Flying Crete - UK

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
chrissyg

Re: Flying Crete - UK

Postby chrissyg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Yep, all totally possible, but i am forever hopeful that the majority of people are being sensible, naiive maybe.

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:54 pm

chrissyg wrote:Yep, all totally possible, but i am forever hopeful that the majority of people are being sensible, naiive maybe.

After visiting Lidl yesterday, I doubt it. There were just too many people not wearing masks, and just too many people crowded at the 2 available tills. It’s the last time I visit any Lidl.

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:07 pm

They seem quite good with that where i am in the UK. In Wales you dont have to wear a mask and people in waitrose obey the 2metre rule quite well. In England people wear masks but arent too bothered about the distancing in some supermarkets. False srnse of securoty maybe.They are both strict on numbers they let in though and i havent had to queue in months.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:12 pm

chrissyg wrote:They seem quite good with that where i am in the UK. In Wales you dont have to wear a mask and people in waitrose obey the 2metre rule quite well. In England people wear masks but arent too bothered about the distancing in some supermarkets. False srnse of securoty maybe.They are both strict on numbers they let in though and i havent had to queue in months.

Staff and customers all masked up in Rethymno LIDL today.. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:28 pm

Lidl Platanias not far from rethymno we walked in and saw tourists walking round without masks,
and staff with theirs at half mast so we done a 360 and left. So will use the one in Reth.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:21 pm

solitude1 wrote:Lidl Platanias not far from rethymno...

I think you mean Platanes. There is a Lidl there and it is near Rethymnon. There is also a Lidl in Platanias but that is to the West of Chania so not particularly near Rethymnon.

Warwick

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Who ever Ros21m is should be banned . I would take her post as a threat , being ex old bill I am pretty thick skinned but that post was well out of order ..

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:08 pm

shine on wrote:
chrissyg wrote:Yep, all totally possible, but i am forever hopeful that the majority of people are being sensible, naiive maybe.

After visiting Lidl yesterday, I doubt it. There were just too many people not wearing masks, and just too many people crowded at the 2 available tills. It’s the last time I visit any Lidl.

There's a security guard outside Lidl in Sitia - you can't get in without wearing a mask. And she's a big girl, let me tell you ....

Tim

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:12 pm

I don't know why but there was something about that post, Tim, that gave me the impression that you were considering turning up without a mask, or at least dreaming about the possible consequences?

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:17 pm

Probably a big queue there now.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:39 pm

I'm dreaming about it right now, Warwick. I'll be off the forum for a bit ...

chrissyg

Postby chrissyg » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:32 pm

thebigbluecheese wrote:Who ever Ros21m is should be banned . I would take her post as a threat , being ex old bill I am pretty thick skinned but that post was well out of order ..

Thanks, i am trying not to be upset about it and i am ignoring it. I have no idea how to get it removed or her banned. I dont think the administrator Caroline is around, she hasnt posted since April but thanks guys tor your support, i agree it was uncalled for.

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:49 pm

chrissyg wrote:
thebigbluecheese wrote:Who ever Ros21m is should be banned . I would take her post as a threat , being ex old bill I am pretty thick skinned but that post was well out of order ..

Thanks, i am trying not to be upset about it and i am ignoring it. I have no idea how to get it removed or her banned. I dont think the administrator Caroline is around, she hasnt posted since April but thanks guys tor your support, i agree it was uncalled for.

Please do not let the post upset you anymore - unfortunately there are rude and ignorant people everywhere. Someone else drew attention to the timing of he/she/its post so possibly too much booze was the reason - sadly some people are just plain nasty when they've had too much, it's their mental disorder and not yours :) For what it's worth, I too thought herd immunity meant the same as you did.

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:31 pm

We still don’t really know enough about this virus to speak with authority. The thought of herd immunity is frightening. There is also no guarantee at the moment as to how long any immunity would last. There could be people thinking they were immune after having the virus, yet spreading it liberally. One of the important issues when developing a vaccine is to know how long it will be effective for. - It is not only a case of safety, and making sure it works.

As for young people thinking they can party and ignore social distancing......I am appalled. ‘Don’t kill granny’ is a slogan that might get the message over to some youngsters, but clearly you only have to look at where the virus is spreading to see that many others are totally ignoring the warning. - The ‘party destinations‘ and nightclubs of Europe are already showing us!

We are all in this together. Young people have as much responsibility as everyone else re controlling Covid 19. It is a selfish attitude to think they can go out, gather in large groups, party, and act as if it isn’t going to spread the virus. I am also fed up with hearing about how young people are struggling with the mental pressure of the virus, and this is being used as an excuse for them to carry out these activities. I am very aware that some poor souls will be suffering with the social isolation etc, but this is the case for people of all ages. In the First World War teenagers were signing up to fight to ‘do their bit’ for their country. These days young people complain that they cannot gather in groups and have fun getting drunk and partying whilst the world is facing a pandemic.

I feel your comment about young people catching it and being fine, is misplaced Chrissyg. It is a problem, as they are spreading the virus throughout society. It is the very thing we should all be attempting to do. They might be fine with it, but they have a responsibility to others. Until there is a vaccine we all have to ‘do our bit’ regardless of our age.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:01 pm

Herd immunity isn't frightening, Maud. It is a good thing. If there was herd immunity the virus wouldn't spread. Trying to achieve it by simply letting the virus spread unchecked is what is frightening.

I found the news shots of Harry Maguire on Mykanos quite revealing. He was with a group of people none of whom were wearing masks. He started to talk to one of the group, first touching elbows rather than shaking hands. They were then talking to each other face to face with their faces about 6 inches apart followed by them putting their arms round each other's shoulders. Clearly they were going through the motions of obeying the rules with no idea of their purpose. I wonder how many people are doing the same?

1 If everybody thought about how the virus spreads and applied hygiene rules to minimise that spread.
2 If everybody stayed as far away from everybody else as they possibly could.
3 If everybody wore masks covering both mouth and nose whenever they couldn't stay far away from everybody else.
4 If governments implemented a test-trace-isolate programme that really worked.

Then life could go on virtually as normal. No other restrictions. No lockdown. No closure of the economy. No loss of jobs. Sadly it is just too damned difficult that people can't do it.

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”