WHAT IS THE FUTURE FOR CRETE POST CONVID-19

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: WHAT IS THE FUTURE FOR CRETE POST CONVID-19

Postby Kilkis » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:28 pm

Surely it's up to the members. If the union executives are paid too much the members can simply stop paying their subs. No subs - no executive pay.

Warwick

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:53 am

No subs no representation. Baby/bathwater. It is very common to find the mass of people do not "have your back" as they say. They do not have conviction of beliefs. Ask 99.9% of trade union members if they are happy their leader gets more pay than the Prime Minister they will say "absolutely disgusting"!! (OK dont split hairs on exact amounts - the point is made) yet virtually all the major unions have leaders on exceptionally high pay way beyond that which is appropriate (apparently it is appropriate) in my view. I am not saying they should be on basic pay linked to say a Train Driver.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am

I was a member of a trade union for 12 years from the day I started work. I paid my subs for all those years. When I and 6 colleagues needed the union to represent us in a redundancy dispute they didn't want to know. We represented ourselves and got a result that, while not ideal, we could live with, in my case a year's salary in redundancy pay. If we had relied on the union we would have got nothing. I left the union and have never been a union member since. I don't care what their leaders get paid because I am not paying it.

I developed a different philosophy to working life. I would put every effort necessary into getting the job done successfully. I never asked for overtime, I never asked for a rise, I never asked for a promotion. Periodically I would evaluate if what I was getting out of the job, which includes things other than salary, more or less matched what I was putting in. If it did I carried on. If it didn't then I found a new job. It management wanted to keep me it was their job to ensure the rewards were sufficient. No representation needed. It's a self regulating philosophy. If I am totally honest with myself about what my skills are worth and the rewards I am getting do not match that, then I will find a job elsewhere where they do. If I am not totally honest with myself about what my skills are worth then I won't find another job with higher rewards and I will have to put up with what I am getting. Worked for me for 30 years and I kept all those beer tokens I would have paid in subs.

Warwick

PS My son uses the same philosophy. He didn't get it from me, he came to the same conclusion entirely on his own.

Yorgo

Postby Yorgo » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:11 pm

I think what you say is admirable. It is almost a blue print for the American way. However, the general populace do not fit into square pegs for square holes, so to speak. The mindset of people is not one pathway. The fact is we can not all be Doctors or Ministers of state. We are the result of our experiences and influences which eventually produces what we are to be. Our individual values and principles, ethics etc produces the person and direction in life. In short, a priori, the multi faceted society, economy, means of production has necessitated the need for trade unions wherein a dependency evolves as a consensus producing power through leverage.
Even the Doctors have and need the BMA which is a posh trade union.
The lorry drivers were laughed at in the 1960s, literally laughed at by politicians because the threatened industrial action. Guess what happened? The whole country was brought to a standstill. Never again was working class people treated with such arrogance and dismissiveness.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:16 pm

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:03 pm

For someone who professes such love for Greece, Kamisiana, you do seem to take great delight whenever something bad happens here?

Pitsos is an excellent company. They were especially strong in the area of refrigerators and freezers and a lot of Bosch and Siemens designs were really re-badged Pitsos models, perhaps with minor styling changes to differentiate them, e.g. different interior moulding with different shelf spacing. I did quite a lot of test work for the company before I retired and the quality of the products were very good. I have owned Pitsos fridge/freezers, ovens and dishwashers and they have never let me down. They were all cheaper than the equivalent Bosch or Siemens models and virtually identical. I would imagine that a lot of Turks would not buy a Greek product as I am sure many Greeks will not buy a Turkish made one. Turkey is a much bigger market so it makes economic sense for the parent company to move production there. Very sad for the workers here who will struggle to find alternative jobs.

Warwick

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm

Kilkis wrote:For someone who professes such love for Greece, Kamisiana, you do seem to take great delight whenever something bad happens here?

Pitsos is an excellent company. They were especially strong in the area of refrigerators and freezers and a lot of Bosch and Siemens designs were really re-badged Pitsos models, perhaps with minor styling changes to differentiate them, e.g. different interior moulding with different shelf spacing. I did quite a lot of test work for the company before I retired and the quality of the products were very good. I have owned Pitsos fridge/freezers, ovens and dishwashers and they have never let me down. They were all cheaper than the equivalent Bosch or Siemens models and virtually identical. I would imagine that a lot of Turks would not buy a Greek product as I am sure many Greeks will not buy a Turkish made one. Turkey is a much bigger market so it makes economic sense for the parent company to move production there. Very sad for the workers here who will struggle to find alternative jobs.

Warwick

Yet again you have to poke that bulbus bugle in and make it personal I do not take any delight when something bad happens there I was merely pointing out the irony a German company that bought out Pitsos then transfers the production to Turkey
when the opening post of this thread was about what the devastating effect the Chinese virus has had on the Greek economy.
PS does that mean keeptalkinggreece were taking great delight by running the story.

Return to “General Discussion & News”