UK car to Crete Import cost?

For discussion, news, comments, questions and information about Crete & Greece.
Kilkis

Re: UK car to Crete Import cost?

Postby Kilkis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 pm

thebigbluecheese wrote:...I've just sold my Citroen c1 imported from uk , cost to change plates uk to Greek 600 euros ... Friend of mine imported a year old vw estate from Germany last year , cost 500 euros . He paid a couple of hundred on top to use an agent

For your C1 could you say in what year it was first registered and when you imported it? For your friends VW estate could you say what model it was and what engine size and also when it was first registered?

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:02 am

Jean wrote:Don't do it.

Totally agree, for many reasons I first pointed out. You live here, you have a Greek registered car, not to obey any law, but for simplicity. If anyone returned to the UK permanently, I’m sure they wouldn’t take their Greek car with them to use in the UK, be darn right silly.

thebigbluecheese

Postby thebigbluecheese » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:28 am

Kilkis wrote:
thebigbluecheese wrote:...I've just sold my Citroen c1 imported from uk , cost to change plates uk to Greek 600 euros ... Friend of mine imported a year old vw estate from Germany last year , cost 500 euros . He paid a couple of hundred on top to use an agent

For your C1 could you say in what year it was first registered and when you imported it? For your friends VW estate could you say what model it was and what engine size and also when it was first registered?

Warwick

Mine was done in 2008 , my friends car is a big 1800 estate , 2018 , it was a demonstatrion vehicle for a car sales company in Germany . Kept it at his registered address for 6 months after purchase , , the agent did everything else , he just drove it here , picked up the Greek plates and that was it

Joan

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:35 am

I agree with the advice given in this thread, particularly to sort it out first. We originally planned to import a car this spring, and had several (personal and emailed) conversations with the lady who deals with this in the port of Souda. She is called Erika (?spelling), and is on ekt_cha@otenet.gr. Of course we could not drive down this spring. We restarted the conversation by email after we flew in July this year (not wishing to risk all of the overnight stops and the ferries because of Covid).

Erika told us very firmly - in rather less than perfect English, but her message was clear - that it would not now be economical to import our 2009 vehicle. She said that in early July this year there was a change in the regulations, as Greece now only wants new vehicles imported. So, in addition to the charges we had previously discussed (which we thought were acceptable), there is now a new charge for old vehicles, of 3000 euros. That ruled it out for us.

Joan

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:28 am

Since your friend kept it at his address for 6 months after buying it, it sounds like your friend did it under an exemption certificate. Is that how you did yours? As I said in my earlier post, if the car is brought under an exemption certificate I would expect the cost to be in the low hundreds. There is still some fee and again it will depend on engine size, which explains the difference in price for your C1 and your friend's VW.

It can be cost effective, even without an exemption certificate, if the car has a small engine. A friend of mine who has lived here for a long time and hence did not qualify for an exemption certificate still bought a car in the UK. He found a second hand, small engine, LHD car for sale in the UK at a very low price, partly because cars depreciate faster in the UK and partly because it was LHD. Even paying the fee to exchange to plates it was still much less than he would have needed to pay for the same car here.

The problem occurs with large engine luxury cars. Firstly, when new, they cost a lot more in Greece than in the UK. For example I think the official price for a Mercedes S Class 350d is around £80,000 in the UK, which equates to about €88,000, although you can get one for a lot less with dealer discounts. The same car in Greece has an official price of about €141,000, i.e. about 60 % more. Secondly cars depreciate much more slowly in Greece than in the UK. Typically in the UK a car depreciates around 50 % in the first 3 years. The official customs depreciation in Greece for a 3 year old car is around 25 %, i.e. 21 % for 2 to 3 years old and 28 % for 3 to 4 years old. With 60 % more initial cost and half the depreciation the value on which the plate transfer fee is charged is very big. For cars over 2 litre the minimum charge is 88 % of that value. For really old cars over 2 litre it can be as high as 385 % of that value. Obviously they will have depreciated more but the maximum depreciation used by Greek customs is 80 % no matter how old the car. I would guess that you could pick up a 20 year old Rolls Royce in the UK for under £20,000 and it wouldn't surprise me if it cost that again to change it to Greek plates.

Warwick

PS I was not aware of the new €3,000 charge, Joan. The document I have describing the charges is a bit old now. Is that doing it with an exemption certificate or paying the full transfer fee?

Joan

Postby Joan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 am

The implication was that it was in all cases - but I don't know.
We were not planning to use an exemption certificate.

Joan

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

My latest idea is to try and find a Greek registered car for sale in the UK...
This might work...

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:19 pm

tomcourtney wrote:My latest idea is to try and find a Greek registered car for sale in the UK...
This might work...

Don't forget it is not a simple process like in the UK where you just fill in the new keeper on the log book drive off and send it off, it can and has taken me days and several sorties to change ownership and don't forget the transfer tax

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:11 pm

tomcourtney wrote:My latest idea is to try and find a Greek registered car for sale in the UK...
This might work...

Or buy a Greek registered car in Crete. Car.gr or Supercars in Chania https://supercars-chania.car.gr/cars/ which I highly recommend. They speak perfect English and are genuinely nice people. You could phone him and ask him if he would buy your Merc.
I did think about buying and old banger for about £500, drive to Crete, scrap it if I could get cash for it, and then buy a Greek second hand car. In the end I sold my car in the UK, transported goods with Nomad and bought a new car here after renting one for a month at a low cost.
You have a dog so you have to plan around driving here and it seems like you have three options -
1 - Drive your Merc to Crete and register it legally at a high cost and with a load of grief, probably then stuck with a car too big for Crete.
2 - Drive your Merc to Crete and sell it, if possible, and then buy a Greek registered car.
3 - Sell your Merc in the UK and buy a cheaper car to drive to Crete, once here, buy a Greek registered car and then see if you can get any scrap cash for the UK car.
Any other options anyone?

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:48 pm

I did it with a small van, but the principle's the same:

Bought a van in UK, drove it to Crete and unloaded. Used it for a few weeks to buy furniture/building materials etc. Attempted to sell to any ex-pat who wanted it (failed). Drove it back to UK and sold it. Flew back.

It worked for me.

Tim

Maud

Postby Maud » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Drive your Merc out. Your dog will be comfortable in a car it knows, and you will be doing the journey in a car that you can trust.

You will then have six months to decide what to do. It will give you time to either search for a Greek registered car, and possibly sell the Merc in Greece. If all else fails, you can travel back in the U.K. in six months time, sell it there, and fly home to Kriti.

Kilkis

Postby Kilkis » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Kamisiana wrote:...Don't forget it is not a simple process like in the UK where you just fill in the new keeper on the log book drive off and send it off, it can and has taken me days and several sorties to change ownership and don't forget the transfer tax

I'm not sure what the problem is if it is already Greek registered? When I bought my motorbike I walked into the driving centre with the owner of the motorbike and walked out with the log book in my name. There was a slight hiccup because the payment machine at the driving centre wasn't working so we had to go to a bank to pay the transfer fee and return with the e-paravola. When I sold my car and bought a new one both transfers were dealt with by KEP. Again I had to go to a bank to pay the transfer fee for the one I was buying and the person buying mine had to do the same but other than that KEP did everything.

I think the really massive problem would be finding a car registered on Greek plates for sale in the UK. For a person bringing a Greek registered car to the UK it would be so easy to transfer it to UK plates why would they keep it on Greek plates?

Warwick

shine on

Postby shine on » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:35 pm

If the car is only worth £1500 max, is it really worth driving all the way back and then fly back out again. What if the owner only gets £1000, the cost of the trip back and a flight would surely not be worth it. What if it’s not sold immediately? nothing is gained in my opinion.

Kamisiana

Postby Kamisiana » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:01 am

This might work...

You also might need to get the previous owner to tag along to complete the paperwork as all my purchases and sales were a joint operation.
https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/greece ... a-used-car

tomcourtney

Postby tomcourtney » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:48 am

Will probably end up driving the Merc over and then try and sell it to someone coming back. 149k is a relatively low mileage for a 3.2 diesel so it might be of interest to someone for spares.
Or I’ll have a posh ‘Olive car’. :)

Return to “General Discussion & News”