Flying Crete - UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Guy M

Flying Crete - UK

Postby Guy M » Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:57 pm

We flew Chania to Bristol today. Some big Covid-19 differences compared with flying the other way.

No check at Chania that Passenger Location form had been completed - couldn’t board at Bristol without showing a PLF with the Unique code on it. As a result, people were filling in online forms on arrival in Bristol and the queue was v slow-moving to her through immigration.

No testing at all on arrival in Bristol; PLF wasn’t looked at (though presumably the data is on a computer somewhere so we can be contacted if anyone on the flight has the virus).

Now back on Plague Island so have decided on serious social distancing.

Eleni13

Re: Flying Crete - UK

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:44 am

You might find that “plague island” is not as bad as you believe. Just avoid obvious areas like crowded clubs, beaches. Just like Greece in fact.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:50 pm

The figure of cases per 100, 000 has gone higher in Greece than in the UK by 5 points,but of course Crete is probably safer than the mainland as is some parts of the Uk to others. Nowhere is really 'safe' and its time we stopped this obsession with country stats comparisons. This is a worldwide crisis and we have all got to be careful wherever we are and wherever we travel.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:07 pm

chrissyg wrote:...wherever we travel.

...or better still, don't.

Warwick

Jeffstclair

Postby Jeffstclair » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:20 pm

Yep, I agree Warwick... I ain't going no where for a bit ....

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:30 pm

Instinct says stay at home but if we dont go anyway the airlines are screwed, tourism and businesses are screwed, and there will be no employment and society will collapse.We would not get any food if we didnt go anywhere and there was no transport. Im not suggesting we all party but we have to start life up again or there will be no life to return to. You surely cant think we can all stay at home until next year when the vaccine might save us.

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:50 pm

Totally agree, Warwick,
I don't plan on travelling anywhere, off of Crete, this year. I'm also not expecting any visitors, family or friends to come.

In a normal year, I would have had a trip to the UK somewhere between February & early April, I would have expected my parents to have come September/October & also some other friends at some point. None of that has, or will be happening this year. I would normally have taken several mini breaks, 2-3 nights each within Crete, during the summer, but not this year.

I still go the beach, have the odd meal out, meet up with friends, who live here.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:04 pm

chrissyg wrote:...You surely cant think we can all stay at home until next year when the vaccine might save us.

What everybody else does is up to them but apart from going out to get food and drink I can stay at home pretty much indefinitely if I feel the need to do so. My local supermarket would even deliver my food and drink if I asked them to but I prefer to get it myself.

It was very important to me to go to France with my family in August but I didn't think it was sensible to do so, so we postponed the holiday until next year. Having not seen them in August it is very important to me to go to the UK to see my family in October but at the moment that doesn't look very sensible either so I probably won't. If I postpone to next spring it will mean I will not have seen them, other than on Skype, for 18 months. If spring still doesn't look good I will postpone to next August and if that still looks dodgy I will postpone to next October. I would rather not see my family for ten years than risk taking COVID-19 to them or bringing it back to my friends in Crete.

It is clear through the whole pandemic that there are people who want to do things so they do them, even though it isn't very sensible. There are others who put more weight on the possible consequences and don't do the things they want to do. I fit in the latter category. I have never found it particularly hard to forsake things I want to do if there are compelling reasons not to do them, other than drink gin and tonic, obviously, but that isn't very high risk.

Currently I still have the odd meal out but I am pretty careful choosing where I go. I also meet up with some friends who are taking a similar view to me so are probably pretty safe. No trips anywhere, no visitors.

Warwick

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 pm

I think it is very wise of people who are older or in a high risk group to be extra cautious and stay at home as much as they can and i would not criticise you for doing so. We have all made sacrifices for a long time now. I am just annoyed by people who say no-one should go to the beach or restaurant or travel abroad. We are very keen to blame young people now for spreading it but the truth is a lot of these young people are catching it and are fine with it. We have treatments now and there seem to be more cases but fewer deaths. We cant all stay at home is what im saying, and the ones that dont and therefore take more risks, shouldnt be made to feel guilty about it.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:12 pm

If the young people stay with only other young people and spread the disease amongst themselves then that's fine but they don't. The young waiter who serves me my meal in a taverna was probably at a beach party or in a nightclub at the weekend. He caught the virus from other young people who were circulating freely with no mitigating measures because they don't feel threatened. He then passes the virus on to me or his older relatives and I/they die. Obviously he shouldn't feel any guilt at all? Did you ever watch the film "The Masque of the Red Death"?

The spread of the disease is increasing. The number of people dying is increasing. Should we simply do nothing?

Warwick

ros21m

Postby ros21m » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:18 am

Chrissyg, please get your arse from out of wherever it is, what a condescending bitch you are! And trust me, it takes something absolutely outrageous for me to lose my cool. YOUR quote { I think it is very wise of people who are older or in a high risk group to be extra cautious and stay at home as much as they can and i would not criticise you for doing so. }IF YOU & all the other tourists, Greek, or foreign, didn't bring the virus here, we wouldn't need to stay at home! Trust me, this a a polite forum, somewhere else , I would tell you, exactly what I thought of you Please send me your contact deatails. You want to know when the tia yias on the island start dying? I'll gladly pass on those details to you, & your comments to their families! I have copied your comments & I will be passing them on, to every family.

Kookla

Postby Kookla » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 am

Kilkis wrote:
chrissyg wrote:...You surely cant think we can all stay at home until next year when the vaccine might save us.

What everybody else does is up to them but apart from going out to get food and drink I can stay at home pretty much indefinitely if I feel the need to do so. My local supermarket would even deliver my food and drink if I asked them to but I prefer to get it myself.

It was very important to me to go to France with my family in August but I didn't think it was sensible to do so, so we postponed the holiday until next year. Having not seen them in August it is very important to me to go to the UK to see my family in October but at the moment that doesn't look very sensible either so I probably won't. If I postpone to next spring it will mean I will not have seen them, other than on Skype, for 18 months. If spring still doesn't look good I will postpone to next August and if that still looks dodgy I will postpone to next October. I would rather not see my family for ten years than risk taking COVID-19 to them or bringing it back to my friends in Crete.

It is clear through the whole pandemic that there are people who want to do things so they do them, even though it isn't very sensible. There are others who put more weight on the possible consequences and don't do the things they want to do. I fit in the latter category. I have never found it particularly hard to forsake things I want to do if there are compelling reasons not to do them, other than drink gin and tonic, obviously, but that isn't very high risk.

Currently I still have the odd meal out but I am pretty careful choosing where I go. I also meet up with some friends who are taking a similar view to me so are probably pretty safe. No trips anywhere, no visitors.

Warwick

I agree with this sentiment apart from the bit about gin and tonic! Each to their own eh?
I read somewhere last week about a new slogan, to try to make the younger generation take on the seriousness of inadvertently spreading the virus. I think it was in Preston, North West Uk. ‘Don’t kill your granny’ !

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:03 am

Thankyou for calling me a bitch. This is a polite forum is it? I wasnt being condescending at all, i was stating that it is a wise desicion to stay at home if older and vulnerable like some of my family are doing right now and i am unable to see them. I do not know how to report you but you shouldnt post nasty things like that and get away with it. I was voicing an opinion, and not only did you take it the wrong way but you are very rude!

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 am

Kookla wrote:...I agree with this sentiment apart from the bit about gin and tonic! Each to their own eh?...

It's OK Kookla. I am sure God will forgive you for rejecting his most precious gift to mankind.

Warwick

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:26 am

Kilkis wrote:If the young people stay with only other young people and spread the disease amongst themselves then that's fine but they don't. The young waiter who serves me my meal in a taverna was probably at a beach party or in a nightclub at the weekend. He caught the virus from other young people who were circulating freely with no mitigating measures because they don't feel threatened. He then passes the virus on to me or his older relatives and I/they die.

Warwick

This is the most important aspect which passes un-noticed by so many people. We met an old acquaintance (a maths teacher) the other day, in his 30's, who lives overseas. He came right up to us and when we gently edged away, his comment was: 'it's OK you guys, I was tested and I was OK'.

He arrived about 4 weeks ago and judging by his approach to us, heaven only knows how many gatherings he has been to and rushed to embrace his friends - opening up the possibility of catching the wretched virus. Totally missing the point of social distancing. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

Return to “General Discussion & News”