Dash Cam

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
shine on

Dash Cam

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:07 pm

After quite a few near misses with cars, people and animals here in Crete (none being my fault) I wondered if anyone has a dash cam?
Would it help with the insurance company when I show them evidence that -
‘He/she just slowly walked out in front of me’
‘The dog/s run out from nowhere’
‘He/she open their car door into my path’
‘He/she was laying in the road’
‘He/she was on the wrong side of the road’
‘He/she forced me off the road whilst on their mobile’
‘I didn’t see the other car as it had no lights’
‘The carpet he was carrying on his scooter fell off causing me to swerve’
I could list quite a few more.
Your thoughts.

Kamisiana

Re: Dash Cam

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:23 pm

Think you might find you could fall foul of the law, Greeks are a bit twitchy when it comes to that sort of surveillance.

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm

So no good for insurance companies?

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:38 pm

shine on wrote:So no good for insurance companies?

Don,t think so I looked into it, it may have changed but I doubt it, if you google it it's a rather gray area with the law.

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks, I did google it and found this -
‘ Use of Dash Cams is a fairly grey area in Greece. They are legal for personal use but are illegal for publication and insurance purposes. They can only really be used in defence of criminal charges’.
Lucky I never ordered one.

bobscott

Postby bobscott » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:13 pm

Really, why would you want one anyway? This is Greece. Bob.
Yesterday today was tomorrow. Don't dilly dally!

shine on

Postby shine on » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Because of the many occasions if it were not for my driving skills, things could have been different and may go against me with no proof. Maybe I drive around here more than most, I am constantly in Chania, so come across more ‘obstacles’. I have also seen many accidents, some shocking. Rented cars going too fast down little back roads is asking for trouble. The reason for the cam would be for insurance evidence only, not to post on social media which has become the norm in the UK. But I’ll accept the privacy use as in other European countries, it’s not just Greece.

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:03 pm

I have a dash-cam simple reason is i live near a town called Perema aka Dodge city, redneck wild west,
where several accidents occur daily. What good it will do me if i have an accident i honestly do not know,
but it gives me a bit of re-assurance.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to ask your insurance agent/company if dash cam footage can be used as evidence of fault in the case of an accident?

Warwick

solitude1

Postby solitude1 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:32 pm

I think i would get the usual shrug of the shoulders if i was to ask.

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:14 pm

Kilkis wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to ask your insurance agent/company if dash cam footage can be used as evidence of fault in the case of an accident?

Warwick

This I plan to do on Monday, but I’m not confident I’ll get the answer I am hoping for, it’ll probably be a mixture of the words - maybe, yes and no. Maybe a police officer would be a better option. It is odd how they sell them everywhere here.
Your statement ‘solitude1’ makes me still think I should get one. I have seen the most awful crashes, it would be for my own benefit of proof even though it may not be used in evidence by the law.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:04 pm

I also wonder where you would stand with PC Plod re military installations you don't have to drive very far before you see the paranoid sign no photos of this fence, that also go'es for coast guard as well and i expect police also.
On an evening out in Xania my friend saw a Honda translap with Hellenic Coast Guard on it so he took a photo within a nano second Miss coast guard came staggering out off her office in 4" stilettos backed up by two more coast guard demanding he hand the camera over so she could delete any photos, it was Honda parked in the old harbor by all the restaurants and thousands of tourists not a missile launcher in Souda bay.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:32 am

Since people seemed to think their insurance agents wouldn't be able to help them I decided to ask mine, who never ever "shrugs his shoulders". He said that they are not widely used in Greece but some people are fitting them and they are not illegal. He also told me that last year he had a customer who had fitted a dash cam and then had an accident. The dash cam footage proved conclusively that the other driver was at fault but the other driver's insurance company refused to accept liability. They sent the dash cam footage to the other insurance company and they then accepted liability "as they understood that there would be no luck for them in a court case." His words. He then added, "So Yes, this could be used in the case of a crash in Greece, either informally to argue blame between two insurance companies or formally in a court case."

I think insurance disputes going to court in Greece is more common than in the UK. A large percentage of people in the UK have comprehensive insurance. In that case the insurance companies tend to act on a knock-for-knock basis as settling themselves and passing on some of the cost to their driver through loss of no-claims bonus is cheaper than fighting court cases. In Greece most drivers have third party so clearly they can't claim on their own insurance and each tries to claim against the other.

Warwick

PS Dash cams are recording all the time the car is moving but the footage is overwritten not saved. Footage is only saved in the event of an accident so unless the accident occurred outside a military base there would be no recording of a military establishment. The dash cams record the road directly in front of the vehicle, or behind in the case of a rear mounted one, so there would be no footage of the base itself. I don't think military bases would be an issue unless the vehicle was driven inside the base. In that case I think the guard on the gate would take steps.

PPS I have often seen people in the café Kalami Parking leaning against the no photography signs to steady the camera while they took shots of Souda Bay.

shine on

Postby shine on » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:25 pm

Brilliant, thanks Warwick. I’m ordering one tonight.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:22 pm

Given the likelihood the cop who you call to an accident may well be a good friend or relative of the Cretan driver who hit you or is at fault I would say it makes perfect sense to have a Dash-cam. I always bring mine with me from UK and stick in the hire car. Of course, "hire Car" place another dimension on the matter. A ROVE R2-4K is one of the best there is for the price. I have had mine for 2 years, it is perfect. The high definition and wide span is exceptional. I also did the Samarian Gorge and strapped it to m chest with a battery in my pocket. As good as any Go Pro. Perfect.

Return to “General Discussion & News”