Covid/Vit D

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Eleni13

Re: Covid/Vit D

Postby Eleni13 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:32 am

Warwick, the voice of sanity as usual. Having had a Polio as a child -yes, 1950 - I get really angry listening to anti-vaccine loonies who tell me it is a trivial disease. Try living for 70 years with the effects and see just how trivial it is to try to carry on a normal life. The more these opinions spread, the greater the chance that the disease will spread around the world again. The same applies to the other plagues, like Smallpox, TB, and yes, Covid19. Give me the vaccine, and as soon as possible.

DJ

Postby DJ » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:39 am

Well said, Eleni 13 x

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:17 am

TweetTweet

Postby TweetTweet » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:27 am

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:01 am

Earlier in the thread I demonstrated that one of the tables in the Stopworldcontrol web page ,inked by TweetTweet was completely fake. I also wrote:

Kilkis wrote:...How much other fake data is contained in the presentation? A puzzle for you. The Espacenet table immediately above the WITS table, purporting to show that Rothschild patented a test method for COVID-19 in 2015 is also a fake. See if you can work it out.

Nobody seems to have tried but in case anybody is interested here is reality with links to all relevant data. It is useful to see how these conspiracy theorists deceive you.

Firstly there is a Richard A Rothschild but I have no idea if he is part of the banking Rothschild family who tend to feature in all conspiracy theories. If you search for patents by Rothschild there are over 3,000 and I am pretty sure they are not all part of the banking family. The one in the article is based in London. He did indeed file a patent application in conjunction with Dan Macklin of Stafford, Robin S. Slomkowski and Taska Harnischfeger both of Eugene, Oregon. The initial provisional application was indeed filed on 13 October 2015. Wow it all looks real doesn’t it? Sadly not.

Firstly he filed the patent application in the US not in the Netherlands as stated in the article. The Dutch web site shown in the presentation is not the Dutch patent office it is a Dutch version of a European patent data base that allows you to search for patents virtually anywhere in the world.

I can’t find the original provisional application but he also filed a continuation on 13 October 2016, perhaps because provisional applications expire after 1 year, and then a full application on 24 April 2017 https://patents.justia.com/patent/20170229149 . The patent relates to a system for displaying biometric data and in particular collecting it using a mobile phone and computers so it can be synchronised to other data such as video data. This application incorporates the 2015 original provisional application and the 2016 continuation in full. If you search the document you will find no mention of COVID-19 so it was not mentioned in 2015, 2016 or 2017.

Subsequently on 11 February 2019 the same group of people filed another US patent application https://patents.justia.com/patent/20190325914 relating to the same system of monitoring biometric data. Again the word COVID does not appear anywhere in the application.

Next on 5 December 2019 the same group filed another application concerning the same system https://patents.justia.com/patent/20200126593 Again there is no mention of COVID.

Finally on 17 May 2020, I repeat 17 May 2020, the same group made another application concerning the same system but this time mentioning its use in the treatment of COVID-19 https://patents.justia.com/patent/20200279585

The Dutch data base contains the 2015 date because that is where the whole patent process started for this particular system. It is the first citation. COVID did not appear until May 2020. It is also worth noting that the system does not test for COVID-19 as the presentation linked by TweetTweet says. It is used in the monitoring of biometric data from patients who have COVID-19. It can be used with any biometric sensors, e.g. pulse oximeter, blood pressure monitor, thermometer etc, collect the data for analysis and synchronised display. It could be used in the clinical diagnosis of any disease where the diagnosis is based on datas from instrumentation.

Please don’t forget that the presentation has been 100 % Fact Checked so it all must be true.

Warwick

PS If you use the “find on this page” function to search for COVID it will find a match on all the above links. That is because the Justia Patents web site has a “COVID-19 Update control button at the top of every page. On all except the last link that is the only reference found. On the last link it finds it in the document.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:23 am

With regard to the last two TweetTweet links regarding Vitamin D I have a few comments. Firstly I totally agree that adequate levels of Vitamin D are essential for a healthy immune system. I think all medics agree on this. Secondly I agree that many people do not get enough Vitamin D especially older people. I think all medics agree on this. Thirdly, given 1 and 2, I think taking a Vitamin D supplement is a wise thing to do. It is cheap and can't really do any harm. It is also useful in preventing other ailments. I take a daily supplement myself.

Where I hit problems is when it is promoted as a cure for COVID-19. I think the jury is out on that. There have been many claims for cures for COVID-19 but when most of them are submitted to rigorous, large scale medical trials they don't live up to expectations. I also have some concerns about the Mercola article.

The article claims that patients were given 106,400 IUs of vitamin D on the day of admittance and subsequently 53,200 IUs on days 3 and 7 and then weekly up to discharge. These are absolutely massive doses. The absolutely highest RDA I could find for Vitamin D supplement was 4,000 IUs per day. Most sources recommend under 2,000 IUs per day. This aims to produce a Vitamin D level in the blood of 20–30 ng/ml. A safe upper limit is regarded as 60 ng/ml and above 150 ng/mL is regarded as toxic. If a toxic level is only 3 times the recommended normal level giving a dose that is 25 times the absolutely biggest recommended dose I could find, 50 times the biggest dose recommended by the Endocrine society and over 100 times the dose recommended by the Institute of Medicine does seem a little reckless.

Another issue I have with the Mercola article is that the high dose Vitamin D was given with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin. There is little evidence that these are effective. Everybody knows that President Trump is a big fan of hydroxychloroquine and even took it for a couple of weeks as a precaution against COVID-19. When he actually caught COVID-19 what treatment was he given? A combination Dexamethasone, Remdesivir and an experimental drug produced by Regeneron consisting of two types of monoclonal antibodies.

Remdesivir is a broad spectrum antiviral that can be given early and has been shown to decrease the length of the illness by about 4 days in some trials and not in others so the jury is out on this one. It is very expensive.

Dexamethasone is a very powerful steroid that acts as an anti-inflammatory. In one trial it was shown to reduce the risk of death for advanced patients. For those on a ventilator it reduced it by one third and for advanced cases not serious enough to need a ventilator by one fifth. It did not help with less advanced cases at all and there was some evidence it might be harmful to mild patients. At least it's very cheap.

Very useful results but not really the game changer often claimed. Both drugs are known and licensed for the treatment of other illnesses and have been given provisional approval for use with COVID-19 where appropriate.

The Regeneron drug is still on trial and has no approval. It is totally experimental. It more or less tries to replicate the use of antibodies extracted from recovered patients but by synthetic means.

If hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin really are proven cures, as some people claim, why did what is arguably one the best medical teams in the world working in one of the best hospitals in the world treating one of the most important people in the world, who happens to believe in those drugs, use alternative therapies and totally reject hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin?

Warwick

Return to “General Discussion & News”