Is driving with flip flops legal?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.

Tim

Re: Is driving with flip flops legal?

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:44 am

Stavros wrote:https://insurance-greece.com/driving-flip-flops-legal/

A lot of people don't realise that this type of footwear was named after its French inventor. A Monsieur Philippe Phlopp.

Tim

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:03 am

I think the population is divided ..those that can walk in flip flops and those who can't ...as for driving with them I don't know as I've never owned a pair ...How ever as an ex motor bike rider ...I cringe when a 1,000cc bike fraaaapppppps (spelling?) past me and the rider is in shorts and tee shirt and flip flops ....

Stavros

Postby Stavros » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 am

Tim wrote:
Stavros wrote:https://insurance-greece.com/driving-flip-flops-legal/

A lot of people don't realise that this type of footwear was named after its French inventor. A Monsieur Philippe Phlopp.

Tim

Good info Tim, thank you!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Jeffstclair wrote:...I cringe when a 1,000cc bike fraaaapppppps (spelling?) past me and the rider is in shorts and tee shirt and flip flops ....

I've never ridden a 1,000 cc bike or worn flip-flops but I have ridden all over Crete in shorts, T-shirt and trainers with no crash helmet. Mostly on 250 cc bikes. Anything less tends to cough, splutter and mutter, "You must be joking". I do now wear a crash helmet at all times but I still ride round in slacks, a short sleeved shirt and slip on shoes. On the plus side I rarely go over 120 kph so not exactly fraaaapppppping

Living is dangerous.

Warwick

Jean

Postby Jean » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:39 pm

As far as I know you are not allowed to drive in flip flops in France because they could get in the way of your pedals. Barefoot is legal.

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:21 pm

Jean wrote:not allowed to drive in flip flops in France

M. Phlopp would surely turn in his grave if he was aware of this. Let's hope he never found out. Funnily enough, his untimely demise was entirely due to him losing control of his automobile one hot sunny day.

Tim

YoMo2

Postby YoMo2 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:34 am

Kilkis wrote:...... On the plus side I rarely go over 120 kph so not exactly fraaaapppppping...........

:) :)

Andrew

George

Postby George » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm

My car hire people have told me that it is illegal to drive in Greece wearing flip flops, and if stopped by police you can be fined. They also said it is best to ignore the amount of locals who drive wearing flip flops. Do as we say, not as we do springs to mind.

Guy M

Postby Guy M » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:00 pm

1. If it isn’t illegal it should be.

2. Why would anyone do something so stupid?

3. Best car safety ad I ever saw. In Uganda, an ad warning people not to drink and drive “because if you throw the empty beer bottle on the floor when driving it might get stuck under the brake pedal preventing you from stopping the car in an emergency”.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:15 pm

George wrote:... They also said it is best to ignore the amount of locals who drive wearing flip flops. Do as we say, not as we do springs to mind.

It's a bit simpler than that. Every local will know somebody who can make the fine go away - you don't.

Warwick

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:58 am

The generic application, understanding of law, is based upon driving with due care. You are responsible if by wearing Flip=Flops you cause an accident by virtue the Flip-Flops are not under your control, as a reasonable person would deduce.

Return to “General Discussion & News”