply for families with children.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks! Pretty weird to have different rules for hire cars and normal cars. It makes no sense.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Agreed. Does anything make sense anymore?

Warwick

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:20 pm

I'm sitting outside my local taverna on the national road (supporting the local economy and for no other reason) and watching what little traffic there is, there's precious little evidence of any of those rules being observed.

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:36 pm

Also how do you interpret the rules. I have a friend who is currently driving round with his wife, daughter and grandson in his car. Genetically all the same family but socially the daughter and grandson live permanently in the UK and are recently arrived for a few weeks holiday in Crete. Does the exception for "more than 3 in a car if they are all the same family" apply in that case?

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:11 pm

Further question on that subject: say you are 4 in a car and only supposed to carry 3 in total. Fine is Euro 150 but does each of the passengers pay the fine (Euro 600) or only the driver for allowing one passenger too many?
I must stop and ask a cop this question I guess, preferably when not driving 4 to a car.

Joan

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:15 pm

This is all very complicated!

I just called our car hire company for clarification but did not get a satisfactory answer.

We are hiring a Renault Megane for several weeks. At various times we will want to drive our adult children when they visit (one of them at a time, as it happens). That would make one driver (my husband or myself) and two passengers (one of us and one of our offspring).

Is that permitted?

In practice, if it is, how do I prove that my adult daughter is my daughter? Does she need to carry her birth certificate? Does it matter that she is not my husband's daughter?

Answers on a postcard please!

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:50 pm

I've got a feeling that the sentence: "These restrictions do not apply for families with children." is intended to mean "young children", i.e. not adults. Clearly if a husband, wife and 1/2/3 children, all under 17, came on holiday then they would all use the same hire car. This is just my best guess. If the hire car company can't tell you then I don't know who can except, possibly, the police. I say "possibly" since a friend once asked 3 traffic policeman who were stood talking together, what the general speed restriction was on the New National Road, i.e. in the absence of specific speed signs. He got 3 different answers.

Warwick

PS Is it just me or is it beginning to feel like "The next episode of Soap" for those old enough to remember?

Joan

Postby Joan » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:35 pm

Thanks, Warwick. I share this feeling, but I don't want it to cost us multiples of 150 euros through ignorance.

An earlier link in this thread refers to adult children...

Joan

George

Postby George » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:55 pm

I have a car hired for October and contacted the hire company concerning numbers as there will be four of us in the car and was told that this is perfectly legal as we are family members. Somehow, this doesn't fill me with confidence.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Please read Hairybloke's link!

Greece increases number of passengers on private & commercial vehicles
June 29, 2020 CORONAVIRUS,

With a joint ministerial decision Greece is lifting some coronavirus restrictions concerning passengers on private and commercial vehicles like taxis. At the same time, it maintains the mandatory use of mask in commercial cars, threatening violators with a 150-euro fine.

According to the new decision number of passengers on private cars up to 7 seats increases to 3 in addition to the driver.

Private cars with up to 8 or 9 seats are allowed to carry 5 passengers plus the driver.

George

Postby George » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:50 pm

The last line on HairyBlokes link is:

The new rules are reportedly valid until July 12, 2020, when the protection measures framework will be re-evaluated.

Return to “General Discussion & News”